Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: Recipes (Share & Request)

Ron Burgundy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by SarahThirteen View Post
    I know that he will eat onions if they ae diced really small like on a cheese burger at mcdonalds so I know a little onion flavor doesnt hurt him thats why I had asked if doing 1 onion cut rather big would be ok... just for a little flavor....
    Sarah,

Once those VERY thinly sliced onions bake and liquify, they'll hold a property of a solid.

You might want to try it...he might go for it. Especially if he doesn't have a complete aversion to the almighty onion.

I actually use a razor blade to slice the onions....it takes awhile, but boy does it come out great!

SuckMyKiss Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by firegilnotguns View Post
    Hey, I honestly wouldn't make it with fresh pumpkin if the canned puree was an option here!
    I have never even tasted pumpkin...pumpkin puree though. WHAT THE HELL? lol

SarahThirteen Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by soundqcar View Post
    Sarah,

Once those VERY thinly sliced onions bake and liquify, they'll hold a property of a solid.

You might want to try it...he might go for it. Especially if he doesn't have a complete aversion to the almighty onion.

I actually use a razor blade to slice the onions....it takes awhile, but boy does it come out great!

my mom was tellin me to maybe cut the two onions in half and place them down in the pan then the flavor of the onion would be there then I could just take the onion out when its done.... (i worry alot when it comes to this stuff can ya tell haha)

SuckMyKiss Guest
    my mom was tellin me to maybe cut the two onions in half and place them down in the pan then the flavor of the onion would be there then I could just take the onion out when its done.... (i worry alot when it comes to this stuff can ya tell haha)

My mom does that for me when she makes Gravy, just slices it in half then removed it when it's done. I guess I'm kinda like your bf, I can't eat anything with big chunks of onion in, but if I don't know they are there, can't taste them strongly it doesn't matter. Anyway, the Gravy tastes no different cooking it that way so that will probably work I think. I'm no masterchef though. Lol

firegilnotguns Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by SuckMyKiss View Post
    I have never even tasted pumpkin...pumpkin puree though. WHAT THE HELL? lol
    It's what people put in pumpkin pie, which is obviously big enough in the US to require copious amounts of tinned pumpkin! Yeah, my husband won't touch it though - I've made pumpkin pies before and it's not just my baking- he usually likes things I bake! Anyway, that's why I decided to make the bread, on the off chance that he'd try that instead (so it won't be a baked good with a pumpkin puree type consistency! )

Anyway, pumpkin puree is made like this:

1. Cut off the top of the pumpkin and clean out all of the seeds and strings from the inside. (Use a "pie pumpkin" rather than a large jack o'lantern style one for this.)

2. Cut the pumpkin in half. Spray the cut sides with cooking spray. Place the pumpkin halves flesh side down on a cookie sheet lined with foil and sprayed with cooking spray.

3. Bake the pumpkin at 325 degrees F/160 degrees C/Gas Mark 3 for about an hour or until the flesh is tender when poked with a fork.

4. When the pumpkin is done use a spoon to scrape the pumpkin from the skin. Then beat with a mixer or in a blender until it is smooth.

SuckMyKiss Guest
    It's what people put in pumpkin pie, which is obviously big enough in the US to require copious amounts of tinned pumpkin! Yeah, my husband won't touch it though - I've made pumpkin pies before and it's not just my baking- he usually likes things I bake! Anyway, that's why I decided to make the bread, on the off chance that he'd try that instead (so it won't be a baked good with a pumpkin puree type consistency! )

Anyway, pumpkin puree is made like this:

1. Cut off the top of the pumpkin and clean out all of the seeds and strings from the inside. (Use a "pie pumpkin" rather than a large jack o'lantern style one for this.)

2. Cut the pumpkin in half. Spray the cut sides with cooking spray. Place the pumpkin halves flesh side down on a cookie sheet lined with foil and sprayed with cooking spray.

