2 tsp vanilla
    2 tbs sugar
    1 cup milk

French Toast

1 jumbo egg
    1 cup whole milk
    ¼ tsp vanilla extract
    8 pieces Texas Toast style bread

Make caramel sauce: Melt butter in a small saucepan over med heat. Add brown sugar & mix well. Add cream and bring to a simmer. Keep warm until needed.

Make vanilla sauce: whisk yolks and sugar into small bowl. In saucepan bring milk and vanilla to a low boil and remove from heat. Add a little of the heated milk to egg mixture to temper it, then add egg mixture to heated milk. Simmer over med heat for a few minutes, stirring constantly, until lightly thickened, but do not boil. Transfer to a bowl and set aside in an ice bath.

In a shallow bowl, beat together egg, milk and vanilla extract. Heat skillet, melt butter on skillet. One at a time, dip the bread slices into the milk mixture and place on skillet. Evenly brown both sides of bread. Transfer to a plate and spread a spoonful or two of vanilla sauce on 4 slices. Top each with a second piece to create sandwiches. Cut each sandwich in half diagonally. Cover each with a couple of spoonfuls of warm caramel sauce. Serve warm.

I've used that caramel sauce for other things, it's nice over ice cream. There are times I've made this and was too lazy to make the vanilla sauce to go inside. I've just done the quick caramel over the French toast, and it still tastes great. This is one of my husband's favorites.

Jack'sGirl Guest
    Blue Bayou Monte Cristo Sandwich
    Disneyland

1 egg
    1 ¾ cups plus two tbs water
    1 ¾ cups flour
    ¾ tsp salt
    1 tsp baking powder
    8 slices egg bread (or texas toast)
    slices of ham, turkey and swiss cheese
    3 cups oil

Line a cookie sheet with paper towels and set aside. To make the batter, whisk egg and water together into a bowl. Add flour, salt and baking powder and whisk thoroughly, scraping sides of bowl. Continue to whisk until smooth (20 min.) On one slice of bread arrange a slice each of ham, turkey and cheese, covering the bread evenly. Place another slice of bread on top and slice sandwich in half diagonally. Heat oil in a 10 inch frying pan or fryer to 365 to 375 degrees. Do not let the oil reach a higher temperature than this; if the oil starts to smoke, reduce heat.

Dip half of a sandwich into the batter, allowing excess to drain, and very carefully place into the oil. Repeat with the other sandwich half. Cook for 3 minutes on each side. Place the cooked sandwich onto the prepared cookie sheet in a warm oven until ready to serve. Repeat with other three sandwiches. Cook the sandwiches one at a time and allow the oil to reach the desired temperature between batches. Sprinkle sandwiches lightly with powdered sugar and serve with blackberry, raspberry or strawberry preserves on the side. Serve warm.

Jack'sGirl Guest
    These are the very best Snickerdoodles I have ever tasted. I have seen other recipes for Snickerdoodles, but they have ingredients in it like cream of tartar. WTF? Why? This recipe is much simpler, and soooo good. One thing I like about it is that you usually have these items on hand all the time.

I have posted this recipe on other message boards, and people rave over it.

Snickerdoodles

1 cup butter
    1 ½ cup sugar
    2 ¾ cup flour
    2 eggs
    1 ½ tsp baking powder
    1 tsp baking soda
    ½ tsp salt
    cinnamon & sugar mixture

Mix butter, sugar and eggs. Add remaining ingredients, mix. Roll dough into balls and roll balls into cinnamon and sugar mixture. Bake on ungreased cookie sheet at 400 degrees until light brown, about 10 min.

Jack'sGirl Guest
    I love to make this recipe for overnight company, and it makes a great Christmas morning recipe, because you put it together the night before, then you just slide it in the oven the next morning. This is another recipe that guests rave over. So simple, and the toast gets a nice, crisp edge to it. So delicious.

The original recipe said to use sliced French bread, but I've found that the Texas toast makes it come out much nicer. The French bread tends to have a thick, unmanagable crust once it's done.

