Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Aaliyah

RoRo Guest

Aaliyah

I searched and couldn't believe we didn't have a thread of her own..
    I think she would have went far in singing and acting..she was so pretty..

R&B singer, dancer, entertainer and actress. Aaliyah (Arabic for "highest, most exalted one") Dana Haughton was born in Brooklyn, New York on January 16, 1979. She and her family moved to Detroit, Michigan when she was five. Aaliyah made her first stage debut as an orphan in a production of "Annie" at age 6 and got her start in show business at age 10 by way of the popular talent show "Star Search". Her break is credited to her uncle Barry Hankerson, her manager, CEO and owner of her management company, Blackground Enterprises. Aaliyah acquired the world's attention in 1994 at the age of 15 when her first single "Back and Forth" landed #1 on the 100 singles chart, followed by other hits on her debut album, Age Ain't Nothing But A Number which eventually went gold. The provocative nature of the album's title and lyrics, as well as the mystery of her true age at the time sparked a media frenzy about an alleged union between Aaliyah and R&B singer and mentor R. Kelly. The frenzy blossomed into a barrage of media rumors threatening to thwart a promising career. To this day it is not certain if there was ever a union between the two. In 1996 Aaliyah released her second album One In A Million. Before the close of 1997 the album would go double platinum with successful hits from the album: "4 Page Letter", "Hot Like Fire", and "The One I Gave My Heart To" shaking away any worries of a sophomore slump. Sound track work soon followed for Aaliyah with contributions to the movies Anastasia ("Journey To The Past") and Dr. Doolittle ("Are You That Somebody?"). Around this time Aaliyah also began filming on her screen debut in Andrzej Bartkowiak's Romeo Must Die. "Try Again," taken from the movie soundtrack, went to the top of the US singles chart in June of 2000. The following years self titled third album demonstrated a new maturity and confidence with Aaliyah publically bidding farewell to her teenage years. At the age of 22 in 2001, Aaliyah was on top of the world with Grammy and Oscar nominations already under her belt. The platinum-selling artist and actress had a bright future, but it was to be short lived. Tragedy struck on August 25, 2001 when, after filming a video in the Bahamas for an album, Aaliyah and various members of her record company attempted to fly to Opa-Locka, Florida aboard a small plane (Cessna 402-B). On that afternoon shortly after takeoff from Marsh Harbor, Abaco Island Bahamas, at 6:50 PM, the small light aircraft crashed about 200 feet from the runway killing Aaliyah and everyone aboard with the exception of four passengers, who were pulled from the wreckage and later died at a hospital. It was later determined that the cause of the crash was due to an overloaded plane. In New York on August 31, following her funeral at St. Ignatius Layola Church, a horse-drawn carriage carried Aaliyah to her grave. Her third album posthumously climbed to the #1 position in America, while in the UK "More Than A Woman" reached the top of the singles chart in January 2002

SinKittyVixen Guest

Sucks.

Aaliyah.I loved her music when I was younger. Ive always been scared of dying in a plane crash. The horror for that few minutes/seconds..Makes my stomach turn. And due to an overloaded plane to boot.
    ~SinKitty

b57hrle Guest
    She was a very beautiful woman... I loved her in Queen of the Damned. I think she would have went really far in acting!

She had a beautiful voice and seemed so humble.
    I remember hearing about her death on the news when it happened and my heart sunk a little. So sad and tragic.
    ??If you enter this world knowing you are loved and you leave this world knowing the same, then everything that happens in between can be dealt with.? - Michael Jackson

SanDiegodeathhag19 Guest
    she did seem like a humble soul

Kathyf Guest
    That was such a sad story. I did ot lisen to her music much but I liked the movie she was in at the time.

Morrissey Guest
    One of my honourary cousins was named after her in memory.

Bigfoot Guest
    I was sad when she passed. She looked like a very nice girl.

different kind of girl Guest
    I don't know much about her music either, but my nephew just loves her. I remember the scroll on the bottom of the screen on CNN when she died. I'd heard of her and then as always, became more interested in her story after she passed.

SarahThirteen Guest
    I was in th car with my mom sister and brother on our way to six flags when it came on the radio... made me sad.... I also loved Queen Of The Damned and her music was nice. always loved her videos

good singer and actress shame about her untimely departure though.