3. Bake the pumpkin at 325 degrees F/160 degrees C/Gas Mark 3 for about an hour or until the flesh is tender when poked with a fork.

4. When the pumpkin is done use a spoon to scrape the pumpkin from the skin. Then beat with a mixer or in a blender until it is smooth.

I'm so gonna try that, what does it taste like? Does it not have a distinctive taste? Are pumpkin pies sweet??

firegilnotguns Guest

I'm so gonna try that, what does it taste like? Does it not have a distinctive taste? Are pumpkin pies sweet??
    Well, I grew up eating pumpkin pies and such, so I don't know that I'd call it distinctive! Yes, pumpkin pies are sweet (gotta add the sugar and such, though!) but also have spices. Also, they don't have a top like most pies (now I'll have to find a pic...)

Man, now I really want some pumpkin pie! I've had some issues recreating the crust in the UK since there's no shortening...I gave up and used a graham cracker crust last year (um, like a crust made with digestives) and though it tasted good, it didn't taste "right." I should probably look into trying to make the crust with lard or something but my husband won't eat it anyway and I don't need to have a whole pie myself!

secretsquirrel13 Guest
    Well, I grew up eating pumpkin pies and such, so I don't know that I'd call it distinctive! Yes, pumpkin pies are sweet (gotta add the sugar and such, though!) but also have spices. Also, they don't have a top like most pies (now I'll have to find a pic...)

Man, now I really want some pumpkin pie! I've had some issues recreating the crust in the UK since there's no shortening...I gave up and used a graham cracker crust last year (um, like a crust made with digestives) and though it tasted good, it didn't taste "right." I should probably look into trying to make the crust with lard or something but my husband won't eat it anyway and I don't need to have a whole pie myself!

Try this oil based pie crust....freeze the oil for about an hour before....its not EXACTLY the same..but close....

• 2 3/4 cups sifted all-purpose flour
    • 1 teaspoon salt
    • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
    • 1/2 cup milk
    Mix flour and salt together. Pour milk and oil into one measuring cup, do not stir, and add all at once to flour. Stir until mixed, and shape into 2 flat balls. Wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 15 minutes. Roll out on lightly floured surface.

panda Guest
    I'm posting 2 because they're both quick & easy & all my friends with kids say they love them. I know those are things we all look for with busy schedules!

MEAT LOAF SUPREME
    1 lb Ground Beef
    1 lb Ground Pork
    1 cp Crushed Saltine Crackers (about 20 crackers)
    1 cp Sour Cream
    1/4 cp Chopped Onion
    1 cp Shredded Cheddar
    1 tsp Salt
    Dash Pepper

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large bowl, thoroughly combine all ingredients. Press into 9"x5"x3" loaf pan (or mold into loaf & use a cake pan). Bake for 1-1/2 hours. Let stand 10 minutes in pan before slicing.
    Makes 8 servings

MEXICAN LASAGNA
    1 lb Ground Beef
    1 pkg Taco Seasoning Mix
    8 oz Container of Sour Cream
    1 cp Shredded Cheddar or Mexican Blend Cheese
    1 pkg Large Flour Tortillas

Brown ground beef, drain fat. In a 11" pie plate, start layers. Start with one layer of tortillas. Combine sour cream and taco seasoning mix for your second layer. Cheese is your third layer. Continue until all ingredients are used and end with a layer of tortillas sprinkled with cheese. Bake at 350 for 15 minutes or until cheese melts. Serve with any remaining sour cream/taco dip mixture, or just sour cream, salsa, or taco sauce.
    Last edited by panda; 11-10-2007 at 07:17 AM.

ghoulgurl Guest

Chili Recipe

3 Tablespoons vegetable oil

1 and 1/4 pounds of lean ground beef chuck

1 Tablespoon chili powder

1 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled

2 large bay leaves

2 cups fresh or frozen chopped onions ( 2 medium-large yellow onions)

