Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lockerbie

RubySlippers Guest
    such b.s. UHG.

radiojane Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ChargerBill View Post
    270 killed? You'd barely hear a whisper.

You'd hope, but you'd never know. I've heard people argue vociferously that Sadam Hussien should've been allowed to go free and that prisoners should be allowed to paint their cells happy colors.

ChargerBill Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by radiojane View Post
    You'd hope, but you'd never know. I've heard people argue vociferously that Sadam Hussien should've been allowed to go free and that prisoners should be allowed to paint their cells happy colors.
    What was your response?

radiojane Guest
    What was your response?
    A nice polite version of "Give your head a shake you dumbass". I think I asked the paint lady what she was on.

SO, should Susan Atkins be released just to save money, too? She is dying of cancer, and her "body count" is lower.

I say he never should have marked his first anniversary in prison, and neither should she.

radiojane Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mintgiver View Post
    SO, should Susan Atkins be released just to save money, too? She is dying of cancer, and her "body count" is lower.

I say he never should have marked his first anniversary in prison, and neither should she.

I think Atkins should be punted too. It's really easy to say 'shoot em all', but of course that's never going to happen, and it probably shouldn't. It's also really easy to say lock them up for life, but maybe that isn't always the wisest course of action. just my ever so humble opinion.

I think Atkins should be punted too. It's really easy to say 'shoot em all', but of course that's never going to happen, and it probably shouldn't. It's also really easy to say lock them up for life, but maybe that isn't always the wisest course of action. just my ever so humble opinion.

We should early release all the terminally ill in our prisons and stick them on an island together with lots of cameras. They can make programming garbage and raise money at the same time, all while dying on live TV!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I will be buried in a spring loaded casket filled with confetti, and a future archaeologist will have one awesome day at work."

Quote Originally Posted by Miho View Post
    We should early release all the terminally ill in our prisons and stick them on an island together with lots of cameras. They can make programming garbage and raise money at the same time, all while dying on live TV!!
    "Hi, I'm Julie Chen, and welcome to our special death-row edition of Big Brother!!"

radiojane Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Miho View Post

Now there's an idea.

I'd be all for keeping them in the system if there was anything at all that could be gained from treating them. Use them for medical testing, whatever. I'm for chain gangs and all that shit. Make them somewhat useful to the rest of society.

ChargerBill Guest
    Now there's an idea.

I'd be all for keeping them in the system if there was anything at all that could be gained from treating them. Use them for medical testing, whatever. I'm for chain gangs and all that shit. Make them somewhat useful to the rest of society.
    On that note, Ms. Atkins and Mr. Manson would make a great compost pile

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    On that note, Ms. Atkins and Mr. Manson would make a great compost pile
    I would hate to think of my hanging tomatoes being fertilized by those two. Just kind of takes my appetite away.

ChargerBill Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack-O-Lantern View Post
    I would hate to think of my hanging tomatoes being fertilized by those two. Just kind of takes my appetite away.
    Well gee then, what to do with them

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    Crash test dummies. Yeah....that would work.

ChargerBill Guest
    Crash test dummies. Yeah....that would work.
    Too humane. Can't you think of something else?

radiojane Guest
    Too humane. Can't you think of something else?
    badger food?

drug experiments?

Practice meat to train roadkill removal techs?

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    I've got it. Eyes pinned open (a la 'A Clockwork Orange'), and forced to watch a continuous loop of Rosie O'Donnell sporting her S & M leather outfit in "Exit To Eden." I can think of no worse fate.
    ---
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	exittoeden777.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	24.5 KB 
ID:	15767   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	070419_rosie.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	16.3 KB 
ID:	15768  

Perdi Guest
    I have an update. Scottish Government recalled parliament early after the summer break to debate the release of the bomber. The SNP (the ruling party in Scotland) have been defeated at Holyrood today...all the opposition parties have said that the decision sucked basically! Finally, someone in our Governemnt actually saying what the majority of us Scots are thinking!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/8232734.stm

radiojane Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Perdi View Post
    I have an update. Scottish Government recalled parliament early after the summer break to debate the release of the bomber. The SNP (the ruling party in Scotland) have been defeated at Holyrood today...all the opposition parties have said that the decision sucked basically! Finally, someone in our Governemnt actually saying what the majority of us Scots are thinking!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/8232734.stm

I can't help but thinking that if the assinine FBI moron had kept his thoughts to himself, there wouldn't be such an uproar. I still think it was the right thing to do.

