Page 1 of 12 12310 ... LastLast

Thread: Stephen King

endsleigh03 Guest

Stephen King

I was looking at "The Mist" thread and thought I'd do this one on Stephen King, he's a neat Findadeath fit.
    What's your Favorite King book/books?
    My favorites were "It" and "Salems lot". (That part where the boy was hanging and scratching at the window scared me to death)

Not to come off like a pompous ass but I really don't know any other way to say it...

I've read every book he's ever written

The first book of Stephen King's I read was The Stand which I read when I was 15. It's still my fave. The second would have to be The Green Mile. Favorite short stories would include The Body, Autopsy Room Four and Apt Pupil. I love them all pretty much. Bachman books too.

King's writing is also of the everyman style and he's got one of the best imaginations we have working in fiction today, imo. In other words if he ever does pop by FAD, thanks Steve. Your engrossing work kept this kid out of even more trouble in high school and gave me something fun to read when I was grounded. My Mom thanks you too.

I think you're right. Stephen King is an excellent fit here.

Bayou Voodoo Guest
    As I answer this I'm looking at the bookcase in my living room that is devoted to Stephen King. I own everything by him that I can get my hands on...books, magazine articles, forewords in other books, etc and so forth. I first read Carrie when I was about 12 and I've been hooked ever since. Thankfully my mother never censored what I read, and that she bought me pretty much any book I asked for. (About the only nice thing she ever did for me.)

attackatdawn Guest
    Stephen King is one of my favorite authors, I like all of his books, The Stand is just one of my many favorites.

secretsquirrel13 Guest
    The Stand...hands down....
    I have read and re read that book many times over (the unabridged version), and I find something different in it every time.
    Its a classic in my eyes...

Darrianne Guest
    Eyes Of The Dragon is one of my favorites. I love all his collections of short stories.

SuburbanDeathHag Guest
    I like all of his books as well, but the one that was the most unsetteling for me was Pet Semetery. "Death is a mystery, burial is a secret."

Being from Maine, he is like our State author. I have to agree, The Stand is probably my favorite. I do like his earlier ones also, like Cujo, Firestarter, Carrie, Christine. Cujo is the one the scared me the most as a kid, until I read the Stand. The sniffle/cold thing...spooky
    The survival of everyone on board depends on just one thing: finding someone on board who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner.

Guest Guest
    The Stand (my favorite book of all time)...The Dark Tower series...Green Mile shorts....Gerald's Game....IT....The Talisman

atlantis Guest
    Oh my gosh, Stephen King is my fave author. No one else even comes close. The Shining is a fantastic book. The movie was okay. But I really don't think his books translate to the large or small screen very well. Sometimes his words only make sense as they run through your head, not someone else's head (screenplay). The Stand is a real piece of work. The mini-series was pretty good (Corin Nemec was great not to mention Rob Lowe).

"It" the movie AND the book will freak me out til the end of time. God knows I hate clowns and Pennywise is a fuckin' nightmare on wheels, man.

Has anyone read his non-fiction works (On Writing is one and I can't think of the other ones)? I cannot get enough of his writing advice. I am an aspiring author though I haven't been published yet. But that's okay b/c SK was rejected 158 times before he was published. I have only been rejected about a dozen times. He has given me the courage to make my characters as honest as they can be (the same thing he does with his) That's the main reason I love him so much. I really don't dig on monsters and shit (although I adore the paranormal and metaphysical and esoteric, which he writes about all the time) but to me his work isn't about the gore/scare factor. It's much deeper than that. It's about mankind. That's too general, I know.

I can't think of anything I have read by him that I did NOT like. I truly love it all.

Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by atlantis View Post
    Oh my gosh, Stephen King is my fave author. No one else even comes close. The Shining is a fantastic book. The movie was okay. But I really don't think his books translate to the large or small screen very well. Sometimes his words only make sense as they run through your head, not someone else's head (screenplay). The Stand is a real piece of work. The mini-series was pretty good (Corin Nemec was great not to mention Rob Lowe).

"It" the movie AND the book will freak me out til the end of time. God knows I hate clowns and Pennywise is a fuckin' nightmare on wheels, man.

Has anyone read his non-fiction works (On Writing is one and I can't think of the other ones)? I cannot get enough of his writing advice. I am an aspiring author though I haven't been published yet. But that's okay b/c SK was rejected 158 times before he was published. I have only been rejected about a dozen times. He has given me the courage to make my characters as honest as they can be (the same thing he does with his) That's the main reason I love him so much. I really don't dig on monsters and shit (although I adore the paranormal and metaphysical and esoteric, which he writes about all the time) but to me his work isn't about the gore/scare factor. It's much deeper than that. It's about mankind. That's too general, I know.

I can't think of anything I have read by him that I did NOT like. I truly love it all.
    I have THE STAND on DVD and have watched it with the commentary...one of the points that the director Mick Garris pointed out...when Stephen King writes about the haunted house the story is really about the people that live in the house and not the ghosts that occupy it...I got turned onto SK about 7 years ago and can't wait to read the next book! THE STAND to me is his most frightening because something like a superflu could happen...and we can all imagine that their would be good survivors and bad survivors...I've read and re read that one about 8 times...I love it!