Half of a 1 pound bag frozen bell pepper stir-fry mix (red, green, and yellow peppers; do not thaw)

2 large garlic cloves, minced

One 10 oz. can diced tomatoes with green chilies, drained

One pound jar of chunky salsa (as mild or hot as you like)

One 26 oz. jar arrabbiata (spicy red pepper) pasta sauce

One 12 ounce can/bottle of beer

1 oz. unsweetened chocolate

One 28 oz. can spicy baked or barbecue beans, drained

Salt

1. Heat vegetable oil in medium size Dutch oven over high heat 1 minute. Add beef, chili powder, oregano, and bay leaves and brown meat, breaking up clumps. 5 minutes.

2. Add onions, stir-fry mix, and garlic and saute, stirring often, until onions are golden, about 5 minutes.

3. Reduce heat to moderate, add all remaining ingredients except beans and salt, and boil uncovered--gently stirring now and then to prevent sticking, until flavors meld and mixture is a good chili consistency--about 30 minutes. Remove bay leaves.

4. Add beans and salt to taste, then heat 2 to 3 minutes longer. Dish up and serve with soda crackers or bread. Garnish with shredded cheese, scallions, and sour cream if desired.

panda Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Gardner32 View Post
    The best cookies ever!!! I get asked to make these all the time

Chocolate No Bake Cookies

3 C sugar
    3TBSP Cocoa
    2 pinches salt
    1/2 tsp vanilla
    3/4 C milk
    1-1/2 cubes butter or matgarine
    3/4 C peanut butter
    4 C quick oats ( not cooked)

Melt butter, stir in cocoa, sugar salt and milk. Bring to a full rolling boil (stirring constantly) boil for EXACTLY 1 minute (use timer). Remove from heat, stir in peanut butter. Mix well. Gradually add oats, stirring well. Spoon onto wax paper, 1 TBSP each. Let cool

Makes about 3 dozen

Yummy yummy! enjoy!
    I haven't had these in years & have been looking for the recipe for years. It's one of the few cookies hubby can have, he's allergic to eggs. Thank you!

NO BOIL LASANGA

1 lb. ground beef
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1 can tomato paste
    1 (10 oz.) can sliced mushrooms (with the liquid)
    1/3 c. Parmesan
    1 egg, slightly beaten
    2 tsp. vegetable oil Lasagna noodles (uncooked)
    1 med. onion, chopped
    1 can tomato sauce
    1/2 c. water
    1 tsp. oregano
    1 c. cottage cheese
    1 (10 oz.) frozen chopped spinach, thawed (optional)
    6 oz. pkg. sliced Mozzarella

Brown meat, garlic and onion in a large pot. Remove excess fat. Stir in tomato sauce, paste, 1/2 cup water, mushrooms with the liquid and oregano. Bring to a boil. Simmer for 5 minutes to blend flavors. Remove from heat. Combine cottage cheese, Parmesan, egg, oil and well drained spinach in a bowl. Spoon 1/3 of sauce into a 9x13 inch pan. Cover with lasagna noodles (all going the same way). Spread another 1/3 of sauce over top and cover with lasagna noodles again. (This time place noodles the opposite way you did the last time. This will help to hold the lasagna together better when you slice it.)
    Spread cheese mixture over and cover with more lasagna noodles (going the same way as the first time). Cover with remaining sauce and top with cheese slices. Cover with tin foil and bake at 375 for 45 minutes.

Littleroben Guest
    Hey, I honestly wouldn't make it with fresh pumpkin if the canned puree was an option here!
    Hi not sure if this is the stuff you are after but Waitrose do 'Libby's Solid Pack Pumpkin' don't know if this is anything like what you need as I have never made anything with pumpkin, but thought I'd let you know anyway

Recipe for getting high using Bananas.

