Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Martin Luther King

Martin Luther King

Today is his day Im surprised he doesnt have a thread.
    http://nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/p.../king-bio.html
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

Deathwish Guest
    I agree wholeheartedly. MLK was a beautiful soul & I thought of him & his "dream speech" a lot the day Obama won....Much respect. RIP MLK

Here's a link to some info about the motel where he was murdered.
    http://www.cloudsoup.com/weblog/2008...orraine-motel/

A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

Long Gone Day Guest
    Still...cry...when...I..hear...that...speech.....Remember..being...quarantined
    in...a..hotel...in..Orange..N.J....when...the..riots..broke..out.....

Hw strange to hear this speech and tomorrow Obama is inaugurated.

Great thread, Ich! I had never seen the speech from the start like that. What an orator! I hope that wherever he is, he is able to witness the festivities tomorrow!

Last edited by Nessa; 01-19-2009 at 04:59 AM.
    The most dangerous woman of all is the one who refuses to rely on your sword to save her because she carries her own.

- R.H. Sin

Snoopy Guest
    His words have more meaning now than ever..and I'm sure he'll be smiling down and so proud tomorrow as Obama takes the oath of office.

His last speech - "I've seen the promised land"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1L8y...eature=related
    The most dangerous woman of all is the one who refuses to rely on your sword to save her because she carries her own.

- R.H. Sin

Somewhere twixt San Antonio & Corpus Christi
    Thank you for the links Ich, Nessa.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

American Progress

burgtwngrl Guest
    MLK would be so proud of Obama

roarface Guest
    I've always been intrigued with MLK Jr. but I never read into it. Thanks for the links.

Jazbabee Guest
    Great info.....thanks for posting these links !

guardmom2008 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ichabodius View Post
    Hw strange to hear this speech and tomorrow Obama is inaugurated.
    I agree Ich, he had a dream and tomorrow we have hope.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Nessa View Post
    His last speech - "I've seen the promised land"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1L8y...eature=related
    That one always makes me cry. He knew what was ahead of him and that he probably wouldn't live much longer. Incredibly sad.

On CNN today, they interviewed many of his friends from those days. One said MLK was very depressed (who wouldn't be?) during those days but kept on going. How difficult it must have been to know you were probably going to be killed soon, not knowing how, when or where.

Great, great man.

lisalouver Guest
    Life magazine has just published 13 never before seen pictures from the night of the murder. Included are pics of the blood being cleaned up.

Thought you all would like to see it, I linked to the comcast link so you can read more on the photog and then the link to LIFE is in that.

http://www.comcast.net/articles/news...03/MLK.Photos/

MmmRavioli Guest
    He was the greatest. Learned about him in the 2nd grade.. while living in a small town with no black people (at the time, things have changed there now). It was one of the greatest lessons I ever had in school. He's definitely one of my heroes.

monroe62 Guest
    Here are a couple of shot of the Lorraine that I took in October 04. I'm pretty sure the car was there just for show, not connected to King in anyway.

Last edited by monroe62; 04-03-2009 at 04:29 AM.

carebearsluv Guest
    I was just about to come post the Time magazine pics!

lisalouver Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by carebearsluv View Post
    I was just about to come post the Time magazine pics!
    Pieces of history, those pics.

Dane Guest
    monroe: those are very nicely shot photos ... between the history and the old (very well kept) signage, I'd love to take some photos of it myself.

MoonRabbit Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Nessa View Post
    Great thread, Ich! I had never seen the speech from the start like that. What an orator! I hope that wherever he is, he is able to witness the festivities tomorrow!

I actually have a friend that was in the audience that day.
    What is funny is that she was only there to see Peter, Paul, and Mary!

Dane Guest
    Those Time photos are amazing. For an everyday person to hear the news and grab their camera and come running, those photos are not only technically well done, but emotionally powerful too. The best, I think, is the last, with Campbell standing there alone. Wow.

I noticed that King's autopsy report was not included on his write-up on FAD. Here it is:

http://www.maryferrell.org/mffweb/archive/viewer/showDoc.do?docId=95664&relPageId=41

Cause of death: gunshot wound to the spinal column.

