Thread: Alice Crimmins

TheMysterian Guest

Alice Crimmins case

I checked the threads,but did not find this one. I was a teenager in High School at the time and was fascinated by it. There are many pages,so I'll just post the link,does anyone remember this one?
    http://www.crimelibrary.com/notorious_murders/family/crimmins/1.html

I'm going to move this into the Other Deaths In the News category now. It should get more exposure there.

tarsier Guest

Alice Crimmins

I searched but didn't find anything on this case here. I original read i on Crime Library but am lost in their new format.
    I remember my aunt and mother arguing this one when I was very little. Alice Crimmons was a single mother of two child who dissappeared from their bed room one day mid 1960's. Alice was tried and I believe evenrually aquitted for this crime. Many folks like my Aunt also a single mother felt Alice was tried based on her life style as single parenting in the sixties was still very frowned upon.
    Any opinions on this crime did she or didn't she do it?

malaki Guest
    If you go to trutv.com and hit the trutv library tab that's where you'll want to be...

Quote Originally Posted by tarsier View Post
    I searched but didn't find anything on this case here. I original read i on Crime Library but am lost in their new format.
    I remember my aunt and mother arguing this one when I was very little. Alice Crimmons was a single mother of two child who dissappeared from their bed room one day mid 1960's. Alice was tried and I believe evenrually aquitted for this crime. Many folks like my Aunt also a single mother felt Alice was tried based on her life style as single parenting in the sixties was still very frowned upon.
    Any opinions on this crime did she or didn't she do it?
    She did it alright. Check out the facts on the case. CRIMMINS claimed that an intruder broke in to the children's room from outside of the apartment, yet it turned out on top of the chest in the room directly in front of the window had dust on it. The list of facts showing her guilt went on & on.

the son, EDDIE

the daughter, MISSY

CRIMMINS during the 1st trial
    KELT' HOME FOR WAYWARD YOUTH-
    Helping Young Men To Turn Around For Over Twenty Years !

TheMysterian Guest
    Go to search,I posted this case about a year ago!

Lisamarie Guest
    what a bitch!!!! Susan Smith of her day huh! Something about that pic of her makes me wanna smack her ass.....

Long Gone Day Guest
    Oh..God.
    Poor..kids.
    What..the..hell..happened..here?

Interesting article here, which takes Alice's side, even to the point of blaming her admittedly rather obsessed ex-husband:

http://tarlton.law.utexas.edu/lpop/e...9-2/medea.html

A legal overview of her trials:

http://law.jrank.org/pages/3168/Alic...1968-1971.html

Alice managed to slip into a prosperous obscurity with the man who may have helped her kill her children. According to WikiAnswers, she was last known to be living in Long Island with her 2nd husband, and was seen boarding a boat named "Missy" (which was her dead daughter's name.)

NOVSTORM Guest
    I have read a lot on this case, she no jmore killed those kids than I did. I wouldnt doubt if her Ex was involved in this but the minute those cops met her they went after her because they thought she was a tramp. She had no reason to kill her children none. She wasnt afraid of her ex getting the kids either..this was such a set up it was unreal.

I've always been fascinated by this case since the early 80's, one of my early death hag experiences. Forensic's being what they were back then, pretty much non-existent, it would be impossible for me to form an opinion of guilt or innocence. I wonder if Alice is still alive today? She would be well into her late 70's by now...
    By my troth, I care not; a man can die but once; we owe God a death.... He that dies this year is quit for the next.
    --William Shakespeare!

tarsier Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Dangitbawb View Post
    I've always been fascinated by this case since the early 80's, one of my early death hag experiences. Forensic's being what they were back then, pretty much non-existent, it would be impossible for me to form an opinion of guilt or innocence. I wonder if Alice is still alive today? She would be well into her late 70's by now...
    This case along with The Boston Strangler, Sam Sheperd and Sal Mineo are the basis of my death haggery; my favorite aunt who would deny it was always filling my oldest sister in on the latest gory crime while my cousin and I ease dropped. I've akways wondered what became of Alice and tend to personally believe her innocence since so much of the "evidence" against her was false or blatantly manufactured. I vaguely recall her appearing on some datime talk show 1968-1970 and even as a little kid I felt bad for what she's been put through on top of losing her kids.