1. Peel 15 lbs. of bananas. Save the peels.

2. With a sharp knife, scrape off the insides of the peels and
    save the scraped material.

3. Put all of the scraped material in a large pot and add
    water. Boil for three to four hours until it has attained a
    solid paste consistency.

4. Leave in a warm place until dry

5. Add 5 grams of PCP and stir.

6. Smoke the mixture using the method of your choice.

Not sure how, but this is the only recipe I've ever found that works.

MbalmR Guest
    My grandmother used to make this for us as a special Christmas breakfast. It's a heart-condition meal, and I have never tried it using any of the low-fat ingredients available today, but it's really good served over toast or English muffins, and is easily doubled:

EGGS NEWPORT

6 hard boiled eggs, sliced
    1 can (10.5 oz.) Cream of Mushroom Soup
    Just a bit less than 1/2 C Mayonnaise
    1/2 C milk
    1 t chopped chives (I use green onions), optional
    Bacon crumbles, about 8 slices

Blend the soup and mayonnaise together. Gradually add 1/2 C milk. Add chives, if desired.

Slice 6 hard-boiled eggs and layer them in a 1-quart baking dish with the sauce. Sprinkle with the bacon crumbles and bake the whole mess in a 350 degree oven for about 20 minutes, or until heated through. Serve over toast or toasted English muffin halves.

panda Guest
    Do any of you know a good EASY Chicken Paprikash??? My boyfriend LOVES it and Id love to be able to make it for him all the time
    CHICKEN PAPRIKASH

1 pkg chicken (mixed parts or 4 breasts)
    1 stick butter
    1 medium onion chopped
    2 cans cream of chicken soup
    1 can pet milk
    16 oz sour cream
    Paprika

Melt butter in deep frying pan. Cook onion in butter until they turn clear. Lay chicken on top of onions, sprinkle with paprika, add a cup of water, cover & cook on medium hear until chicken is done, about 45 minutes. Remove chicken & set aside to cool. Transfer butter/onion mixture to a kettle and add remaining ingredients. Cook on low until blended. Remove skin & bones from chicken, discard. Cut chicken up in bite size pieces & add to soup mixture. You do not have to debone & deskin the chicken, you can serve as whole pieces also. Serve with dumplings (recipe below), or over noodles or rice.

DUMPLINGS

1/8 teaspoon salt
    5 eggs
    1 cup water
    Add flour to batter until it sticks together when dropped in boiling salt water. Drop by teaspoon into boiling salt water & cook 10-15 minutes uncovered.

You can also make dumplings from canned biscuits. Quarter each biscuit & drop in boiling salt water or chicken broth. Boil until done.

The onions used are really cooked to nothing at this point, but I see no reason you can't slice in big pieces to remove later or use onion powder to taste.

This tastes even better the next day!!!!!
    Last edited by panda; 11-13-2007 at 10:33 AM.

Kellycatt1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Aries65 View Post
    How about a good recipe for Green Pea Salad? I told my co-workers I bring some in for our T-Day Feast on the 20th. I live in Texas - so make sure it's the Southern style of this dish! Thanks!
    Here you go, I hope this is the kind you wanted.

6 cups Shredded lettuce
    2 cups small early june peas
    1 med. red onion
    3 hard boiled eggs chopped
    6 pieces fried crumbled bacon
    2 med. Tomatoes
    1 cup mayonnaise
    salt and pepper to taste

Toss all ingredients together and enjoy.

If you are making this ahead of time, add tomatoes at the last minute, to avoid watery salad.

Gardner32 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by panda View Post
    I haven't had these in years & have been looking for the recipe for years. It's one of the few cookies hubby can have, he's allergic to eggs. Thank you!
    So glad I could help!