Forever-27 Guest
    I sometimes have wondered , had he lived would he be upset at how todays african american young people are or would he be content with how things have gone up to now

deathhagcutie Guest
    MY father in law was friends w/king even spent the night at kings house a few times

Quote Originally Posted by Forever-27 View Post
    I sometimes have wondered , had he lived would he be upset at how todays african american young people are or would he be content with how things have gone up to now
    Unlike Malcolm X, King was all about peace, and I think he would be upset, and I would think he would be proud of the changes, but not content. We have progressed, but we aren't there yet, and never will be.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

imadeathhag Guest
    A few years ago I stayed at a motel called the "Monson Motor Lodge" in St. Augustine, FL (my fave city to visit). I found out later on that MLK and the people who were traveling with him all jumped into the swimming pool allowed only for whites. The place is no longer there, (it was demolished and a Hilton Garden Inn was built ARG damn eyesore if you ask me.) If I would have known prior about the pool story I would've taken pics of the it.

Found this info on the incident:

Martin Luther King was eventually arrested at the Monson Motor Lodge – the site now occupied by the Hilton Garden Inn. An even more famous incident occurred at the Monson when the manager was photographed pouring what was allegedly acid on to white and black civil rights protesters who had entered the motel’s “Whites Only” swimming pool. That photo appeared in newspapers around the world and is often credited for having helped convince undecided members of Congress to vote in favor of the Civil Rights Act that was passed on July 4, 1964.

RIP Dr. King
    Last edited by imadeathhag; 01-15-2010 at 10:46 PM.

imadeathhag Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by deathhagcutie View Post
    MY father in law was friends w/king even spent the night at kings house a few times
    Cool!

STsFirstmate Guest
    He was very young to accomplished what he did in the short time he was with us. He was in his early 40s.
    He was definately a different man than Malcom X. He was not a "by any means necessary" sort of man. He, like Ghandi, knew right will eventually beat might even if it takes a long time.
    I have been trying to think about a good way to honor him this year so I guess I will get my lazy ass out this weekend and help collect relief supplies for Haiti.
    I think that he would be saddened today by black on black violence and I am sure that his death opened the door for the "urban pacification" program of the CIA and FBI that sowed the seeds we are reaping today.
    I would like to think that had he lived he would have tried to shine a light on what was happening and rallied black america to stop it.
    There is an exanding Black middle class and issues now are almost as much issues of class more than race and in a preverse way I guess that is a form of progress. Just my opinion.
    Regards,
    Mary

Alexandra Guest
    Not to rain on everyone's parade here, but he was hardly a role model.

He denied the fundamentals of the Christian faith.

He plagiarized to obtain his degree.

He cheated on his wife right and left and abused women.

He was also a communist--a Marxist. Just like Obama. (No, I didn't vote for McCain, either, just so you know.)

Only good thing about MLK Day is my husband has a paid holiday!

Forever-27 Guest
    Well so far as the holiday, since I dont have a job thereby I dont get the holiday pay, its just another day that theres no mail, so my unemployment check gets held up

I dont want to start anything here, Where did you get all that about MLK Alexandra. Ive never heard any of these things about him.

pattykad Guest
    BelleRain....if you follow Alexandra's link on her profile here, you
    can read her blogs. I'm just saying....

I know I was quite mesmerized by his "I have a dream" speech as youngin, not knowing much about him yet, I remembered how fascinated by this man on tv I was. As I grew older, to understand, that speech spoke volumes and I truly am inspired by his words. Regardless of the opinions made of him good and bad, he is a hero in my eyes.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    When life hands you tequila, make a margarita.

King's brother, The Rev. A.D. King, also met with a tragic end: Just a year later, he was found dead in his swimming pool. His autopsy report, according to the New York Times, showed a blood alcohol level of 0.27.

I think I also read that according to MLK jr, A.D. was the best orator in the family.

STsFirstmate Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BelleRain View Post
    I dont want to start anything here, Where did you get all that about MLK Alexandra. Ive never heard any of these things about him.
    Belle I think you need to take the statements with a grain of salt. He was an extraordinary man in my opinion and one of the few people I consider one of my heros. He was also human.
    I have no idea which if any of these charges are true but they don't diminish the good he did anymore than having illegitimate children and holding slaves diminished Jefferson or James McPherson the noted military historian who was accused of plagerism because a researcher failed to properly footnote a reference.
    Even if some or all of these charges were true it does not diminish the rightness of his actions and views, his vision and courage of his convictions. He changed the world for the better. dramatically in my lifetime.
    He will do just fine as a role model for me thanks!
    Regards,
    Mary