Ted Challinor Guest
    One fact was that early reports - in the newspaper The Independent the next day - stated that HOLLY JOHNSON, lead singer in UK pop band Frankie Goes to Hollywood ("Relax") had died on board...it turned out he was booked to board the fateful flight but cancelled...
    I always find the story of Jaswant Basuta, the man who narrowly escaped boarding and therefore dying on the plane, fascinating. Visiting relatives in Southall, they asked him for one last drink before he left for the US at a Heathrow bar...I think one turned into a few, and although his bags were on board, he ran but missed the flight.
    Of course there was a knock at the door in the middle of the night - police suspected him.

[I vividly remember the moment the news came through on ITN ...it was about 7.30pm, and I was about to take a girlfriend to dinner at the Office Wine Bar in Tonbridge, Kent]

RIP all those involved

I've got it. Eyes pinned open (a la 'A Clockwork Orange'), and forced to watch a continuous loop of Rosie O'Donnell sporting her S & M leather outfit in "Exit To Eden." I can think of no worse fate.
    ---
    Jack, I think you went too far on that one, LOL!!!! Let the fellow blink once an hour so his eyes don't dry out-we wouldn't want him to impair his vision.

burgtwngrl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ichabodius View Post
    No food or water, zero bucks.
    You have a good point

The motherfucker got a standing ovation from African Union reps at his first public appearance.
    http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,...4:b27624044:z0
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

Pat MaGroin Guest

Gaddafi DID personally order Lockerbie bombing

Libya's Gaddafi DID personally order Lockerbie bombing and I have PROOF, claims former Justice minister

Libya's former justice minister claims Colonel Gaddafi personally ordered the Lockerbie bombing which killed 270 people in 1988.

Swedish tabloid Expressen says Mustafa Abdel-Jalil, who has just resigned from his cabinet post in protest at the violent crackdown against anti-government demonstrations, told their correspondent in Libya: 'I have proof that Gaddafi gave the order about Lockerbie.'

He told Expressen Gaddafi gave the order to Abdel Baset al-Megrahi, the only man convicted in the bombing of Pan Am Flight 103 over Lockerbie, which killed all 259 people on board and 11 on the ground.

J'accuse: Libya's former Justice Minister Mustafa Abdel-Jalil, right, accused Col Gaddafi of personally ordering the Lockerbie bombing

'To hide it, he (Gaddafi) did everything in his power to get al-Megrahi back from Scotland,' Abdel-Jalil said.
    Al-Megrahi was granted a compassionate release from a Scottish prison in August 2009 on the grounds that he was suffering from prostate cancer and would die soon. He is still alive.
    The Expressen said its reporter, Kassem Hamade, interviewed the ex-justice minister at 'a local parliament in a large city in Libya.'
    The interview is sure to provoke fury on both sides of the Atlantic, and stoke yet more international pressure on the Libyan leader, who is desperately clinging to power after a popular uprising against his dictatorial rule.

Expressen taped the interview, which was conducted in Arabic and translated to Swedish, the paper's spokesman Alexandra Forslund said.
    Gaddafi has been trying to bring his country out of isolation, announcing in 2003 that he was abandoning his program for weapons of mass destruction and renouncing terrorism.
    Gaddafi also accepted Libya's responsibility for the Lockerbie bombing and paid compensation to the victims' families.

Lockerbie bomber Megrahi, who is a cancer sufferer, was released on compassionate grounds in August 2009 after being given three months to live

But he has not admitted personally giving the order for the attack.
    Most of the victims in the Lockerbie bombing were Americans, and al-Megrahi's release has been criticised by members of the U.S. Congress and the victims' families.
    Bob Monetti, of Cherry Hill, New Jersey, whose 20-year-old son Richard was killed in the bombing, said he's glad to hear a former official say what's been clear to him all along.
    He said officials and the media, especially in the UK, have been denying that.
    'Ever since the trial, which was held in a totally obscure location in Holland and was covered by nobody, there's been a drumbeat in the UK about how this is a trumped up thing and Libya had nothing to do with it,' he said.
    'If you went to the trial, there was no question about who did it and why, and who ordered it.'
    Mr Monetti said.
    'I can't wait until we see pictures of Gaddafi hanging by his heels,' he said.

Earlier this month, extraordinary official documents revealed the last British government did â??all it couldâ?? to have al-Megrahi returned to Libya.
    In the U.S., relatives of victims were appalled, with one saying: â??Iâ??m not sure Britain can sink much lower.â??
    Ministers were accused of â??acting like lawyers for the Libyansâ?? as the unprecedented release of Whitehall papers revealed how the Labour government had a â??game planâ?? and secretly plotted to â??facilitateâ?? an appeal by the Libyans over Megrahi.

They were determined to seal a BP oil deal and strengthen political ties with Libya, a review headed by Cabinet ­Secretary Sir Gus Oâ??Donnell found.

Lockerbie bomber Abdelbaset Ali Mohmet al-Megrahi, left, is greeted by Seif al-Islam, the son of the Libyan leader following his release from prison in 2009

Abdel Baset al-Megrahi arrives back in Libya and is presented to a cheering crowd at the airport in Libya

The damaged aircraft cockpit of Pan Am 103 that exploded killing 270 people
    Sir Gusâ??s report highlighted confidential memos and letters that reveal horse trading between London and Edinburgh linking the fate of Megrahi â?? Britainâ??s worst mass murderer â?? to other issues.

At one stage, ministers apparently ­considered swapping Megrahiâ??s freedom for concessions to the Holyrood government.

These included funding human rights compensation awarded to Scottish prisoners for having been made to â??slop outâ?? and even devolving control of firearms legislation to Edinburgh.
    Soon after he became prime minister, Gordon Brown wrote to Libyan dictator Colonel Muammar Gaddafi promising to â??fulfil all the undertakingsâ?? made by his predecessor Tony Blair, which included a prisoner transfer deal, the documents showed.

Senior Labour Cabinet ministers always denied being involved in any backstairs deals over the release in August 2009, yet a secret Foreign Office memo referred to a â??game planâ?? to facilitate Megrahiâ??s move to Libya.
    Sir Gusâ??s analysis of the papers said: â??Once Megrahi had been diagnosed with terminal cancer in September 2008, (government) policy was based upon an assessment that UK interests would be damaged if Megrahi were to die in a UK jail.â??
    Other letters showed Foreign Office minister Bill Rammell met with his Libyan counterpart and wrote to him advising on how to petition authorities in Scotland for Megrahiâ??s â??compassionate releaseâ??.
    Reporting the findings of Sir Gusâ??s report to the Commons, David Cameron said: â??Insufficient consideration was given to the most basic question of all.
    â??Was it really right for the British government to â??facilitateâ? an appeal by the Libyans to the Scottish government in the case of an individual who was convicted of murdering 270 people, including 43 British citizens and 190 Americans, and 19 other nationalities?
    'That is, for me, the biggest lesson of this entire affair. For my part, I repeat â?? I believe it was profoundly wrong.â??

Disgraceful: Mass-murderer Megrahi climbs aboard a plane to freedom in Glasgow, August 2009

Mr Cameron said he was â??profoundly sorryâ?? for the suffering caused to those who lost relatives in the bombing of Pan Am Flight 103.

The Prime Minister quoted from one Foreign Office paper, dated January 2009: â??We now need to go further and work actively but ­discreetly to ensure that Megrahi is transferred back to Libya under the PTA [prisoner transfer agreement] or failing that released on compassionate grounds.â??

Mr Cameron added: â??Frankly, this tells us something that was not made clear at the time.

â??It goes further than the account that the former prime minister and the former foreign secretary gave. We werenâ??t told about facilitating an appeal, about facilitating contact or game plans.â??
    Former foreign secretary Sir Malcolm Rifkind said it was clear the Labour government â??was up to its neck in this shoddy businessâ??.
    â??It must therefore share responsibility with the Scottish Government for one of the most foolish and shameful decisions of recent years,â?? he said.

Perdi Guest
    23 years ago today. Still feels like it happened yesterday. RIP to the 243 passengers and 16 crew of flight 103, and the 11 townsfolk that lost their lives.