This is a recipe from my husband's Grandma Gladys that he and I like to call Fuck Yeah Biscuits. They're really easy to make too. My husband does not cook much and these come out great every time he makes them. That's how easy they are:

Fuck Yeah Biscuits

2 cups all-purpose flour
    3 3/4 tsp baking powder
    2 tsp sugar
    1/2 tsp cream of tartar
    1/2 tsp salt
    2 sticks of butter
    2/3 cup milk

Stir flour, baking powder, sugar, cream of tarter and salt in a large bowl. Using a rubber spatula, cut butter into flour mixture until you get what resembles large crumbs. Make a well in the center of the mixture and add milk. Stir only until dough just clings together (don't over mix or biscuits will be tough). Knead dough lightly on floured surface about 10-15 folds. (Until it's not sticky anymore and holds together is all you're looking for here.) Pat or roll the ball of dough into roughly 1/2 inch thickness. Using a drinking glass or cutter, cut out biscuits and place on ungreased cookie sheet and then into a 450 degree oven for 10-12 minutes-until they're golden brown on top.

These are best if served warm.

If you're a gravy fan but aren't sure how to make it from scratch, there are tons of recipes out there depending on what you're looking for. Here's my world's easiest real gravy recipe. This is for when you're making gravy to go along with biscuits and some sort of beef, pork or poultry item for dinner that just came out of the oven...

World's Easiest Real Gravy Recipe

Beef, chicken or pork drippings still in the original cooking pan
    Flour
    Salt to taste

Remove the beef, chicken or pork item you've just cooked from the cooking pan and set aside. The amount of drippings you have left in the pan will be the deciding factor in how much flour you'll need to add. Sprinkle one tablespoon of flour at a time into the drippings. After each tablespoon, mix flour into drippings with fork or wire whisk. Continue to follow these steps until the gravy reaches the desired thickness. It should be thick enough to coat the back of a spoon but not so thick that it's no longer transparent or you'll taste more flour than gravy. Add salt to taste a pinch at a time until it's seasoned the way you want it. That's it!

Now pour it on everything and enjoy!

Does anyone have a creamed corn recipe? I've found a bunch online, but I don't trust those...lol Everyone is requesting it for Thanksgiving and I'd love to try it. Thanks in advance
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] ~smoochies~

Are you looking for a basic recipe or variations with different seasonings to go with something special?

Nope, just a basic recipe. I ADORE the creamed corn at a local restaurant here name Rudy's. Their recipe is very secret but the copy cat recipes call for cream cheese. I have no idea if that would be any good. I want a good RICH basic recipe for it.

MbalmR Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumbilina View Post
    Does anyone have a creamed corn recipe? I've found a bunch online, but I don't trust those...lol Everyone is requesting it for Thanksgiving and I'd love to try it. Thanks in advance
    I don't know if you want to visit the Food Network channel website, but I just saw Alton Brown making creamed corn the other day, and his recipes usually get GREAT reviews. I love that site because you can read a lot of reviews from people who've actually tried the recipes, and sometimes they offer EXCELLENT "tweaking" tips that you don't have to learn the hard way by trying the original recipe yourself.

Nope, just a basic recipe. I ADORE the creamed corn at a local restaurant here name Rudy's. Their recipe is very secret but the copy cat recipes call for cream cheese. I have no idea if that would be any good. I want a good RICH basic recipe for it.
    I just checked out the Rudy's copycat recipe I think you're talking about. Is this it?:

Easy Creamed Corn
    2lbs. frozen whole kernel corn, thawed
    1 package (8 oz.) cream cheese
    1/2 stick butter (not margarine)
    1 Tb. sugar
    3/4 c. whipping cream
    salt, pepper to taste
    In a large, shallow pan melt butter, cheese and whipping cream over low to medium heat. Once melted, add sugar and whisk lightly, just enough to remove any lumps. Increase to medium heat and add corn. When heated through, season with salt and pepper to taste. (I used about 1/4 tsp each).
    If so, that looks like a pretty darned good recipe I'd say. The only thing I'd change is to cook it a bit longer once the corn's been added. Otherwise the consistency might not mesh well together. Just turn the heat down to medium low once the corn's been added if you do so the cream doesn't boil over. That's ofcourse a personal preference. Either way, that recipe is worth a try. And if it's not exactly how you want it the first time, mess with it a bit and I bet you can get it just the way you want it.