I agree with everyone here, I feel MLK was a wonderful peaceful man trying to change the world, and the world needed alot of changing. I had just NEVER heard any of those rumors, or gossip about him. We hear gossip about everyone, JFK sleeping with Marilyn Monroe, and many others.. just an example. I dont think any of those rumors make him unworthy of anything.. Everyone has their faults. No one is totally perfect. But he believed in what he said, and he did make a huge difference.

imadeathhag Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BelleRain View Post
    I agree with everyone here, I feel MLK was a wonderful peaceful man trying to change the world, and the world needed alot of changing. I had just NEVER heard any of those rumors, or gossip about him. We hear gossip about everyone, JFK sleeping with Marilyn Monroe, and many others.. just an example. I dont think any of those rumors make him unworthy of anything.. Everyone has their faults. No one is totally perfect. But he believed in what he said, and he did make a huge difference.

Agreed

Pattykad I followed your advice. I think I understand now. tyvm

Alexandra Guest
    What I'm saying is the man was a fraud. Certainly not worthy of being a role model.

http://www.worldaffairsbrief.com/keytopics/MLK.shtml

http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/Wolve...jr-exposed.htm

Just another viewpoint I'm presenting here. Things are not always what they seem.

endsleigh03 Guest
    I believe Jim Morrison lives.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexandra View Post
    What I'm saying is the man was a fraud. Certainly not worthy of being a role model.

http://www.worldaffairsbrief.com/keytopics/MLK.shtml

http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/Wolve...jr-exposed.htm

Just another viewpoint I'm presenting here. Things are not always what they seem.
    The second link looks like it came from the National Enquirer. With a professional looking website like that who could possibly doubt its validity? . It looks to me like somebody needs to invest in a Photoshop course.

That being said I do think he does have a mixed legacy and we will have a better idea about him once the FBI tapes are unsealed in a few years from now.

The womanizing on his part is pretty well known so I do take issue with people that lean on him as some sort of Holy Warrior... but at the end of the day his accomplishments far outweigh his indiscretions.

endsleigh03 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Inked_Daddy View Post
    The second link looks like it came from the National Enquirer. With a professional looking website like that who could possibly doubt its validity? . It looks to me like somebody needs to invest in a Photoshop course.

That being said I do think he does have a mixed legacy and we will have a better idea about him once the FBI tapes are unsealed in a few years from now.

The womanizing on his part is pretty well known so I do take issue with people that lean on him as some sort of Holy Warrior... but at the end of the day his accomplishments far outweigh his indiscretions.
    I think his accomplishments do as well.
    We've seen worse, much worse.
    Last edited by endsleigh03; 01-17-2010 at 05:40 AM.

mstee2u1972 Guest
    Hmm. Always a hater in the bunch. Never fails.

Endsleigh... Exactly. We've seen so much worse.

From the World Affairs Brief:

"Martin Luther King was another public figure that was assassinated for the martyr effect. As the evidence below shows, the evidence of King's corruption, womanizing and Communist sympathies, we was becoming more a liability to the Civil Rights agenda than an asset. It was only a matter of time before King's reputation would self-destruct. By engineering his death and blaming it on a supposed racist, the Powers That Be could turn MLK into a hero. With the assistance of controlled judges, they could have his records sealed and make sure the public would not have access to the real Martin Luther King."

Bullshit.

Last edited by cindyt; 01-17-2010 at 12:58 PM.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Folks, every member is entitled to their own opinion. May I remind you, MLK and every public figure--celeb, politician, etc--are fair game on this board. But members are not. Rule 4.
    Last edited by cindyt; 01-17-2010 at 02:35 PM.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

simon69 Guest
    God Bless this man and what he did for civil rights?! A true man of God by any sense of the word, still there are those who try to be smudge his great name and works? The right wing nutters who claim this man was not a great man are jealous of his accolades, remember how God spoke of false prophets? To find them all you must do is just turn on the tube or find them in cyberspace. It's great that President Reagen signed his birthday into law as a holiday! Monday go do some good deeds and love one another to honor MLK day!!! Peace, love and Rock n Roll peeps!!!!

Happy Birthday, Mr. King!

This is not a religious-based country, like those in the mideast, and you had better thank your lucky stars it isn't. To wit: some mean cheat on their wives--not right, but there you go--men, and women, obscure and known. It's their and their spouses business. I don't give a rat's ass what public figures do in their private life, as long as it isn't breaking the law. JFK, MLK, Clinton, George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, etc supposedly couldn't keep it in their pants. Big deal. It's what they did for our country and mankind that counts to me.

MLK felt a calling to the ministry and civil rights progression, and he did it right.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD