Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NBA and College Basketball

NBA and College Basketball

Kentucky. maybe this should be in Other Deaths in the News"?
    Last edited by midnitelamp; 11-15-2008 at 08:16 AM.
    Knowlege Comes With Deaths release

Heaven's on the pillow,it's Silence competes with Hell

"If you don't go to other peoples' funerals,they won't come to yours."-Yogi Berra

NBA and College Basketball

We've not had a thread for hoops, like we have for NFL, NHL, MLB, etc. Probably not as many fans, I happen to love my Sixers and I'm sure there are others who follow the NBA. But thought I'd include the college hoops as well since more people seem to follow that. There, I have my Delaware Blue Hens.

So, I need to vent. They fired Mo Cheeks today!!!! I love him, but they are seriously treating the news like he's dead on the CSN. lol.

But in all reality I think their problems lie deeper than the coach. Anyone?

((This thread will probably die immediately.))

pvezz Guest
    Sorry, Barb, this is one of the ONLY sports I don't watch!

lol - yeah I have no life.

It was one of those things Dad got me into since he was from Indiana.

So you've got me following hockey now, maybe you can check in on the hoops thread once in awhile. Does Pittsburgh even have a basketball team?

stinkythejokedog Guest
    Go Suns...saw them beat the Magic at America West Arena last night in PHX...nail biter

pvezz Guest
    I noticed you've been on the hockey thread and am pleasantly surprised! Actually, we DON'T have a b-ball team. I think we did at one time, but no one ever went to the games......lol....

I will occasionally watch March Madness, but that's pretty much it.

Somewhere twixt San Antonio & Corpus Christi
    I don't watch basketball Barb, but I was sorry to hear of Mo Cheeks firing...no matter the man does the rest of his life I will always remember him for this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4880PJnO2E
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

American Progress

fultondyke Guest
    I LOOOOVE basketball!!! One of the things I would truly love to see (but I know I never will see...) is a for The University of Alabama to win a NCAA Championship in basketball!!! Our coach--Mark Gottfried is a good guy, he's an alum, and he is comitted to getting the Tide players to graduate--which is a really great and admirable thing...However, when it comes to the actual game playing and coaching, I don't know if any coach has done less with more talent! Again, I really do respect coach Gottfried as he has helped these kids become young men, and he has helped ensure their future success by emphasizing the importance of achieving their college degrees...I just wish we could as much success ON the court as we do OFF the court!

Quote Originally Posted by Ima Sikfuk View Post
    I don't watch basketball Barb, but I was sorry to hear of Mo Cheeks firing...no matter the man does the rest of his life I will always remember him for this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4880PJnO2E

That was awesome, wasn't it??? I cry when I see that replayed. I think that's what is so hard about his firing, everyone loves the man. Some other team will snatch him up, no doubt!

Quote Originally Posted by fultondyke View Post
    I LOOOOVE basketball!!! One of the things I would truly love to see (but I know I never will see...) is a for The University of Alabama to win a NCAA Championship in basketball!!! Our coach--Mark Gottfried is a good guy, he's an alum, and he is comitted to getting the Tide players to graduate--which is a really great and admirable thing...However, when it comes to the actual game playing and coaching, I don't know if any coach has done less with more talent! Again, I really do respect coach Gottfried as he has helped these kids become young men, and he has helped ensure their future success by emphasizing the importance of achieving their college degrees...I just wish we could as much success ON the court as we do OFF the court!
    I'm gonna have to check out some of the Alabama basketball this season. I love to see coaches who truly care about their kids. Success will come...eventually!

DOA Guest
    They always use the coach as the scapegoat. Ridiculous.

I'm a Laker fan but I'll be truthful and admit that I think they're still too soft to win the title.

Quote Originally Posted by DOA View Post
    They always use the coach as the scapegoat. Ridiculous.

I'm a Laker fan but I'll be truthful and admit that I think they're still too soft to win the title.
    Yep they do.

That must be hard for a Laker fan, you guys are used to winning! Speaking of winning, the Sixers did win tonight. Elton Brand had his best game since he joined the team.

DOA Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Philliefan View Post
    Yep they do.