disco Guest
    Oooh thank you. Most people here still use Pounds and Ounces cos thats what they're used to. I just had no idea what the hell a ''cup'' of something was in weight. Thanks for the info though, I feel educated now. I'll let you know if I need anything else explained
    well hold on a minute. shortening in these parts refers to animal fat, pretty much from the pig. old folks in oldin times used it and called it lard. Lard was cheap as all get out. its unhealthy but great for frying chicken and pork chops. also good for making biscuits and such. I can get away eating it in biscuits but thats about it. there is vegetable shortening, it just contains alot of transfat and 100% fatty oil. some call it crisco but less endowed folks bought lard. actually, i havent seen lard in the stores for awhile.

disco Guest
    1 can creamed corn
    1 can regular corn
    2 table spoons of butter
    1 table spoon brown sugar or less
    2 eggs beaten
    cinamon to taste 1/4 teaspoon
    1 teaspoon of honey (optional)
    add some cream cheese if you want

mix it up, bake at preheated 350 for 25 - 30 minutes, hopefully a little browning on top. let sit 5 minutes and serve

MbalmR Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by disco View Post
    well hold on a minute. shortening in these parts refers to animal fat, pretty much from the pig. old folks in oldin times used it and called it lard. Lard was cheap as all get out. its unhealthy but great for frying chicken and pork chops. also good for making biscuits and such. I can get away eating it in biscuits but thats about it. there is vegetable shortening, it just contains alot of transfat and 100% fatty oil. some call it crisco but less endowed folks bought lard. actually, i havent seen lard in the stores for awhile.
    Shortening here (in Wisconsin) refers to any kind of "fat" or solid cooking oils made from plants, I think. Lard is absolutely animal fat, though. I can still find it in the meat case, but they hide it behind some "heart health" warnings or some bullshit. It comes in a box about the size and shape of the same box that a pound of butter comes in.

panda Guest
    My MIL was from Kentucky & man could she cook. She was also an expert at shortcuts that tasted great! For creamed corn, she would take a can of regular corn, drain it & add it to a can of creamed corn, add a little butter, salt & pepper to taste. It's delicious and I'm not a fan of canned vegetables.

Snoopy Guest
    Thanks Panda for the No Bake cookie recipe! My sister and I used to make them when we were kids..loved them! Ima makin me some! and fuck yeah I'm making those fuck yeah biscuits too! LOL

panda Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Snoopy View Post
    Thanks Panda for the No Bake cookie recipe! My sister and I used to make them when we were kids..loved them! Ima makin me some! and fuck yeah I'm making those fuck yeah biscuits too! LOL
    I wish I could take credit for the no bake cookies. You must have read the post I sent to GARDNER32 thanking HER for the recipe. They are great aren't they!

Gardner32 Guest
    Panda,

Did I miss the runza recipe? I am waiting with watering mouth!!!

Snoopy Guest
    I wish I could take credit for the no bake cookies. You must have read the post I sent to GARDNER32 thanking HER for the recipe. They are great aren't they!
    Thanks Gardner! and yes they are Panda!

Gardner32 Guest
    You are welcome! Aren't they the best? If you Loooove chocolate, try my chocolate sheet cake. Always a hit, I end up making them for everyone once they have tasted it. Get a glass of milk ready!

panda Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Gardner32 View Post
    Panda,

Did I miss the runza recipe? I am waiting with watering mouth!!!
    No hun, you didn't miss it LOL, I'll post it this weekend, I promise!