Darrianne Guest
    Crime Library spells her last name Crimmins. That's where I first heard of her, too. This story always made me so sad for those kids....and in all the reading I have done about this case, I am wishy washy about her guilt.....guess I can't make up my mind. Has anyone read Ken Gross' book about this case? I found it on Amazon but haven't ordered it yet.

Darrianne Guest
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4318520.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	99.1 KB 
ID:	46133Click image for larger version. 

Name:	alice-and-edmund-crimmins.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	143.5 KB 
ID:	46134Click image for larger version. 

Name:	alice-crimmins-1.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	134.8 KB 
ID:	46135

For someone so distraught about her missing children and her trial, she always had splashy clothes (and "way out front in her Maidenform" as the ad used to say), amazing helmet hair (wig-enhanced?), and full slap on (with no mascara tracks from, you know, TEARS, real or... FORCED.)
    And whoa, neat stage faint there.

If Alice Crimmins wanted people to see her as a true innocent, maybe she SHOULD HAVE toned it down a WEE bit. Maybe seeing her alleged "acne scars" and unsprayed, unteased hair might have made them feel sorrier for a damaged woman wanting to enjoy life after divorce from an allegedly difficult, stalker-ish husband.

This is an article from last year. Even though the writer claimed to believe her not guilty, Alice sure acted like our girl Casey Anthony and even darling Darlie Routier in the days after the kids were actually found dead, and that was back over 45 years ago, when such goings-on were even LESS admired, and folks LESS likely to say, "everyone grieves in their own way."

http://www.criminalelement.com/blogs...st-plain-awful

Hope she's enjoying her allegedly well-to-do, child (and grandchild)-free old age. Though she has also long been without her second spouse, the notorious Anthony Grace (it seems all NY and NJ contractors are at least vaguely criminal and notorious for one reason or other.) According to Answers.com, he died in 1998. The couple lived for years in Boca Raton, FL, but after Grace's death, aging Alice was allegedly spotted back in Queens and Long Island.
    http://www.qchron.com/qboro/i_have_o...b63eccb2e.html

Alice's ex, Edmund Crimmins, who ultimately supported her innocence in the children's murders, despite his suspicions about everything else she did, apparently died March 24, 2012 just 11 days after turning 76, taking whatever he really knew about the crimes with him to the grave.

http://www.obitsforlife.com/obituary...ins-Edmund.php
    http://www.fold3.com/s.php#s_given_n...=crimmins&t=-1

Look, if one truly believes Alice Crimmins innocent of having anything to do with the terrible deaths of her children, despite her colorful social life and sketchy boyfriends, that's fair. At this stage of the game, one can argue the case from all sides, and will NEVER get a final answer in any case. But for the love of decency, do NOT reference her as some kind of pioneer for women's sexual liberation, like THIS chap seems to.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/paul-l..._b_898417.html

Everyone who writes about the case forgets that ANY parent's primary responsibility is to their CHILDREN, not to their libidos!!!

The children's graves:
    http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...r&GRid=9630468
    http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...&GRid=6963541&

According to Findagrave, their father Edmund was also buried in the same cemetery. Interestingly, he apparently went to live, and died, in Florida, while Alice apparently left Florida to come back to the NY area. Wondering if they ever had contact after her remarriage and whatever happened to him, if he remarried / had other children, etc.
    Last edited by Linnie; 04-06-2013 at 11:11 AM.

Tuesday Weld did a TV movie loosely based on this case, A Question Of Guilt, I would love to see it again. My father used to get the New York Picture News, and I remember her from those papers.
    Today you could be standing next to someone who is trying their best not to fall apart. So whatever you do today, do it with kindness.

I read Mary Higgins Clark Where are the Children? I didn't realize it was based on this, will have to read the link you posted about this. I just ordered the book for Kindle, The Alice Crimmins Case. The book form is expensive.

I just watched a show about this case on Discovery. I've only seen their take on it, but it seems she was convicted of being a woman with a sex life. She didn't show her grief correctly. I'm going to read more about this case, but I thought I would do a search here first.

Who is to say how one should grieve? Everyone does grieve differently. I need to remember this everytime I want to make a snap judgement about some of the cases that pass through here.

This case fascinates me too.
    I'm pretty sure we've got a thread about it here somewhere.... seems like the name was misspelled?