Overnight Oven French Toast

¼ cup butter or margarine
    7 large eggs
    2 cups milk
    1/3 cup sugar
    ¼ tsp nutmeg
    ¼ tsp salt
    1 ½ tsp vanilla
    1 French bread loaf, cut into 1 inch slices, or Texas Toast
    powdered sugar

Spray pan with cooking spray to prevent sticking.
    Pour melted butter into bottom of pan to coat.
    Beat next 7 ingredients together well. Dip both sides of each bread slice into egg mixture. Lay in baking sheet. Pour any remaining mixture over slices. Cover and refrigerate overnight. (Can also be frozen at this point)

Uncover and bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.
    Dust with powdered sugar. Serve with syrup.

Oh, one more thing: if you've ever seen me, I'm "fluffy". I believe life is too short to be on a constant diet. My doc says my weight is fine, my BP and cholestrol are also good (as are hubby's!) so I don't fuss with low fat/low salt/low cal crap.

I say that because I saw Alton Brown's show on French Toast, he said to make it taste better, use heavy cream instead of the milk. The toast will come out more custardy. So when I do it, I use 2 cups of cream instead of the milk.

Jack'sGirl Guest
    Disney's Animal Kindgom Frunch

1 ½ cups mango juice
    ½ cup pineapple concentrate, thawed
    ½ cup lemonade concentrate, thawed
    2 cups orange juice
    3 cups water
    4 tbs grenadine

Mix all ingredients together. Serve over ice. Serves 8.

I find that If you buy two cans of the mango nectar, one can of each concentrate juice, and one carton of orange juice, you will have enough to make two batches, with some left over!

Jack'sGirl Guest
    This is one of my family's favorite recipes. We've made it for probably 15 years or more. I have doubled it with a larger pan, and it turns out well that way too. Truthfully? This is a recipe that you don't have to follow precisely. In fact, I mostly eyeball the ingredients. The original recipe said to thaw the potatoes first, but I forgot to do it once and it didn't make a difference, so I don't bother. You can use either the cubed potaoes or the shredded ones, I've done both.

Breakfast Pizza

1 lb sausage
    1 cup hash brown potatoes (O??Brien adds color/flavor)
    5 eggs
    1 cup shredded cheese
    (cheddar, jack, mozzarella, etc., your choice)
    milk
    1 can crescent rolls
    salt, pepper, seasoning salt to taste

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Open crescent rolls; unroll each roll, line bottom of 9 x 12 pan. Brown sausage. Sprinkle cooked sausage onto crescent rolls. Beat eggs and milk with salt, seasoning salt and pepper. Sprinkle potatoes over sausage. Pour eggs over sausage and potatoes. Sprinkle cheese on top.

Bake for 1 hour.

Jack'sGirl Guest
    Friendship Tea

2 cups Tang
    1 cup sugar
    1 cup lemonade drink mix
    ½ cup instant lemon tea
    2 tsp cinnamon

Mix together and store in an airtight container. Use 3 tsp to 1 cup boiling water.

We use this when we have a cold or flu. Even my hubby, who hates tea, will drink this when he's sick. It's delicious!

Jack'sGirl Guest
    Gooey Butter Cake

1 package yellow cake mix
    1 stick butter or margarine
    1 egg
    1 tbs water

1 box (16oz) powdered/confectioners sugar
    1 8oz package cream cheese, softened
    2 eggs

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. With mixer in a large mixing bowl, mix cake mix, butter or margarine, 1 egg and water. Spread into a greased 9 x 13? pan (you can use a larger pan too ?? a lasagna size pan is more like 10 x 15 and it works well too.)

On medium speed, mix powdered sugar, cream cheese and two eggs until well blended. Pour over cake.

Bake for 45 to 50 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature, for breakfast coffee cake or dessert.

The first layer is very dry, not a cake batter consistency. This is ok! The cake is so moist that you swear there is some kind of fruit in it. I've done it as a pineapple upside down cake, and I've also added fresh strawberries on the bottom layer. Delicious!

One thing you have to remember: this is so sugary and sweet, if you have someone with blood sugar problems, make sure they eat well before having a piece. My husband does, and he will get an instant headache if he eats it on an empty stomach.

Jack'sGirl Guest
    Overnight Oatmeal

By Alton Brown (but tweaked by KC!)

1 cup steel cut oats (also known as pinhead oats)
    4 cups water
    ½ cup heavy cream

Optional: 2 cups dried fruit

In a crock-pot, combine all ingredients and set to low heat. Cover and let cook for 8-9 hours.