This is a recipe for creamed corn that I'm forced to make every year.
    I use two cans of corn from trader joes, if you don't have a trader joes any canned corn will work. I put one of the cans in the cuisinart and leave the other whole.
    Sauce:
    4TBLS butter
    4TBLS flour
    2pt.whipping cream
    1cup milk
    1tsp salt
    5 TBLS sugar
    pinch of pepper
    Melt butter and add flour using a wisk. Add the rest of the ingredients and cook until thickened. Add corn. You can serve it like this or I make it the night before, put it in a casserole dish and bake. It's yummy!

disco Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MbalmR View Post
    My grandmother used to make this for us as a special Christmas breakfast. It's a heart-condition meal, and I have never tried it using any of the low-fat ingredients available today, but it's really good served over toast or English muffins, and is easily doubled:

EGGS NEWPORT

6 hard boiled eggs, sliced
    1 can (10.5 oz.) Cream of Mushroom Soup
    Just a bit less than 1/2 C Mayonnaise
    1/2 C milk
    1 t chopped chives (I use green onions), optional
    Bacon crumbles, about 8 slices

Blend the soup and mayonnaise together. Gradually add 1/2 C milk. Add chives, if desired.

Slice 6 hard-boiled eggs and layer them in a 1-quart baking dish with the sauce. Sprinkle with the bacon crumbles and bake the whole mess in a 350 degree oven for about 20 minutes, or until heated through. Serve over toast or toasted English muffin halves.
    interesting

disco Guest
    Shortening here (in Wisconsin) refers to any kind of "fat" or solid cooking oils made from plants, I think. Lard is absolutely animal fat, though. I can still find it in the meat case, but they hide it behind some "heart health" warnings or some bullshit. It comes in a box about the size and shape of the same box that a pound of butter comes in.
    lol Yea same here. Though I havent seen it in the major grocers, but I bet some of the remaining small stores have it.

MbalmR Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by disco View Post
    lol Yea same here. Though I havent seen it in the major grocers, but I bet some of the remaining small stores have it.
    I don't think lard is politically correct anymore. *sigh*

panda Guest

Runza

RUNZA

2 1-lb Loaves of frozen bread dough
    1 Medium onion chopped
    1 T butter
    1/2 Head of cabbage shredded
    1 lb Ground sirloin
    Shredded cheddar cheese (optional)

Follow directions on bread for thawing. Let bread rise 30-60 minutes at room temperature. Saute' onion in butter until transparent. Add cabbage & cook until soft. Add beef, salt & pepper to taste, cook until brown. Roll out each loaf to about 1/4" thickness and divide into 2 portions. Divide meat mixture into 4 portions & fill in each section of dough. Fold & seal dough. Place seal side down on a greased cookie sheet and bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes until golden brown. If adding cheese, cut horizontally & add when done. Do not overfill or roll dough too thin, it will cause them to split open during cooking (although they still taste great).

ENJOY * ENJOY * ENJOY

Littleroben Guest
    I don't think lard is politically correct anymore. *sigh*
    Guess the Brits aren't so pc, you can get lard in the supermarkets here in the margerine and butter counters. The goose fat is out already too!

SuckMyKiss Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Littleroben View Post
    Guess the Brits aren't so pc, you can get lard in the supermarkets here in the margerine and butter counters. The goose fat is out already too!
    Mmmm. Roast Potatoes cooked in Goose Fat are gorgeeeeeeeee.

pvezz Guest
    RUNZA

2 1-lb Loaves of frozen bread dough
    1 Medium onion chopped
    1 T butter
    1/2 Head of cabbage shredded
    1 lb Ground sirloin
    Shredded cheddar cheese (optional)

Follow directions on bread for thawing. Let bread rise 30-60 minutes at room temperature. Saute' onion in butter until transparent. Add cabbage & cook until soft. Add beef, salt & pepper to taste, cook until brown. Roll out each loaf to about 1/4" thickness and divide into 2 portions. Divide meat mixture into 4 portions & fill in each section of dough. Fold & seal dough. Place seal side down on a greased cookie sheet and bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes until golden brown. If adding cheese, cut horizontally & add when done. Do not overfill or roll dough too thin, it will cause them to split open during cooking (although they still taste great).