DrDeath Guest
    I'm going to be following the rest of this story with interest. Now that Gadaffi's dead, there's a feeling there's intelligence relating to this atrocity that will finally answer the questions the families have been asking hidden somewhere.

RIP you are not forgotten. Justice will prevail

Quote Originally Posted by DrDeath View Post
    I'm going to be following the rest of this story with interest. Now that Gadaffi's dead, there's a feeling there's intelligence relating to this atrocity that will finally answer the questions the families have been asking hidden somewhere.

RIP you are not forgotten. Justice will prevail
    I dunno. Blair did a deal with Gadaffi; the release of the Lockerbie bomber to facilitate BP's access to oil. I expect MI5 is all over this, reminding the rebels of the assistance provided during the civil war in exchange for skeletons to remain buried, and of course continuing access to oil. True, Cameron is in office, but I don't think he will want to stir things up.
    Ed Miliband will be hoping so.
    Last edited by neilmpenny; 12-22-2011 at 03:36 AM. Reason: Comma
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

Heart and Soul Guest
    Is he dead yet? If not, it's been the longest 3-month-survival chance I've ever seen.

AnnieSexton Guest
    I remember I was wrapping gifts when news of the bombing came on TV. So sad.

DrDeath Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Heart and Soul View Post
    Is he dead yet? If not, it's been the longest 3-month-survival chance I've ever seen.
    I forgot to add that bit. They show the odd video of him looking like he's at death's door. It reminds me of when one rings work pretending to be sick with fake cough and sneezes

"Lockerbie bomber dies more than two years after release"

http://www.cnn.com/2012/05/20/world/africa/obit-lockerbie-bomber/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

deathhaghun Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by snowblindburd View Post

I wonder if the families will feel they have closure. A lot of them were angry that he was released in the first place.

Mammy Guest
    It's about fucking time! I hope he is roasting in the bowels of hell as we speak. I've never quite grasped the concept of a "compassionate release" for a terrorist who had no mercy or compassion for anyone. I'm more of a "you reap what you sow" kinda gal.

Too bad he didnt die after falling 30,000 feet while on fire.
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

Mammy Guest
    I agree 100%! Hopefully, he is doing that now.

pwem Guest
    Amen.

Quote Originally Posted by MissJames View Post
    I found that pic of the poor woman hanging from the roof still in her chair....

http://www.panamair.org/accidents/lockerbiedebris.htm

won't put the pic up..but will give the link for those who want to see...
    Seems odd that a body would be completely intact and fully clothed after falling 31,000 feet in a plane that was travelling over 600 mph.

Very recent news story about the storage of the planes wreckage:
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...ctured-2954354

In addition to Johnny Rotten The Four Tops Kim Cattrall Mats Wilander and Ed Stasium were also booked on the flight but did not board.

Oh yeah it was the 25th anniversary two days ago.

Wow, its hard to believe that the remnants from the jet are still in a pile. I would love to see that. RIP to all involved. Completely senseless tragedy. Glad Gadaffi finally got what he deserved too.

What will always be astounding to me is the half foreward fuselage of the aircraft lying on its side in a field. It is one of several iconic images of my lifetime.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

Mammy Guest
    Seems odd that a body would be completely intact and fully clothed after falling 31,000 feet in a plane that was travelling over 600 mph.

Very recent news story about the storage of the planes wreckage:
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...ctured-2954354

In addition to Johnny Rotten The Four Tops Kim Cattrall Mats Wilander and Ed Stasium were also booked on the flight but did not board.

Oh yeah it was the 25th anniversary two days ago.
    I'm amazed that all of the wreckage still exists! The article said it had to be kept until the investigation was over. What do they expect to find after 25 years? I have a hard time believing anyone is doing any investigating on that mangled heap.

The motherfucker got a standing ovation from African Union reps at his first public appearance.
    http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,...4:b27624044:z0
    How true. that pissed me off the most.
    (someone who was born in Scotland)
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

I dredged this back up because I picked up the book "The Boy Who Fell from the Sky" by Ken Dorstein, whose brother was killed on the flight. PBS's Frontline series did a three hour series called 'My Brother's Bomber', which was excellent. It was astonishing how far the plan to commit the bombing went. I highly recommend it!