Anyway, it was the cops' rush to judgement of her based on her looks that pissed me off.
    But you know, I think she did it. I've read that story so many times for some reason and I just come away thinking she did it every time.
    Not the popular opinion but mine. Fascinating though.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul! (Invictus)
    (And Timothy McVeigh's last words...)

Maybe these should be merged. Some pix and links on this older AC thread (some supplied by me):
    http://www.findadeath.com/forum/show...alice+crimmins

For a minute there, I thought the old girl finally fell over (on her too-high heels, weighed down by her too-protuberant bust and her too-heavy wig.) Oh well, there's always tomorrow.

I'm watching a show on this on Discovery right now. I am going to read that crime library thread afterward and I'll post more about it then.

StewartGilliganGriffin Guest
    Yeah I love that show. It's called A Crime To Remember. The new season starts next week I believe. ID has been promoting the hell out of it. As far as Crimmins goes I think she cared more about cock than she did her kids. I don't know if she did it but she sucked.

Quote Originally Posted by StewartGilliganGriffin View Post
    but she sucked.
    Pun intended?

I dont know know what to think in this case, but as far as reasonable doubt, this case has it. I wouldn't have convicted her. I had a traumatic experience & I know all about medicating with sex. It wasn't about getting off, but rather sex being life affirming. I have no doubt alice had her faults, but I can't condemn her for what society sees as inappropriate reactions. And I certainly wouldn't convict her on that basis either.

a good article on the case - not as cut and dry as Casey Anthony. The motive is hard to determine.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...-her-kids.html

luckyinlove Guest
    I don't think she did it

I don't think she did it. Frankly, it makes more sense to me that she'd try to drown herself in nightclubs, men, etc... Some people hit the bottle, others go for sex. Personally, I go for sex. It's not that I don't feel pain... Sex is life affirming. In a tragedy, it's a way of reassuring yourself you are still alive somehow. People don't talk about it now & they sure as he'll wouldn't have said it then.

My other question is, how is one 'supposed' to act? Although I believe Darlie & Casey are guilty as shit, it's based around more than their actions. As someone who has odd responses to news of tragedy or news that is just poor (TBI after an accident; this is a remaining issue) I know more than most how it feels to act inappropriately & have people think the worst. Don't be so quick to judge.

I was just skimming some of the comments above and a couple things caught my attention. I saw someone mention there was no motive. There sure was a motive. The same motive Susan Smith had when she pushed her babies into the water. There have been several examples of women killing their children because the children were "holding them back". She is the exact type that that motive is plausible.

Saw something about the ex husband being controlling and obsessed. That's bs. She cheated on him with God knows how many men, tried to get laid in his and his children's presence. I would say he was justifiably upset with her and didn't want her whoring herself in front of her children.

[QUOTE=Linnie;1366657]For someone so distraught about her missing children and her trial, she always had splashy clothes (and "way out front in her Maidenform" as the ad used to say), amazing helmet hair (wig-enhanced?), and full slap on (with no mascara tracks from, you know, TEARS, real or... FORCED.)
    And whoa, neat stage faint there.

If Alice Crimmins wanted people to see her as a true innocent, maybe she SHOULD HAVE toned it down a WEE bit. Maybe seeing her alleged "acne scars" and unsprayed, unteased hair might have made them feel sorrier for a damaged woman wanting to enjoy life after divorce from an allegedly difficult, stalker-ish husband.

This is an article from last year. Even though the writer claimed to believe her not guilty, Alice sure acted like our girl Casey Anthony and even darling Darlie Routier in the days after the kids were actually found dead, and that was back over 45 years ago, when such goings-on were even LESS admired, and folks LESS likely to say, "everyone grieves in their own way."

http://www.criminalelement.com/blogs...st-plain-awful

Hope she's enjoying her allegedly well-to-do, child (and grandchild)-free old age. Though she has also long been without her second spouse, the notorious Anthony Grace (it seems all NY and NJ contractors are at least vaguely criminal and notorious for one reason or other.) According to Answers.com, he died in 1998. The couple lived for years in Boca Raton, FL, but after Grace's death, aging Alice was allegedly spotted back in Queens and Long Island.
    http://www.qchron.com/qboro/i_have_o...b63eccb2e.html

Alice's ex, Edmund Crimmins, who ultimately supported her innocence in the children's murders, despite his suspicions about everything else she did, apparently died March 24, 2012 just 11 days after turning 76, taking whatever he really knew about the crimes with him to the grave.