ENJOY * ENJOY * ENJOY
    Thanks, Panda! Can't wait to try this one!!

deathybrad Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by amaranthaseven View Post
    Do you have a sure-fire recipe you want to share? Are you desperate for a good brownie recipe for that bake sale next week? Post your recipes here, or request a recipe from your fellow "foodie" Hags!

I'll start the ball rolling with my mother-in-law's potato salad recipe (sorry, onehunglow). Note: no self-respecting German I know would pollute their potato salad with mayonnaise. This is a vinegar-based one.

Potato Salad:

8 medium potatoes (not Russet)
    1 medium onion, diced small
    1 cup hot chicken broth (can substitute vegetable broth for vegetarian)
    2 Tbsp. cider vinegar (I usually use 4 tbsp. or more, do to taste)
    4 Tbsp. oil
    1 tsp. salt + 1/4 tsp. pepper (I usually use a lot more of both, to taste)
    Fresh chives or parsley

Boil potatoes, remove water and cool covered for 2 hours. Peel and slice very thin. Pour hot broth over diced onions, let stand for 10 minutes. Mix salt, pepper, vinegar and oil, then pour over sliced potatoes. Stir carefully, so as to not break potato slices too much. Add chives or parsley. Taste for salt and vinegar. If it's too strong, add some boiling water to dilute.

Guten Appetit!
    This isn't potato salad. I don't know what it is but it's not potato salad.

deathybrad Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MoJo67 View Post
    I can't help myself, this is appropriate for this forum...

FUNERAL POTATOES

1 bag frozen hash browns (32 oz)
    1 can cream of chicken soup
    1 16 oz carton sour cream
    1 stick melted butter
    1/2 cup chopped onion
    1 cup shredded cheddar
    Mix all of this together, spread in a 9 x 13
    and top with crushed ritz or town house crackers.
    Cover with foil, bake for about 30 minutes, uncover
    and bake about 15 minutes longer.

They are called funeral potatoes, because (at least here in the
    Pacific Northwest) at every damn funeral dinner, these are
    served.
    What's a "funeral dinner"?

Thanks so much for all the creamed corn recipes. I'm gonna attempt to make it this year along with all the other stuff. God, most of the time I'm so damn tired by the time we sit down to eat that I'm straight to bed after...lol

Thanks again

You're welcome. Let us know how they turn out.

buddyhollylover Guest
    Right, all these sound niiiice but, the measurements here are different, exactly how much is a ''cup''??? And what the hell is ''shortening'' and ''half and half''?

i got one for you, i heard of "stone" how many pounds are in a stone?

thats how you measure someones weight out there right?
    Last edited by buddyhollylover; 11-18-2007 at 05:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by deathybrad View Post
    This isn't potato salad. I don't know what it is but it's not potato salad.
    It is according to millions of Germans! Germans don't use mayo in their potato salads. The other recipe for potato salad I have is served warm with a vinegar base and lots of bacon in it!

Cheers,
    Amy

Quote Originally Posted by buddyhollylover View Post
    i got one for you, i heard of "stone" how many pounds are in a stone?

thats how you measure someones weight out there right?

14lbs in a stone.

Can someone tell me why Lard is politically incorrect?

Quote Originally Posted by W Axl Rose View Post
    14lbs in a stone.

Can someone tell me why Lard is politically incorrect?
    I think it's a combination of a no-no for vegetarians as in animal fat from the animal, rather than an animal by-product (milk aka butterfat) or vegetable-based, and the fact that it's concentrated saturated fat, and thus a no-no for the low fat crowd.

Anybody else have a take on that? That's how I read it, anyway. Everybody has these butter substitutes now, like "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter", olive-oil base stuff that's supposed to boost the "good" cholesterol and all that, but you can't bake very well with a lot of that stuff!