Trailer
    https://youtu.be/gVqO-hDaIhA

http:// http://www.pbs.org/video/2365566570/
    Last edited by Nessa; 03-01-2016 at 01:24 AM.

This reminds me of what happened over North Park San Diego, when PSA flight 182 crashed with another plane and parts and bodies rained down, I still need to get my butt up and walk to Dwight and Nile to take pictures and put some flowers down. However in this case it was a bomb and not another plane, but reading about plane parts and bodies raining down made me think of PSA 182

I remember this happening. I was seven years old at the time and as it was a Sunday night, me, my little sister, mum and dad had just finished our tea and were watching the television when the program stopped and the news came on saying something big had happened but they assumed it was an explosion. During the night, things started to become more clear but it wasn't until the next morning that it became obvious what had happened and just how devastating it truly was.

Because I am from Scotland, most of the TV programs were shunted for obvious reasons and there were updates all the time and every bit just got worse and more upsetting to watch. That's why when Megrahi? was released on compassionate grounds, it sickened nearly everyone. He had no compassion knowing all those people were going to die yet when he arrived home, he was treated like a hero.

I read the report and noticed something that maybe is public knowledge but I never knew about. Down in the Medical section they said ten bodies were not found at the time. The remains of people around them were located but they were not. Does anyone know if they were ever recovered?

Quote Originally Posted by pkstracy View Post
    This reminds me of what happened over North Park San Diego, when PSA flight 182 crashed with another plane and parts and bodies rained down, I still need to get my butt up and walk to Dwight and Nile to take pictures and put some flowers down. However in this case it was a bomb and not another plane, but reading about plane parts and bodies raining down made me think of PSA 182
    I don't know if you have heard of Air Crash Investigation/Mayday that is shown on Nat Geo but there is an episode about the 182 crash and it's really good. It's S11-8 and is called Blind Spot and after watching it, I kinda became obsessed for a while trying to find out everything I could on the accident and read many blogs and forums about it. A lot of the people sent to deal with it said it was the worst they had ever seen and I have to agree as one or two sites go into great detail and not one body was left intact. The ACI episode gives a lot of detail but like always some things were left out which I found looking around. There is a page on the PSA site which remembers all the victims as well as those who died in 1987 when an ex PSA employee shot the pilots when the plane was in the air causing the plane to crash if anyone is interested.

Mangled remains of Lockerbie plane lie forgotten in a British scrapyard

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...scrapyard.html

For anyone who is interested in the subject, C5 here in the UK have shown a documentary called Lockerbie : The Unheard Voices. It has interviews with people who have never talked about it publicly as well as relatives of those who died. There is also a few interviews with people who were supposed to be on the plane but didn't make it for one or other reason.

There is no eye opening revelations about the crash itself but it is upsetting to hear some of the stories including the parents of Flora Swire who admit her father only believed it was her because of a mole on one of her toes.

https://www.my5.tv/lockerbie-the-unh...unheard-voices

If you can't get it on C5, YT has it as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEfiILBvmq0

Quote Originally Posted by Skeletor View Post
    One of the things that came out at the inquest was that some of the passengers had fallen out of the aircraft still strapped to their seats
    near to where the bomb had gone off and the question was asked would they be aware of what was happening to them as they started falling to earth and the answer was that yes they would for a brief period. I hate heights and that sent a shiver down my spine. There were also a number of sick jokes about it at the time as there always seem to be and dare I admit it - one or two of them were quite funny despite the horror of it all.
    I was doing some reading on this today: there were two people who were found alive but help did not arrive in time. One of them was a flight attendant. Not sure about the other person.

The crew on the flight deck were all still buckled in. This happened so fast that the crew didn't have time to initiate emergency checklists.

There was another thread here on FAD about aviation *cough*Jo3sph*cough*, and we did discuss whether or not the passengers were aware of what was happening. Passengers might be conscious but in a different state.
    In Loving Memory of Timothy Houdek, October 22, 1969 - January 8, 2013

My awesome dad: Harry Houdek, September 8, 1933 - November 20, 2013

Words can't convey how much I miss you both. RIP with love.

30 years ago.