Stir and remove to serving bowls. This method works best if started before you go to bed. This way your oatmeal will be finished by morning. Serves 4-5.

When Alton Brown makes this, he uses dried fruit in it. We tried that, and it came out a gross, glopped mess. We took out the fruit, and I used cream instead of half and half. Tastes better that way! My picky child who hates everything likes this recipe. And steel cut oats are really good for you. It's fun to wake up to breakfast!

Jack'sGirl Guest
    Disney Stuffed French Toast

2 cups flour
    1 tsp baking powder
    1 ½ cups water
    2 eggs
    Vegetable oil for frying
    3 4-inch cheese Danish, cut into half or quarters
    Powdered sugar

In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, eggs and water. In a frying pan (or electric skillet) heat the oil to 365 degrees. Dip the cheese Danish pieces into batter and carefully place them into the heated oil. Fry both sides until golden brown. Remove the pieces from the oil and pat them dry with a paper towel or on a cooling rack lined with paper towels. Place in warmed oven to keep heated while making the rest of the French toast. Dust with powdered sugar; serve with maple syrup, berry syrup, or fruit compote and whipped cream. Serves 6.

This recipe will make your kitchen smell like a bakery! Yum!

Jack'sGirl Guest
    Disney Tropical Fruit Caesar Salad

For the fruit salad:

1 mango 1 star fruit
    1 papaya 1 cup strawberries
    ½ pineapple, or 1 can pineapple chunks, drained
    2 kiwi fruit

For the garnish:

1 cup coconut flakes 1/3 cup unsalted butter
    1 8oz pound cake 1 tbs mint leaves, finely chopped
    zest of 1 lemon

For the dressing:

1 ¼ cup chopped white chocolate 1/8 tsp vanilla
    zest of 2 oranges 1 tsp poppy seeds
    juice of 2 oranges
    1 ¼ cups heavy cream, room temperature

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cut all the fruit into medium sized pieces and mix in a large bowl. Refrigerate until needed.

Place coconut flakes on an ungreased baking sheet and toast in oven, stirring twice, until golden brown (4-8 min). Remove from oven and set aside to cool. Leave oven at 350 degrees.

To make croutons, cut pound cake into ½ inch cubes. Place lemon zest and butter in a medium saucepan and cook over low heat until butter melts; remove from heat. Add cake cubes and stir until well-coated. Place croutons on an ungreased baking sheet and bake, stirring twice, until golden brown (12 to 15 minutes). Sprinkle with mint and set aside.

Melt white chocolate in a double boiler or microwave. Add the remaining ingredients and stir until thoroughly mixed. Let cool to room temperature.

When cooled, add the dressing to the salad ½ cup at a time and toss, until you have the desired amount. Portion fruit salad onto six plates or bowls. Garnish with croutons, then sprinkle with coconut flakes and serve.

This makes a pretty impressive fruit salad. It does take awhile to make, but it's good. I left out the mint, as hubby hates it. Also left out the poppy seeds, as we have allergies in the family. Still turned out great.

Jack'sGirl Guest
    If anyone listens, I got this from the Rob, Arnie and Dawn radio show, this is Rob's chili. I adapted it for the crock pot. My family loves this chili!

Rob??s Chili with Beans

1 1/2 pounds ground beef
    2 medium white onions, chopped
    1 cup diced celery
    5 tsp. chopped garlic
    6 oz. tomato paste
    1 14.5 oz. can chopped tomatoes
    15 oz. can tomato sauce
    2 cups beef stock
    2 cans red kidney beans
    1 bunch fresh basil leaves, chopped
    salt and pepper
    4 tbsp. chili powder
    Dash cayenne pepper
    ½ tsp. ground oregano
    ¼ tsp. ground sage
    ¼ tsp. ground thyme
    1 tsp garlic powder
    1 tsp. onion powder
    2 tbsp. ground cumin
    1/2 tsp. brown sugar

Heat 2 tbsp. olive oil over medium-high heat and brown the meat in a large saucepan. Season with salt and pepper. Add onions, garlic, and celery and saute for 10 minutes. Add more salt and pepper to taste. Add all of the spices, stir into the mix and cook for two minutes.* Add all of the remaining ingredients, except the beans and stir in more salt and pepper. Cover pot and cook on low heat, stirring occasionally for 1 hour. Check the taste and add seasonings as necessary. Cook, uncovered for 45 minutes. Add the kidney beans, stir in and cook for 15 minutes. Serve.
    *At this point you can put into crock pot, cooking slower and longer.

