Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 135

Thread: Jack Benny

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    131

    Jack Benny

    I loved Jack Benny. His timing, his dead-pan humor--the colorful characters he surrounded himself with in his shows--to me this guy is classic and genuinely funny.



    I can just look at him and know something funny is about to be said. My fav joke he told was along these lines:

    "I was at the club and decided to take a swim. I got on the diving board, made my approach and jumped. As I was jumping the lifeguard called out, "It will cost you 50 cents to jump off that board.'

    "How I stopped in midair I'll never know!"

    The Christmas program he did when he was shopping for his cast was hillarious. Any thoughts on this funny guy?
    Last edited by dbrian; 11-01-2007 at 08:51 AM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Putnam CT USA
    Posts
    680
    Quote Originally Posted by dbrian View Post

    The Christmas program he did when he was shopping for his cast was hillarious.
    Do you mean the one where he drove Mel Blanc crazy, changing the note in a gift? I love Jack.
    Take care,
    Harry

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    131
    Harry--

    Yes that's the one. The guy ends up blowing his brains out! And remember they guy with the lingerie--with the voice of the walrus from Tennessee Tuxedo cartoons. Remember Rochester shopping for him in the same store, and the salesman is trying to help him out:

    Salesman: "Well what sort of man is he--a sportsman?"
    Rochester: "No."
    Salesman: "The intellectual type?"
    Rochester: "No."
    Salesman: "The playboy?"
    Rochester: "NO!"
    Salesman: "Well I'm afraid there isnt much left."
    Rochester" "That's him."

    Benny lived right next door to Lucy, I believe. Those were the days...

  4. #4
    Loved Jack.

    On the old Steve Allen show in the late 50's, Steve announced they were going to reveal the identity of John Beresford Tipton, the man who gave away One Million Dollars each week on the drama "The Millionaire."

    Steve turned the wing chair around and there sat Jack Benny. The audience exploded, Jack did his shrug and never said a word....and they laughed even harder. I am still laughing almost 50 years later.....

    "I'm thinking....I'm thinking......"

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Utah, How f'ing exciting is that.
    Posts
    6,392
    Robber-"look bud your money or your life?"

    Robber-"Well..."

    Robber-"look, your money of your life?"

    Jack Benny- "I'm thinking it over!!"

    Classic cheapskate Benny!!!

    And when he goes into the vault to get money..Love it!!
    Last edited by Danny62; 11-01-2007 at 11:06 AM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    ethernet--aka seattle based
    Posts
    2,801
    How about this one, Rochester answers the phone and goes 'Uh huh. I'll get it Tuesday'
    Jack 'Who was that'
    Rochester, 'The laundromat'
    Jack 'And?'
    Rochester ' Your suits and your hair are ready to be picked up.'

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    960
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaynrand View Post
    Loved Jack.

    On the old Steve Allen show in the late 50's, Steve announced they were going to reveal the identity of John Beresford Tipton, the man who gave away One Million Dollars each week on the drama "The Millionaire."

    Steve turned the wing chair around and there sat Jack Benny. The audience exploded, Jack did his shrug and never said a word....and they laughed even harder. I am still laughing almost 50 years later.....

    "I'm thinking....I'm thinking......"
    Oh, that's delightful. Someday, someone's going to get the wise idea to create a cable channel replaying all those old shows...

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,232

    Thumbs down um....NO!

    Quote Originally Posted by dbrian View Post
    I loved Jack Benny. His timing, his dead-pan humor--the colorful characters he surrounded himself with in his shows
    that show was the most racist thing I remember seeing as a kid. poor Rochester talking like a total whipping boy...ugh. i'm sorry, I don't see how THAT was funny.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    75
    ugh. i'm sorry, I don't see how THAT was funny.

    Don't be a douchebag. Eddie 'Rochester' Anderson made a great living.

    Jack was a comedian's comedian. All the greats stole Jack's mannerisms.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    320

    um yes!

    Quote Originally Posted by Death Hag Chris View Post
    that show was the most racist thing I remember seeing as a kid. poor Rochester talking like a total whipping boy...ugh. i'm sorry, I don't see how THAT was funny.
    How about buying yourself a clue, before you bring your PC Crap into a conversation?