That must be hard for a Laker fan, you guys are used to winning! Speaking of winning, the Sixers did win tonight. Elton Brand had his best game since he joined the team.
    I still get pissed when I see or hear the Celtics. Congrats on the win tonight. Nobody knows to this day how or why Brand signed with the Sixers since he did promise Baron Davis that they would play together for the Clippers. lol.

I do miss the days of Shaq and Kobe but I was actually relieved when they traded Shaq because the drama just became soooo tired.

And Memo to Dallas Cowboys: You're not allowed to have drama unless you've actually won a playoff game!

Sixers have won seven straight - back at .500. Iguodala has been hitting some key shots and lighting a spark under their asses.

DOA - what kind of year is Kobe having? I've been wrapped up in football and hockey - haven't caught too many games.

15. 01-18-2009, 09:07 AM

fultondyke Guest
    By BETH RUCKER, Associated Press Writer
    3 hours, 19 minutes ago

Printable View
    Return to Original Buzz up! Print
    Tennessee's Tyler Smith (1â?¦

AP - Mar 8, 1:30 pm EDT NCAAB Gallery KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (AP)â??Anthony Brockâ??s desperation 3-pointer at the buzzer lifted Alabama to a 70-67 upset of Tennessee on Sunday.

Brockâ??s only basket of the second half broke a 67-67 tie following a jumper by Alabamaâ??s (17-13, 7-9 Southeastern Conference) Alonzo Gee from the free-throw line with 1:15 to play.

Brock, who drove all night to get to Knoxville after attending his grandmotherâ??s funeral, hit the game-winning shot as he tripped at the top of the key following an Alabama timeout.

Tennessee (19-11, 10-6) took a 67-65 lead on a fastbreak dunk by Scotty Hopson with 1:43 left.

Senario Hillman led Alabama with 16 points, Mikhail Torrance added 12 points and Brock finished with 11. JaMychal Green grabbed 10 rebounds.

Wayne Chism led Tennessee with 13 points and 10 rebounds, Smith added 11 and Maze finished with 10 points.

ROLL TIDE!!!

Love a story like that - good for Tide and Brock!

Mrs. James Dean Guest
    It's hard to get excited or even care about the NBA when your team sucks monkey balls and have the worst record in the NBA right now.

I get into it when the playoffs start though! I enjoy rooting against the Lakers!

Sixers are saying farewell to the Spectrum tonight with a game against the Bulls. They haven't played there for a number of years, but are having one final game before the demolish the place. The have Dr. J, Moses Malone, Mo Cheeks and a bunch of other old players there. Kinda fun. That place needs to be imploded though...back in the late 70's we called it the 'rectum', I saw a lot of concerts there and a couple b-ball games.

Oh yay! March Madness has arrived! Any thoughts??

WriterDude Guest
    Oh yay! March Madness has arrived! Any thoughts??
    My thought is that it's been a long time -- 1993? -- since Missouri was good enough to be there. I don't think they've ever been as high as a 3 seed, so with first-round games happening in KC, they got shipped west to Boise. I wonder how many crystal balls and pointy purple hats are actually used in the selection "process".

I could use one of those crystal balls to locate my old Mizzou shirt -- can't find the damn thing anywhere.

MorbidMolly Guest
    One thought

Quote Originally Posted by MorbidMolly View Post
    One thought

What the hell is that?

MorbidMolly Guest
    What the hell is that?
    Phillie !!!!!!!!!!!!!! It`s a Jayhawk......and it`s mean....grrrrrrrrr

Not as mean as my Fightin' Blue Hen - Youdee! (UD, University of Delaware) lol!

WriterDude Guest
    But Molly, you forgot that Tigers are meaner :

WriterDude Guest
    Molly, let's hope for another one of these in the Final Four. That'll not only be entertaining but also guarantee a Big 12 team in the championship game:

MorbidMolly Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by WriterDude View Post
    Molly, let's hope for another one of these in the Final Four. That'll not only be entertaining but also guarantee a Big 12 team in the championship game:

Always a hard one for me when that happens....spent 8 years in Mizzou growing up.....but a Kansas girl through and through....( still pissed at Roy Williams....I know, but there it is )

MorbidMolly Guest
    Wake Forest has gone bye bye....too bad, so sad

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketb...d=200903200628

woooohooo Purdue!!!!