http://www.obitsforlife.com/obituary...ins-Edmund.php
    http://www.fold3.com/s.php#s_given_n...=crimmins&t=-1

Look, if one truly believes Alice Crimmins innocent of having anything to do with the terrible deaths of her children, despite her colorful social life and sketchy boyfriends, that's fair. At this stage of the game, one can argue the case from all sides, and will NEVER get a final answer in any case. But for the love of decency, do NOT reference her as some kind of pioneer for women's sexual liberation, like THIS chap seems to.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/paul-l..._b_898417.html

Everyone who writes about the case forgets that ANY parent's primary responsibility is to their CHILDREN, not to their libidos!!!

The children's graves:
    http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...r&GRid=9630468
    http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...&GRid=6963541&

According to Findagrave, their father Edmund was also buried in the same cemetery. Interestingly, he apparently went to live, and died, in Florida, while Alice apparently left Florida to come back to the NY area. Wondering if they ever had contact after her remarriage and whatever happened to him, if he remarried / had other children, etc.[/QUOTE]

Linnie, that was as close to a perfect post as I've ever seen. You did your homework (Hell, you did yours and that of at least a few more folks', as well!) That alone -- a well cited post with public opinion, personal opinion, and the references to back up the former.... my kind of reading! And I thank you for the time you put into it.

Some cases just grab me and won't let me go. This is one of them. If I had to state a reason, it would seem, to many, a trivial one. It was said by those who knew the family that the little boy would call his sister "My Missy" and was very protective of her. I've seen that even at that tender age (my brother was like that with me) and it's touching. It.... it proves that we are born good, with nurturing hearts and minds. The evil parts.... they seem to come later.

So here are these best-of-buddies, also brother and sister, who undoubtedly experienced some confusion as to why all the king's horses coudn't put Mommy and Daddy together again. But those two, nothing could separate them. Nothing, that is, except death.

I'd be lying if I said I knew definitively who did this. Unlike my opinion on most cases, it's not a question I'm yearning to find the answer to. But I do believe that one of the parents of these beautiful children decided to play God and take them out before they even got a chance to experience the parts of life that make it matter. And that is, to me, by far the saddest aspect of this case.

I am, much to my own chagrin, very on the fence as to what happens to us when we die. But this story solidifies my hope that wherever we go, we aren't alone but surrounded by comforts.... whether they be quite real, spiritual or just a vague presence. When I think of the Crimmins' children, it is my sincere hope that's true: that wherever they are, they are together and that cheeky young Edward once again takes "his Missy" by the hand to reassure her that despite what happened, he was always there, he's there now, and he always will be.

May they rest in the peace only children can know, and may one never be separated from the other again. That tiny boy knew more about protecting his own than the adults that took their lives, and that makes me wonder what kind of an adult he would've been. A fine one, no doubt. Unfortunately, the world will never know because of jealousy, hatred, or simply indifference for human life. Rest easy, angels, and as much a non-believer as I am, I truly believe that their spirits are together, hands locked together now and always.
    Last edited by TaupinJohn; 04-20-2015 at 03:42 PM. Reason: apostrophe that would've bothered me forever
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul! (Invictus)
    (And Timothy McVeigh's last words...)

Quote Originally Posted by TaupinJohn View Post
    But for the love of decency, do NOT reference her as some kind of pioneer for women's sexual liberation, like THIS chap seems to.
    AMEN!! Guilty or innocent this woman does not deserve to be seen as some kind of pioneer. Kind of like calling the compulsive liar Linda Lovelace a pioneer of women's lib. What a crock of shit. Annoys me. Apparently the more you spread your legs and flaunt it unashamedly the bigger hero you are.

I would love to see this again.
    Today you could be standing next to someone who is trying their best not to fall apart. So whatever you do today, do it with kindness.

Quote Originally Posted by VeuveClicquotNJ View Post
    Great article, I read it after I had seen her story on A Crime to Remember, episode title Go Ask Alice ... I would love too !

Quote Originally Posted by Mansfield67 View Post
    Great article, I read it after I had seen her story on A Crime to Remember, episode title Go Ask Alice ... I would love too !
    I knew I had seen a show about the case a few years back but couldn't remember the name of it until you posted. It's a good watch but they stopped showing it over here and it's hard to get online.

shellc, I will post this link hope it works ! http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3ht29y