    Here's just a sample of reality:

    And that was itself a radical proposition for the era: unlike the protagonists of Amos 'n' Andy, Rochester was a black man allowed to one-up his vain, skinflint boss. In more ways than one, with his mock-befuddled one-liners and his sharp retorts, he broke a barrier down for his race. Unlike many black supporting characters of the time, Rochester was depicted and treated as a regular member of Benny's fictional household. Benny, in character, tended if anything to treat Rochester more like an equal partner than as a hired domestic, even though gags about Rochester's flimsy salary were a regular part of the show. (Frederick W. Slater, newsman of St. Joseph, Missouri, recalled when Benny and his staff stayed at the restricted Robidioux Hotel during their visit to that town. When the desk staff told Benny that "Rochester" could not stay at the hotel, Benny replied, "If he doesn't stay here, neither do I." The hotel's staff eventually relented.) Rochester seemed to see right through his boss's vanities and knew how to prick them without overdoing it. Benny deserves credit for allowing this character and the actor who played him (it is difficult, if not impossible, to picture any other performer giving Rochester what Anderson gave him) to transcend the era's racial stereotype and for not discouraging his near-equal popularity. A New Year's Eve episode, in particular, shows the love each performer had for the other, quietly toasting each other with champagne. That this attention to Rochester's race was no accident became clearer during World War II, when Benny would frequently pay tribute to the diversity of Americans who had been drafted into service. In fact Benny made a conscious effort after the war, once the depths of Nazi race hatred had been revealed, to remove the most stereotypical aspects of Rochester's character. He also often gave key guest-star appearances to African-American performers such as Louis Armstrong.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Over at the Frankenstein Place
    Posts
    526
    Quote Originally Posted by Death Hag Chris View Post
    that show was the most racist thing I remember seeing as a kid. poor Rochester talking like a total whipping boy...ugh. i'm sorry, I don't see how THAT was funny.
    I suppose with anything that long gone it's bound to look pretty dated in a lot of ways. He was still basically a pretty unique, talented comedian.
    I'm not evil - I'm just drawn that way!

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,232
    Quote Originally Posted by blair View Post
    ugh. i'm sorry, I don't see how THAT was funny.

    Don't be a douchebag. Eddie 'Rochester' Anderson made a great living.

    Jack was a comedian's comedian. All the greats stole Jack's mannerisms.
    so, having an opinion that differs from your's makes me a "douchebag", huh? if you say so.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,232
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottyMonger View Post
    How about buying yourself a clue, before you bring your PC Crap into a conversation?
    why don't you buy me one, rich boy.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    4,484
    I remember Johnny Carson crying on tv when he talked out Jack Benny
    who at the time just died.
    He was that upset.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    75
    so, having an opinion that differs from your's makes me a "douchebag", huh?

    Nah...your 342 posts on this forum make you a douchebag and a waste of java space.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    320
    Quote Originally Posted by Death Hag Chris View Post
    why don't you buy me one, rich boy.

    I'm obviously not rich enough to afford THAT big of a clue.

    BTW, there's a difference between having an opinion, and not having a clue as to what your talking about.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,232
    Quote Originally Posted by blair View Post
    so, having an opinion that differs from your's makes me a "douchebag", huh?

    Nah...your 342 posts on this forum make you a douchebag and a waste of java space.
    hahaha. keep it coming tough guy.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,232
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottyMonger View Post
    I'm obviously not rich enough to afford THAT big of a clue.
    too bad. I was hoping for an early x-mas gift from you.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    The Holy Land (Texas)
    Posts
    5,096
    Vaudeville produced most of the greatest comedians of all time...Benny, Burns, Fields, Marx Bros, the Stooges, Abbott & Costello, Martin & Lewis, Laurel & Hardy...the list goes on...ain't been the same since.
    The Strange Case Of The Missing Corpse
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-GmH8eFJFU

    Mrs. Peel (commenting on Steed's sword): "That looks a bit droopy." Steed: "Wait until it's challenged."

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    ethernet--aka seattle based
    Posts
    2,801
    Quote Originally Posted by Death Hag Chris View Post
    that show was the most racist thing I remember seeing as a kid. poor Rochester talking like a total whipping boy...ugh. i'm sorry, I don't see how THAT was funny.
    Watch a few of the Benny shows. You'll see some things that at the time were not common ie the black character one upping the white character.
    You'll also see some stereotypical humor that will make you cringe a bit what with the 'Yessuh Boss.' But we are talking something that was performed 50-60 plus years ago. Don't you think people in the 2050's will be looking at what we thought was funny and applying a different lens. (Hell, ever wonder why sitcom based in NY city such as Friends/Seinfeld never had african american or latino main characters?)
    The key is that Benny treated Rochester with respect and dignity. Sometimes Benny had the upper hand and sometimes Rochester had the upper hand. Eddie Anderson made a handsome living and didn't resort to a Stephen Fetchit character.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,232
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny View Post
    Watch a few of the Benny shows. You'll see some things that at the time were not common ie the black character one upping the white character.
    You'll also see some stereotypical humor that will make you cringe a bit what with the 'Yessuh Boss.' But we are talking something that was performed 50-60 plus years ago. Don't you think people in the 2050's will be looking at what we thought was funny and applying a different lens. (Hell, ever wonder why sitcom based in NY city such as Friends/Seinfeld never had african american or latino main characters?)
    The key is that Benny treated Rochester with respect and dignity. Sometimes Benny had the upper hand and sometimes Rochester had the upper hand. Eddie Anderson made a handsome living and didn't resort to a Stephen Fetchit character.
    in the end we all have different opinions. I appreciate you at least explaining your point of view without name calling like those 2 did. you have my respect Johnny.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    320
    Quote Originally Posted by Death Hag Chris View Post
    in the end we all have different opinions. I appreciate you at least explaining your point of view without name calling like those 2 did. you have my respect Johnny.
    Hmm, I don't recall calling you any names.

    In the end, you have stated your opinion without providing any facts to back it up. If you do some research, you will find that the majority of facts do not support your opinion: "that show was the most racist thing I remember seeing as a kid, poor Rochester talking like a total whipping boy... ".


    For example:

    The Jack Benny Show further crossed boundaries by being the only program for decades that consistently portrayed Americans of mixed races living and working side by side. Jack Benny's ever-present butler/valet/nanny, Rochester (portrayed by Eddie Anderson), had first appeared on the Benny radio program as a Pullman porter but had pleased audiences so universally that he moved into Benny's fictional household. Unlike the popular African-American radio characters Amos and Andy, Rochester was portrayed by a Black actor, Eddie Anderson, rather than a white actor in blackface.

    Rochester's characterization was not devoid of racism. As Benny's employee he was, after all, always in a nominally subservient position. Nevertheless, neither Rochester nor his relationship with his employer was defined or limited by race. Like the other characters on the program, Rochester viewed Benny with slightly condescending affection--and frequently got the better of his employer in arguments that were obviously battles between peers. He was, in fact, the closest thing the Benny character had to either a spouse or a best friend.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,232
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottyMonger View Post
    Hmm, I don't recall calling you any names.

    In the end, you have stated your opinion without providing any facts to back it up. If you do some research, you will find that the majority of facts do not support your opinion: "that show was the most racist thing I remember seeing as a kid, poor Rochester talking like a total whipping boy... ".


    For example:

    The Jack Benny Show further crossed boundaries by being the only program for decades that consistently portrayed Americans of mixed races living and working side by side. Jack Benny's ever-present butler/valet/nanny, Rochester (portrayed by Eddie Anderson), had first appeared on the Benny radio program as a Pullman porter but had pleased audiences so universally that he moved into Benny's fictional household. Unlike the popular African-American radio characters Amos and Andy, Rochester was portrayed by a Black actor, Eddie Anderson, rather than a white actor in blackface.

    Rochester's characterization was not devoid of racism. As Benny's employee he was, after all, always in a nominally subservient position. Nevertheless, neither Rochester nor his relationship with his employer was defined or limited by race. Like the other characters on the program, Rochester viewed Benny with slightly condescending affection--and frequently got the better of his employer in arguments that were obviously battles between peers. He was, in fact, the closest thing the Benny character had to either a spouse or a best friend.
    whatever you say there Scottster.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    320
    Quote Originally Posted by Death Hag Chris View Post
    whatever you say there Scottster.
    Your debating skills are impressive. I continue to provide evidence, while you continue to provide none.

    take care, Chrisster.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,232
    provide all the evidence you want. the fact is I find "yessa boss" racist. African Americans DON'T talk like that. if YOU wanna defend it, fine. have at it. I have my point of view, and I am happy with it. if you feel the need to insult people who disagree with you, fine also. but in the end you're the one looking like a fool, not me. have a WONDERFUL day Scottster.

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    131
    Chris--

    Too bad you remember it that way. There were several stereotypes on that show--and THAT was what made it funny. Dennis Day--the simple-minded Irishman; Don Wilson--the fat guy announcer; Rochester--the black but smarter-than-his-boss manservant--not to mention all the characters Mel Blanc created which were stereotypes.

    The fact is that stereotypes are funny because they make fun of and exaggerate people. I cant imagine the show succeeding without the ability of people to laugh at themselves--not to mention all the way to the bank.

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,232
    Quote Originally Posted by dbrian View Post
    Chris--

    Too bad you remember it that way. There were several stereotypes on that show--and THAT was what made it funny. Dennis Day--the simple-minded Irishman; Don Wilson--the fat guy announcer; Rochester--the black but smarter-than-his-boss manservant--not to mention all the characters Mel Blanc created which were stereotypes.

    The fact is that stereotypes are funny because they make fun of and exaggerate people. I cant imagine the show succeeding without the ability of people to laugh at themselves--not to mention all the way to the bank.
    well, I haven't seen it in YEARS. but I just thought as a young man that the whole lingo was...well, not so nice. kinda like that Amos & Andy crap. and again, it's my opinion. I just don't see why 2 people need to be so hostile about having an opinion that differs.