Jack'sGirl Guest
    Beef Pot Roast done in Crock Pot

1 boneless beef pot roast (chuck, shoulder or round)
    Salt and pepper to taste
    3/4 cup water
    1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
    1 tsp. instant beef bullion
    1 tsp. dried basil, crushed
    Potatoes
    Carrots
    Onions, cut into wedges
    Celery, cut to one inch slices

Trim fat from meat. Sliced vegetables into crock pot. Put meat on top. Mix though water, Worcestershire, bouillon, basil and salt and add to crock pot. Cover and cook on low for 10 to 12 hours or on high for five to six hours. Prepared gravy with left over juice if you like. Makes 8 to 10 servings.

Jack'sGirl Guest
    Disney Vanilla Bread Pudding

½ loaf Texas toast, broken up
    2 cups heavy cream
    1 cup brown sugar
    1 tbs cinnamon
    8 eggs
    1 tbs vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 275 degrees. In a 9 x 13 pan, line with parchment paper and spray with non stick spray.

Place all ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Let set for 5 minutes until ingredients are soft. With an electric mixer, mix until it makes a batter. Pour into prepared pan, cover and cook for 1 hour 20 minutes. Uncover and cool to room temperature. Flip out onto pa, cut into squares and top with Bailey’s hard cream sauce.

Bailey’s Hard Cream Sauce

2 cups butter
    1 cup powdered sugar
    2 tbs vanilla extract
    4 tbs Bailey’s (or any brand Irish cream liqueur)

In a mixing bowl, mix butter until smooth. Add sugar and vanilla and mix well. Add Bailey’s a little at a time until blended well. Store in refrigerator in a sealed container.

MoonRabbit Guest
    Jack's girl show us how to do the BBQ ribs!!!!!

"One thing I do in there is my BBQ ribs. They get a dry rub the night before, then I slow cook them all day in beer. I take them out and brush them with homemade BBQ sauce, then either put them on the grill for a few minutes, or under the broiler. Then I serve with extra BBQ sauce. I swear, my guys will no longer order ribs out anymore. Hubby gets mad because he has to struggle to get the meat off the bones elsewhere, whereas mine just fall off the bone."

Jack'sGirl Guest
    Disney Mac and Cheese with Blue Cheese Crust

4 tbs butter
    3 tbs flour
    3 cups milk
    ½ tsp Kosher salt
    ¼ tsp white pepper
    1 cup shredder Tillamook Cheddar Cheese
    4 cups cooked pasta (elbow, penne, etc.)
    1 cup bleu cheese, crumbled
    ½ cup Panko Japanese Bread Crumbs

Preheat oven to 375

Melt butter in 1 qt saucepan over low heat. Whisk in Flour, stirring to combine. Cook 3-5 minutes to avoid flour taste. Gradually add in milk, whisking constantly until thickened. Season with salt and pepper.

Add Tillamook cheese and stir until evenly combined. Pour sauce over cooked pasta, stir to coat and place in an oven safe dish.

Combine crumbled bleu cheese and Panko bread crumbs and top the pasta and cheese sauce. Bake for approx 30 minutes. Center should be hot and the topping should be golden brown.

This recipe called for something called Maytag Bleu cheese, and I couldn't find it ANYWHERE. So I just used regular Bleu cheese, and it worked fine!

Dixie Girl Guest
    Jack's girl..awesome recipes, thanks so much for sharing! I have been looking for a great caramel sauce recipe, I may try that this weekend.

don't_axe_me Guest
    Thanks, Jack's Girl! You rock!

sunshine2828 Guest
    Great recipes Jack's girl....thanks!!

guardmom2008 Guest
    Thanks JG for those wonderful recipes.

MmmRavioli Guest
    I found this on the internet about a year ago. It was a great find! I make it pretty frequently now and have passed it onto family, friends, and co-workers who now make it regularly, too.

[SIZE=6][SIZE=2]

Fuss-Free Ravioli and Cheese Bake[/SIZE]

[SIZE=5]1. Ingredients
    [/SIZE]1 (16 ounce) jar spaghetti sauce
    1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
    1 (10 fluid ounce) can reduced sodium beef broth
    1/4 cup KRAFT Zesty Italian Dressing
    2 (9 ounce) packages fresh cheese-filled ravioli (beef or sausage works fine too)
    1 cup KRAFT Shredded Low-Moisture Part-Skim Mozzarella Cheese
    [SIZE=4]Nutrition Info
    [/SIZE]Per Serving
    Calories: 266 kcal
    Carbohydrates: 35 g
    Dietary Fiber: 4 g
    Fat: 8 g
    Protein: 12 g
    Sugars: 3 g

[SIZE=5]2. Cooking Directions
    [/SIZE]Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Combine spaghetti sauce, tomatoes with their liquid, broth and dressing in 13x9-inch baking dish. Add ravioli; mix lightly. Cover with foil.
    Bake 50 min. or until ravioli are tender.
    Remove foil; stir. Sprinkle with cheese. Let stand 5 min. or until cheese melts.
    Yield: 6 servings
    [/SIZE]

TallulahDahling Guest

Attention foodies!

Fresh, cayenne peppers. Got a ton. Other than the obvious, dry them out and grind them or make into pepper sauce..you got any ideas? I'm covered up, dahlings!
    Thanky!
    Tallu
    XOXO

Dixie Girl Guest
    I love to stick them in oil with assorted herbs, sometimes add some babies breath to it as well, and put them into decorative bottles and give to friends...they look awesome as kitchen decorations.
    If you boil them in a small amount of vinegar/oil, (VERY small) for about 1 minute or so, along with your other herbs, it also gives fresh sandwiches a nice bite to a vinaigrette to put on sandwiches for those who don't like things too spicy.
    I also fried some this week with cabbage and Italian sausage lol--I simply fried the sausage with the peppers to spice it up (they fry away into nothing) and then fry the cabbage in the oil...my patient liked it.
    Last edited by Dixie Girl; 07-07-2009 at 02:34 PM.

Cataroo Guest
    I don't know if anything here will help, but it might be a start:

http://recipes.wikia.com/wiki/Cayenne_pepper

Nelliebean Guest
    Dahling!

Right now I'd like to dump half a pound of it in cookie batter for some of my anal coworkers.

I can dream, can't I?

lolly89 Guest
    Whats a ca...yenn..ne pepp...ers??? Cant cook anything worth a damn more than Veg soup or Stovies (Trad Scottish dish which is SOOOOO yum with puff pastry) sorry ma honey!

MbalmR Guest
    I'm really fired up now. As some of you know, I'm limping through a "Death Hags Cook" recipe book. The latest additions are inspiring. I need more "on the slab" recipes involving beef! Keep 'em coming!

Dixie Girl Guest
    MBalmR, no offense, but reading your post made me think of a great cookbook title guaranteed to get people to think twice!
    ""You Stab 'Em, I'll Slab "Em--a Mortician's Guide to Beef Done right."
    *giggles*

TallulahDahling Guest
    Found this:
    http://www.portuguese-recipes.com/Piri-Piri%20Sauce.htm

Would make a nice marinade or dipping sauce.

TallulahDahling Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MbalmR View Post
    I'm really fired up now. As some of you know, I'm limping through a "Death Hags Cook" recipe book. The latest additions are inspiring. I need more "on the slab" recipes involving beef! Keep 'em coming!

Grilling? What's your pleasure, dahling?

buddyhollylover Guest

food question

i should know this but i'm not sure...

i'm making a pot of chicken pot pie soup, and it calls for heavy cream.
    i have heavy 'whipping' cream, is that the same thing? can i use that?

my mil said yeah but i was wondering if anyone else would know

thanks ~ lisa

scott69 Guest
    No that will not work....

John Connor Guest
    Heavy whipping cream is heavy cream. It generally has a fat content between 36-42% but if you use a light whipping cream it doesn't make much difference.

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    It is the same thing.