PS His book ON WRITING was an amazing look into his history as well

viridescence Guest
    I am a fan as well and have read everything he has even written. I think my favorite novel of his is "It." I generally prefer his short story collections. "Different Seasons" is my favorite of those but I also like "Skeleton Crew." I have not loved all of his novels; sometimes I think that they go on too long and could have ended 50+ pages sooner than they do.

I am always amazed there are still movies made from his stories, novellas and novels. As far as I know most of them are not successful and some of them are just downright embarassing (The "It" TV movie and the "Langoliers" TV movie come to mind here). I think sometimes it's because there's not really the budget to make the special effects believable. But most of them time they're just not done well. I will be interested to see what comes of "The Mist."

endsleigh03 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by viridescence View Post
    I am a fan as well and have read everything he has even written. I think my favorite novel of his is "It." I generally prefer his short story collections. "Different Seasons" is my favorite of those but I also like "Skeleton Crew." I have not loved all of his novels; sometimes I think that they go on too long and could have ended 50+ pages sooner than they do.

I am always amazed there are still movies made from his stories, novellas and novels. As far as I know most of them are not successful and some of them are just downright embarassing (The "It" TV movie and the "Langoliers" TV movie come to mind here). I think sometimes it's because there's not really the budget to make the special effects believable. But most of them time they're just not done well. I will be interested to see what comes of "The Mist."
    Much asI like his books, "Tommyknockers" was not a fav of mine.
    For film I did Like "Cujo" and "Pet Sematary" Also, some of the scenes from "The Stand" were really scary, too close to what could be. I also liked "Storm of the Century".

Johnnynero Guest
    Like most of you, I've read a lot of King... I mean, A LOT... To the point of having met my wife in a Stephen King discussion group online... She was from Australia, I was from Iowa... Ahh, the romaticism... But I digress.
    My favorite is "The Talisman". They were actually going to make a movie of this (although most of the movies from his books flat out suck) but I hear it's been put on the shelf for the time being... His newer one, "Lisey's Story" was kinda cool... FYI, his son, Joe Hill, is a fabulous writer... Check out "Heart Shaped Box" and "20th Century Ghost"...Now HE is perfect for this site!

endsleigh03 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnnynero View Post
    Like most of you, I've read a lot of King... I mean, A LOT... To the point of having met my wife in a Stephen King discussion group online... She was from Australia, I was from Iowa... Ahh, the romaticism... But I digress.
    My favorite is "The Talisman". They were actually going to make a movie of this (although most of the movies from his books flat out suck) but I hear it's been put on the shelf for the time being... His newer one, "Lisey's Story" was kinda cool... FYI, his son, Joe Hill, is a fabulous writer... Check out "Heart Shaped Box" and "20th Century Ghost"...Now HE is perfect for this site!
    I did read "Heart-Shaped" and I thought it was excellent. I am gonna look for "20th Century"

Has anyone read his non-fiction works (On Writing is one and I can't think of the other ones)?
    You betcha!

Carrie Guest
    The Stand...my favorite

Spencemom Guest
    So hard to pick a favorite, but mine is Insomnia. What a great book!

Nik Guest
    Hm. It, The Stand, Desperation/The Regulators, oh, right! Cell. Also, Dreamcatcher. I like just about all of them, though.

MorbidMolly Guest
    I am thrilled they are making the " Mist " into a movie, and I hope they don`t screw it up....one of my all time favorite novella`s of his...another one is " The Reach ".....excellant story......" Talisman " with Peter Straub , have read this one so many times I can`t count ....." The Stand " a classic....." Different Seasons "......that copy is seriously dog-eared ,and of course " It "...didn`t really get into the Richard Thomas TV version ....his later works aren`t the same for me....

tensecondstolove Guest
    OH I love this thread! Yes, longtime King fan here. I have a lot of his books on paperback which brings me to the question--there is an online fan readers club which if you sign up for it you get a King book each month in hardcover. Is anyone here a member and if so, do you have a link? I have wanted to join that foreverrrrr

The Stand
    Salem's Lot
    Night Shift
    Christine

Carrie Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Spencemom View Post
    So hard to pick a favorite, but mine is Insomnia. What a great book!
    AHHHH....I hated that book...it was sooo long and boring to me...it....well, it almost put me to sleep.....

Ms. K Guest
    Oh gosh, I love reading Stephen King!

The Stand is my favorite, followed closely by The Green Mile, and the short story and novella collections.

I can't wait to see The Mist, it looks like it will be right there in veracity with the story.

endsleigh03 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by tensecondstolove View Post
    OH I love this thread! Yes, longtime King fan here. I have a lot of his books on paperback which brings me to the question--there is an online fan readers club which if you sign up for it you get a King book each month in hardcover. Is anyone here a member and if so, do you have a link? I have wanted to join that foreverrrrr
    I thought I saw something like that on a TV ad? Anyone knows anything about it please post, I'd like to join too.

Stephen King is a literary God in my eyes..lol I've loved him since the age of 14 when I read Firestarter. My favorite novel is Pet Semetary. My least favorite was The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon.