Kersten Guest
    The OP got me curious so I searched for Aaliyah's Star Search appearance on youtube: http://youtube.com/watch?v=EVBZ8C3PObw

this is a tribute to her by various artists. It was so sad that she died with so much ahead of her (life, carreer, etc). She was beautiful in all ways, I believe she was just a beautiful soul.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjHrAdkNGl0

Did I read somewhere that the plane was overloaded because she insisted on bringing ALL of her luggage back with her? It seems the article/person/new/whatever said that the pilot told her the plane would be carrying too much weight and that it could come on another flight later when all the video stuff came back. She threw a fit and insisted HER luggage come with the passengers. Not trying to demoralize her memory, but that's what I heard.
    For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 8:38-39

Yes, it is sad. And the plane being overloaded, my God so tragic!

Aaliyah was talented...i loved her music! Especially we need a resolution! that tune was amazing. She was set to work with beck soon so she would have experimented musically. Her acting wasnt bad either.... that girl had so much going for her. such a waste, as soon as i was told an rnb singer had died in a plane accident (my parents told me - they said she started with a a) - i KNEW it was Aaliyah. It was heart breaking to see her brother at the mtv awards honoring Aaliyah - you could see his sorrow when she was on the big screen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDEp__ZjYfI we need a resolution
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi9Bq9P2OH8 - rock the boat...filmed before she went on that fateful plane journey
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLELnmr_Fpg Aaliyah Ultimate Tribute (5th Death Anniversary)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2l1JqE7NNrc in queen of the damned

Jazbabee Guest
    Very sad death, and yes I do believe she was talented. It didn't hurt her either that she was Gladys Knights' niece

laptop23 Guest

is AALIYAH'S death a big lost?

who still care that singer actress AALIYAH is dead?
    hmmm...still dead...
    i remember that 7 years ago was one big cry after this ANGEL like her fans claimed.
    ANGEL????
    indeed?

xenaswolf Guest
    Every death is a big loss to someone. I'm sure her family and friends and fans still find it a big loss.

We got a thread for her in the MUSICIANS section...

http://www.findadeath.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1788

While I wasn't a fan, it's sad to lose someone so young, and in such a tragic way. And as xenaswolf pointed out, I'm sure her family and friends and fans still miss her.

Jazbabee Guest
    She was popular, and certainly seemed to have the potential to be even bigger than she was. Unfortunately with her life cut short, so young, no one will ever be able to answer your question.

Mamma Guest
    I didn't know really who Aaliyah was, sorry to say. I know she was doing the film The Matrix, but that's about it. Her death, questions how the crash occured, and monumental burial occured just mere days before 9/11. Once 9/11 happened, that pretty much booted Aaliyah off the news.

Quote Originally Posted by laptop23 View Post
    hmmm...still dead...
    i remember that 7 years ago was one big cry after this ANGEL like her fans claimed.
    ANGEL????
    indeed?

We've got ourselves another troll. Every post so far from this dude/dudette is meant to stir things up. Time to go report!

RaRaRamona Guest
    She was unbelievably gorgeous. I loved her style; it was very unique but hip. I remember watching the "Rock the Boat" video for the first time - the last clip was so haunting.

Last edited by Dan33185; 12-21-2010 at 01:33 AM.

Irishlass Guest
    she was certainly a talent

imogene schlogenwockle Guest
    You couldn't believe that she didn't have a thread of her own?? I had never heard of her before reading about her death and it shocks me that all of these people on this thread had actually heard her sing something.

I'm not a fan, but she was so young, and gooooorgeous, and her funeral was out of this world. I was a producer for a morning local news show when it happened and you could not escape it. It was a Big Story. (And then, you're right, 9/11 happened.)

I read somewhere that she was badly burned but still alive when they got to her? Anyone know? I couldn't find an autopsy report or anything.

Is this the ignorant fool who ignored all protests from the pilot of the aircraft that her luggage was overloading the flight? And then had a HUGE hissy fit and demanded that all the luggage go onboard? It did, and the plane crashed killing all onboard?