MissJames Guest
    same thing..... I love heavy cream...with everything..lol

pattykad Guest
    I made a soup from a Cooking Light Magazine recipe and it
    called for a can of condensed milk. It is a lower fat/calorie
    option for soups.

opheliahardin Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by pattykad View Post
    I made a soup from a Cooking Light Magazine recipe and it
    called for a can of condensed milk. It is a lower fat/calorie
    option for soups.
    And God knows how much more sugar!

Me luvs my heavy whipping cream...

pvezz Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by JJames View Post
    same thing..... I love heavy cream...with everything..lol

Love to make vodka sauce with heavy cream, but good Lord, the calories!

In the United States, cream is usually sold as:

Half and half (10.5–18% fat)
    Light, coffee, or table cream (18–30% fat)
    Medium cream (25% fat)
    Whipping or light whipping cream (30–36% fat)
    Heavy whipping cream (36% or more)
    Extra-heavy, double, or manufacturer's cream (38–40% or more), generally not available at retail except at some warehouse and specialty stores.

In the United Kingdom, the types of cream are legally defined as follows:

Clotted cream (55% fat) Heat treated, served as it is with scones, jam, on pies etc.
    Double cream (48% fat) Whips the easiest and thickest for puddings and desserts, can be piped
    Whipped cream (35% fat) Decorations on cakes and gateaux
    Sterilized cream (23% fat) is sterilized
    Cream or single cream (18% fat) is not sterilized. Poured over puddings, used in coffee
    Sterilized half cream (12% fat) is sterilized
    Half cream (12% fat) is not sterilized. Used in coffee, some cocktails
    Last edited by neilmpenny; 07-30-2009 at 06:32 PM. Reason: Why not?
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

Quote Originally Posted by neilmpenny View Post
    In the United States, cream is usually sold as:

Half and half (10.5??18% fat)
    Light, coffee, or table cream (18??30% fat)
    Medium cream (25% fat)
    Whipping or light whipping cream (30??36% fat)
    Heavy whipping cream (36% or more)
    Extra-heavy, double, or manufacturer's cream (38??40% or more), generally not available at retail except at some warehouse and specialty stores.

In the United Kingdom, the types of cream are legally defined as follows:

Clotted cream (55% fat) Heat treated, served as it is with scones, jam, on pies etc.
    Double cream (48% fat) Whips the easiest and thickest for puddings and desserts, can be piped
    Whipped cream (35% fat) Decorations on cakes and gateaux
    Sterilized cream (23% fat) is sterilized
    Cream or single cream (18% fat) is not sterilized. Poured over puddings, used in coffee
    Sterilized half cream (12% fat) is sterilized
    Half cream (12% fat) is not sterilizedUsed in coffee, some cocktails

Fantastic info mate! "clotted" sounds sooo nasty for something that tastes soooooooo wonderful.

Lisa, please send sample of potpie so we can assess outcome. thanks!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Wow, that was some huge-open-mouthed-but-totally-straight-bromance greeting. (爆)~RaRa

buddyhollylover Guest
    oh it came out great! i added a can of cream of chicken soup to it too. at the end i had to thickin it alittle so i did have to change a few things but heres the recipe i used, but w/o the pastry, almonds & mushrooms. and i used a bag of mixed vegies:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Chicken...ds/Detail.aspx

it needs a little altering but it's great!

thanks for the tips!

Quote Originally Posted by amaranthaseven View Post
    Do you have a sure-fire recipe you want to share? Are you desperate for a good brownie recipe for that bake sale next week? Post your recipes here, or request a recipe from your fellow "foodie" Hags!

I'll start the ball rolling with my mother-in-law's potato salad recipe (sorry, onehunglow). Note: no self-respecting German I know would pollute their potato salad with mayonnaise. This is a vinegar-based one.

Potato Salad:

8 medium potatoes (not Russet)
    1 medium onion, diced small
    1 cup hot chicken broth (can substitute vegetable broth for vegetarian)
    2 Tbsp. cider vinegar (I usually use 4 tbsp. or more, do to taste)
    4 Tbsp. oil
    1 tsp. salt + 1/4 tsp. pepper (I usually use a lot more of both, to taste)
    Fresh chives or parsley

Boil potatoes, remove water and cool covered for 2 hours. Peel and slice very thin. Pour hot broth over diced onions, let stand for 10 minutes. Mix salt, pepper, vinegar and oil, then pour over sliced potatoes. Stir carefully, so as to not break potato slices too much. Add chives or parsley. Taste for salt and vinegar. If it's too strong, add some boiling water to dilute.