More Cheese Please Guest

cubbiecatz Guest
    Go Oklahoma:

The Sprint Center crowd went bananas when Griffin flexed his muscles after the slam – and things really got loud about 10 minutes later, when the final horn sounded in Oklahoma’s 73-63 victory.
    For the first time since 2003, Oklahoma is back in the Sweet 16, and for that it can thank Griffin, whose 33-point, 17-rebound effort against Michigan on Saturday was just more of the same for a player who has been on a different level all season.

WriterDude Guest
    Yay, Mizzou! On to the Sweet 16!

Some good games, huh? I love March madness!

MorbidMolly Guest
    rock chalk baby...........goooooooooo kuuuuuuuuuu

pvezz Guest
    I don't know a damn thing about basketball, but I did watch Pitt beat Xavier last night. They won by the skin of their teeth!

lol - I was only interested in the 'nova game last night! They beat Duke! yay!

I'm watching Syracuse get their butts wooped - I picked them to take it all in one of my brackets...oh well, there goes that 5 bucks. They've got 6 minutes to make up a 16 point deficit.

Whoa 'nova!!!!! Sorry Paula! I actually had Pitt to take it all in my bracket so that sucks. But glad to see 'nova pull it off!

MorbidMolly Guest
    Whoa 'nova!!!!! Sorry Paula! I actually had Pitt to take it all in my bracket so that sucks. But glad to see 'nova pull it off!
    Hell of a game...peeps won some money in Vegas on this one.....damn

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketb...d=200903280465

vandal Guest
    Did you see my boys tonight?!? Im pretty psyched about the final four but kinda nervous about either UNC or Oklahoma, neither one seems like a good choice!

villanova

That Villanova game was a nail biter.
    I live near the campus and the kids are going crazy.
    I say they got what it takes
    I shall die, but that is all that I shall do for Death; I am not on his pay-roll.

Edna St. Vincent Millay

vandal Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by coconn04 View Post
    That Villanova game was a nail biter.
    I live near the campus and the kids are going crazy.
    I say they got what it takes
    They look like they may be peaking at just the right time, Im down there every tuesday and thursday nights working on my masters.

WriterDude Guest
    Mizzou pushed UConn pretty well. The Prez did not see them getting past Memphis in his bracket. Nice return to the dance, Tigers!

Whoa - anyone watching MS vs. UConn?

MorbidMolly Guest
    Whoa - anyone watching MS vs. UConn?
    Nope...I`m still crushed over KU...* sniff *

Aw, so sorry. I'm looking forward to the next game...would love to see Nova take it all.

MorbidMolly Guest
    Aw, so sorry. I'm looking forward to the next game...would love to see Nova take it all.

Their my pic sweetie....

WriterDude Guest
    Time to resurrect this thread. In fact I meant to last night when the Nuggets knocked off the Dallas Mavericks in the semi-finals, but the beer -- I mean, chores -- got in the way.

Only one time have the Nuggets made it this far: 1985, where they lost to the eventual NBA champion Lakers, who had all their stars in play, including Hall of Famers Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and Magic Johnson. The Nuggets, however, had lost their only star, Alex English, to injury.

How things have changed in 24 years. Last year's Western Conference Champion Lakers are seriously suffering from lack-of-focus issues, and find they have their hands full with a scrappy Houston Rockets team playing without their star center, Yao Ming, who broke a bone in his foot. They face off in Game 6 tonight in Houston, with the Lakers up 3-2.

Meantime the Nuggets are healthy and riding high, having squelched a long streak of Denver teams losing to Dallas teams in the postseason, which spanned three sports dating back to Super Bowl XII. And should the Rockets prevail in their series, the Nuggets will have home court advantage in the conference finals.

Whichever way that series goes, many pundits are picking a Nuggets/Cavaliers Finals, and no one's laughing. Good time to be a roundball fan in these parts!

Hobbes12 Guest
    Portland Trail Blazers
    Oregon Ducks
    Oregon State Beavers

WriterDude Guest
    Game one of the Western Conference Finals is underway -- am I the only one here paying attention?