"Stupid is as stupid does", to quote Forrest Gump.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

hotmama Guest
    i read it in the paper and it was just a small portion. i guess the newspaper was not sure if it was true at that time. but 9/11 happened and not too much about her was published until months later. she passed toward the end of august 2001. 9/11 was weeks later. another singer died the same way as aaliyah and around the same time. there was not too much about her though. her name was melanie thornton. i think she was with labouche. my daughter has her songs on her mp3.

hotmama Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by neilmpenny View Post
    Is this the ignorant fool who ignored all protests from the pilot of the aircraft that her luggage was overloading the flight? And then had a HUGE hissy fit and demanded that all the luggage go onboard? It did, and the plane crashed killing all onboard?

"Stupid is as stupid does", to quote Forrest Gump.
    now you know that was not nice. she was not the only one who died others were killed as well. 9 i believe in all. so nine families had to bury a loved one.the pilot had some shit with him also. he did not have a valid license i believe. i think he may have been under the influence or had been on other ocassions. look it up i forgot. the company was sued by aaliyah's family and won. we can say alot of famous people are stupid. no one said heath ledger was stupid. or brad renfro was stupid. that was all drug related. a loss is a loss not matter how ignorant and stupid. hell aaliyah is gone and her family has to deal with it . heath and brad are gone their families are hurt and sad over them. i am not trying to scold or be self righteous. but have some compassion.

hotmama Guest
    hmmm...still dead...
    ANGEL????
    indeed?
    don't hate because she was rich and famous. she was talented and had a lot of potential. she was beautiful. no plastic surgery or hair weaves and also no hair pieces either. she was natural. she could sing dance and act. she was a beautiful woman. had she had lived, she could have ranked up there with Lena horne, Dorothy dandridge, ella fitzgerald. she could have been up ther with marilyn, and rita. aaliyah's mother raised a talented child. yes there were mistakes like the R. Kelly (pedophile) marriage. i bet her mom knew nothing until it was over. aaliyah eventually knew that was a mistake and she did not discuss it either i think because she was so ashamed and embarassed. but she came out of that and became famous for her talent not R Kelly. she was talented and not you or no one else can take that from her. she touched alot of lives and she was humble. her name has been mentioned in alot of songs since her death. that is how much she is missed. we need to show a little compassion. lets get down to brass tax, alot of famous people mentioned on this site are not angels either. some of them were low lives. but who are we to judge?they still had a family that loved them and misses them.

According to the NTSB report, "the pilot, Luis Morales III, was not approved to pilot the plane he was attempting to fly. Morales falsely obtained his FAA license by showing hundreds of hours never flown, and he may also have falsified how many hours he had flown in order to get a job with his employer, Blackhawk International Airways. Additionally, an autopsy performed on Morales revealed traces of cocaine and alcohol in his blood."

Sounds to me like he shouldn't have been anywhere near an aircraft in the first place. How do unqualified people think they can fly an airplane, which is not like driving say, a taxi or a bus, and which, upon some screw-up, could potentially plummet to the ground and send several people to their death? MORON. It is beside the point whether Aaliyah was an angel or not - she's gone and someone, somewhere, misses and loves her. Death should never be a flippant subject.

Except when we're making fun of it on here.

Hotmama - you hit the nail on the head when you said R. Kelly is a pedophile. He makes me ill, even his voice makes my skin crawl, barf. Dave Chappelle's spoof of him is hilarious!

we need an autopsy report on her.
    "I'm not great at the advice, can I interest you in a sarcastic comment?"

Quote Originally Posted by xoxojessicaxoxo View Post
    we need an autopsy report on her.
    I think we know why she died.
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

Quote Originally Posted by ichabodius View Post
    But still, an autopsy report is needed!

Maruz83 Guest
    I liked her music and all but I don't know if she was a good person... sorry never met her or claim to.

Last edited by neilmpenny; 04-03-2008 at 03:43 PM.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

Quote Originally Posted by ichabodius View Post
    oh ich! you got me there. i still need the oogy details.
    "I'm not great at the advice, can I interest you in a sarcastic comment?"

Quote Originally Posted by amaranthaseven View Post
    We've got ourselves another troll. Every post so far from this dude/dudette is meant to stir things up. Time to go report!