Guten Appetit!
    I love this thread! I have a great brownie recipe but I don't dare post it here because it might get me in trouble.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by MoonRabbit View Post
    Jack's girl show us how to do the BBQ ribs!!!!!

"One thing I do in there is my BBQ ribs. They get a dry rub the night before, then I slow cook them all day in beer. I take them out and brush them with homemade BBQ sauce, then either put them on the grill for a few minutes, or under the broiler. Then I serve with extra BBQ sauce. I swear, my guys will no longer order ribs out anymore. Hubby gets mad because he has to struggle to get the meat off the bones elsewhere, whereas mine just fall off the bone."
    I too would like the rib recipe. Never cooked them but have woofed a few down in my time.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

MbalmR Guest
    I haven't had ribs since mortuary school, but I'd sure like to try those ribs, Jack's Girl! Please post!

pattykad Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by opheliahardin View Post
    And God knows how much more sugar!

Me luvs my heavy whipping cream...
    No, it's not the sweetened condensed milk, it's just condensed
    milk. Anyway...it was just a suggestion.
    Last edited by pattykad; 08-01-2009 at 06:34 AM.

Harleycat Guest
    Mock Lasagne

This is so easy to throw together on a weeknight.

1- 30oz package square cheese ravioli (do not use the round ones, they don't work)
    1 lb ground beef or turkey
    1 - 28oz jar of your favorite sauce (or use your own)
    8 oz shredded mozzarella cheese

Brown the meat and add sauce
    Preheat oven to 375 degrees
    Layer sauce, 12 ravioli, then mozzarella cheese in a 2 qt casserole dish
    repeat until you have used all the ravioli
    Cover with foil and bake for 1 hour
    Uncover and top with remaining mozzarella cheese (and some parm cheese if you like, hubby doesn't like it)
    Bake for 5 minutes more or until cheese is melted
    Let stand about 15 minutes before serving

I bake it on a cookie sheet in case of any spillovers.

It tastes just like lasange but it's much less work.

pvezz Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MbalmR View Post
    I haven't had ribs since mortuary school, but I'd sure like to try those ribs, Jack's Girl! Please post!

Yes, please do!

My husband has been trying to cook the perfect rib for weeks now. I don't eat them, but I'm sure he'd love to try your recipe!

scott69 Guest

Talking

Heres a great recipe my grandmother used to make going back to the 1940's.... she served it a lot at bridge parties during the summer months.

Marinated Sweet Pea Salad

3/4 cup vinegar
    3/4 cup sugar
    1 tsp salt
    pepper to taste
    17 oz. can english peas drained
    12 oz shoe peg corn (MUST BE SHOE PEG CORN)
    2 oz. jar pimiento drained
    1 cup finely chopped celery
    1 cup finely chopped onion

Combine 1st 5 ingredients bring to boil for 1 minute let cool completely combine the other ingredients, toss lightly and refridgerate over night.

Fujicakes Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by herekittykitty View Post
    Fantastic info mate! "clotted" sounds sooo nasty for something that tastes soooooooo wonderful.
    Word. My arteries clogged up a little just by reading that.

This is the easiest and most delicious Lasagna. I also use the sauce for my spagetti.

Ingredients:
    1 lb. ground beef
    1 onion, chopped (or pureed, if you have a 10 year old who won't eat them!)
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    2 cans tomato sauce (14 oz cans)
    2 tbsp. sugar
    2 tbsp. olive oil
    2 bay leaves
    1 tsp. oregano
    1/2 tsp. basil
    garlic pepper to taste
    mozzarella cheese, shredded
    No cook lasagna noodles
    cottage cheese

Brown meat in oil. Add onion & garlic when meat is almost brown. Add tomato sauce & spices. Simmer 30 minutes for spagetti sauce or 40 minutes if you're making lasagna. Take a square pyrex dish. Alternate layers of sauce & noodles. Top with cottage cheese & mozzarella. Bake 30 minutes @ 350!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]