Oh, was anyone else REALLY dissapointed in the ending to the Dark Tower series? Maybe it was just me because the series was coming to an end, but I hated how it ended.

Bag of Bones was very good too. Okay, I'll stop now...lol
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] ~smoochies~

tensecondstolove Guest
    ^LOL I am having sooo much trouble getting through the Dark Tower series. I have to read like 2 other books at the same time because it's so disturbing to me. Don't get me wrong--I love it. But for some reason I take like a year off in between books lol

Quote Originally Posted by tensecondstolove View Post
    ^LOL I am having sooo much trouble getting through the Dark Tower series. I have to read like 2 other books at the same time because it's so disturbing to me. Don't get me wrong--I love it. But for some reason I take like a year off in between books lol
    I hear ya...when you start going through life using the words like "ka", it's time to take a break...lol
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] ~smoochies~

disco Guest
    christine - hands down
    king made me believe

endsleigh03 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumbilina View Post
    I hear ya...when you start going through life using the words like "ka", it's time to take a break...lol
    My old roommate was actually running around the house at one point saying "Ka" lol
    Thats why shes my old roommate

Armcast Guest
    I love his short stories, especially his early work. The Long Walk is my favorite. As for the novellas, I like The Stand and Needful Things.

Mrs. Watson Guest
    The Stand is my favorite. I just read Bag Of Bones and liked it a lot. I think he lost a bit of his momentum for a while.

On Writing is like a Bible to me, as an aspiring writer. I find it amazing that he wrote so many excellent books while he was totally effed up.

33. 11-07-2007, 01:17 PM

hoxharding Guest
    I like older King stories. I am also a fan of the Bentley Little. King was reading one of his novels when he was hit by that van.
    If you like King, there is a good chance you will like Bentley Little's books. Just don't read them while walking anywhere.

endsleigh03 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by hoxharding View Post
    I like older King stories. I am also a fan of the Bentley Little. King was reading one of his novels when he was hit by that van.
    If you like King, there is a good chance you will like Bentley Little's books. Just don't read them while walking anywhere.
    Hox, you aren't saying he was walking down the road READING are you?
    OMG, I dont mean to laugh but I am anyway.

endsleigh03 Guest
    Didn't the guy who hit him end up dying a while later?

BabyDoll Guest
    I love "Sara" (could have a different title in English though)
    And I really enjoyed "Salem's Lot" and "It"

hoxharding Guest
    Yes, the guy who hit him died. I can't recall if it was murder,accident or suicide.

BabyDoll Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by hoxharding View Post
    Yes, the guy who hit him died. I can't recall if it was murder,accident or suicide.
    http://www.beachbrowser.com/Archives...ing-Buried.htm

Kathyf Guest
    i always have loved his work. I always watch his movies but don't read the books.

BabyDoll Guest
    For some reason I love the campy "Rose Red" miniseries by King

endsleigh03 Guest
    Looks llike the guy who hit him didn't have an easy life. And then to plow down Stephen King. Or anybody for that matter.

endsleigh03 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BabyDoll View Post
    For some reason I love the campy "Rose Red" miniseries by King
    I always thought the blonde English guy (Julian ?) was a hottie. He was in "Boxing Helena" what a weird movie that was.

BabyDoll Guest
    Oh you mean Julian Sands.
    And yes, Boxing Helena was VERY weird

rantat Guest
    Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption was excellent

Kugmu Guest
    "The Stand" is one of my all time favorite books.
    I've read it many times over the years.
    However the mini-series sucked and "The Stand:Complete and Uncut Edition"
    is also not worh it imho.

onehunglow Guest
    [SIZE=3]Well every now and then we have to agree to disagree. I think this man is a mentally disturbed individual with whom I would not trust to look after Michael Vick. Only a very twisted sick mind could conceive of this crap. I watched Pet Cemetery until they murdered a child. Yeah I know he was hit by a truck. To me there was nothing entertaining about it even if it was only acting. That was as close I have come to watching a scream movie. I don’t like the man. I was quite entertained however when his ass got run over by a truck. [/SIZE]

It and Green mile

saintlyone Guest
    cujo It and green mile for me

endsleigh03 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnnynero View Post
    The library doesn't have 20th century ghost, darn it.
    Have to Amazon it, I liked the other book alot.

I have the audio of 20th century ghost- ITunes was selling the stories from Joe Hills new book for $0.95 per story- I think there were 13. I started listening to it, but haven't been able to finish it yet.

Stephen King runs hot and cold for me. I've read the Stand, but to me, "It" was the scariest- I actually had to put that down and walk away at times- more because some of the descriptions of what happened to people gave me such a bad case of puckering asshole syndrome that I had to stop reading. Also loved Eyes of the Dragon, Different Seasons (except Apt Pupil- I thought that one was boring), Carrie and Green Mile.

My favorite movie adaptation was Stand By Me- especially the Lardass Hogan Barf-o-Rama part.

P.S. Is it true that Stephen King has macular degeneration?
    Performing my signature monkey hump move since 10/16/2007...

RIP Dad- 11/14/1947 to 12/16/2013