Yep, I agree.
    "Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's Heaven on Earth" - Mark Twain

BAGOBONES Guest
    I Thought It Was A Joke When I Heard She Passed.i Read It In The Local Section Of The Newspaper Awd Was In Shock. Because It Wasnt In The Front Section Of The Paper.she Was So Young And I Never Heard Any Diva Stories About Her,so I Assume She Was A Naturally Nice Person.i Read That The Coroner Said That Alliyah Went Into Shock As Rge Plane Was Going Down And Rgar She Had A Weak Heart.she Suffered Burns And Head Trauma And Wouldnt Have Survived Any Way Because Of Her Weak Heart. Such A Shame

baltimore1977 Guest
    According to this article - http://archives.cnn.com/2001/WORLD/a...aaliyah.crash/ - there were 574 lbs of luggage on the plane. That left 805 lbs for the 9 passengers... another 600 lbs on top of that still would have put the plane in jeopardy. They just had too many people onboard. I haven't seen any reports of Aaliyah specifically being a bitch about the luggage, either.

Another interesting fact I read is that her 300-lb bodyguard survived the night and died awaiting transport back to the states for treatment.

Really good article here about the crash: http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...=&pagewanted=1

mabelkitty Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by hotmama View Post
    now you know that was not nice. she was not the only one who died others were killed as well. 9 i believe in all. so nine families had to bury a loved one.the pilot had some shit with him also. he did not have a valid license i believe. i think he may have been under the influence or had been on other ocassions. look it up i forgot. the company was sued by aaliyah's family and won. we can say alot of famous people are stupid. no one said heath ledger was stupid. or brad renfro was stupid. that was all drug related. a loss is a loss not matter how ignorant and stupid. hell aaliyah is gone and her family has to deal with it . heath and brad are gone their families are hurt and sad over them. i am not trying to scold or be self righteous. but have some compassion.
    The pilot had a history of bad flying. This accident was the catalyst for bringing out changes in pilot records known as PRIA. The charter company had no idea about his record, but now that is a thing of the past. Also, there are different certificates that planes fly under, such as Part 91 where the passenger has ultimate control of the craft even though they don't fly. Like John Travolta. He is a pilot and he has the ability to make those types of flying decisions directed to the pilot (if he is a passenger in a plane flying under Part 91). In this case, it appears the pilot's lack of skill and knowledge is what ultimately caused the crash. All pilots I know would have refused to fly. Period.

deathhagcutie Guest
    i wish there were good pics of the scene, like our fav Brazilian band

pryncssdeb Guest
    I watched the end of The Queen Of The Damned the other day.. and all I could think about was how awful it was that Aaliyah died just after ending the primary filming. They used her brother for voice over work after she passed, there was a lot of it in post.

She had another movie, a few years before, called Romeo Must Die. She was an excellent actress, and completely believable.

I remember when it happened, I was in shock I think. It was the first time in my life that I can remember when a "star" died who was close to my age. I still marvel at it... how it happened, things like that. Same reason I'm obsessed with celebs... damn you Star Magazine! :lol:

deb

mike Guest
    hmmm...still dead...
    ANGEL????
    indeed?
    Remember That When Someone Croaks In Your Family

SinKittyVixen Guest
    Pathologists have confirmed that Aaliyah died from severe burns and a blow to the head, after the 2001 plane crash in the BAHAMAS.

The coroner's inquest, carried out by Dr. Giovander Raju on crash site Abaco Island, also confirmed that the 22 year-old singer suffered from a weak heart, reports Billboard.

"Aaliyah
    went into such a state of shock, even if she had survived the crash, recovery would have been near impossible," explained Raju.

The singer, and eight others, died after the chartered Cessna 402B, carrying the singer and her entourage from Marsh Harbour in the Bahamas to Miami's Opa-locka, crashed soon after take-off on August 25 2001. The plane was overloaded by an estimated 700 pounds.

Aaliyah??s parents have since reached an undisclosed settlement with Blackhawk International Airways Corp, the plane??s operator, owners Skystream Inc, Gilbert Chacon and flight broker Atlantic Flight Group in a negligence lawsuit.