  28. #28
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    320
    Quote Originally Posted by Death Hag Chris View Post
    well, I haven't seen it in YEARS. but I just thought as a young man that the whole lingo was...well, not so nice. kinda like that Amos & Andy crap. and again, it's my opinion. I just don't see why 2 people need to be so hostile about having an opinion that differs.
    You are the hostile and defensive one, who can't support his childhood memories with factual evidence, yet you felt comfortable calling Jack Benny a racist!

    Based on the above post, it looks like you are starting to realize that your opinion is based on fuzzy memories and not facts, so there may be hope for you yet.

    Have a SUPER Wonderful day Chrisster!

  29. #29
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,232
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottyMonger View Post
    You are the hostile and defensive one, who can't support his childhood memories with factual evidence, yet you felt comfortable calling Jack Benny a racist!

    Based on the above post, it looks like you are starting to realize that your opinion is based on fuzzy memories and not facts, so there may be hope for you yet.

    Have a SUPER Wonderful day Chrisster!
    instead of running away Scotty, why don't you SHOW ME where I said "Jack Benny" was racist? talk about not getting the facts straight.

  30. #30
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    320
    Quote Originally Posted by Death Hag Chris View Post
    instead of running away Scotty, why don't you SHOW ME where I said "Jack Benny" was racist? talk about not getting the facts straight.

    [SIZE=3]Look, your having a bad day. We all have them. However, your continued defensiveness only serves to put you in a deeper hole.[/SIZE]

    [SIZE=3]You said this: "[SIZE=2]that show was the most racist thing I remember seeing as a kid. poor Rochester talking like a total whipping boy...ugh. i'm sorry, I don't see how THAT was funny."[/SIZE][/SIZE]

    [SIZE=3]You are in fact talking about the JACK BENNY SHOW, right?[/SIZE]

    [SIZE=3]You know, the same JACK BENNY SHOW that was originally on radio and then moved to television?[/SIZE]

    [SIZE=3]The same JACK BENNY SHOW that stars JACK BENNY?[/SIZE]

    [SIZE=3]The same JACK BENNY SHOW that JACK BENNY was involved in every aspect of?[/SIZE]


    [SIZE=3]Apparently, you are now saying that the JACK BENNY SHOW was racist, but that you never said that JACK BENNY was racist?[/SIZE]

    [SIZE=3]See what I mean about digging yourself a deeper hole? [/SIZE]

    [SIZE=3]Anyway, there has got to be at least 1 piece of evidence to support your OPINION! Maybe if you did some research you could find it and we could have a real debate and come to a conclusion as to whether he was racist or not.[/SIZE]

    [SIZE=3]Until you do that, AND I’M NOT HOLDING MY BREATH, you are content to post sophomoric comments simply because you got your feelings hurt when I had the audacity to challenge your unsubstantiated OPINION. It’s not even about JACK BENNY anymore, as for as you are concerned. It’s about your bruised ego.[/SIZE]


    [SIZE=3]BTW, I won’t be “running away” from anything, so you can save your arrogant comments for someone who really values your OPINION.[/SIZE]
    Last edited by ScottyMonger; 11-01-2007 at 04:40 PM.

  31. #31
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    131
    Did you ever catch Benny in "To Be or Not to Be?"--way before the recent remake. Directed by Ernst Lubitsch (1942). It was not only a great film but a definite jab in the eye of the Nazis for their anti-semitism. No racial probs here, I think.

  32. #32
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    320
    Quote Originally Posted by dbrian View Post
    Did you ever catch Benny in "To Be or Not to Be?"--way before the recent remake. Directed by Ernst Lubitsch (1942). It was not only a great film but a definite jab in the eye of the Nazis for their anti-semitism. No racial probs here, I think.
    Yes, that's a classic. I think there are some clips on youtube from that flick. Jack Benny was born "Benjamin Kubelsky" and had no problem making light-hearted fun of himself and jewish stereotypes, such as being a spendthrift. By the same token, he recognized the racist oppression that the Nazi regime represented, and was great at making fun of them.

    Here's another classic from the TV show.

    [SIZE=2]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LItvNnwOk4[/SIZE]

  33. #33
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Middle Earth
    Posts
    12,896
    Kelsey Grammer does occasionally pays homage to Jack.When he does that dead pan side look, he kinda looks like him.

  34. #34
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Sacramento
    Posts
    68

    Wow, our first board fight!

    He he, I watch old Hollywood movies and TV expecting to see signs of blatant racicism and am always surpirsed not to find it. It seems to me that Hollywood led the movement to make blacks equal. On the Little Rascals the black character was just a kid. Imitation of Life was really a heart wrenching expose on the stigma of being black. And it was treated with the upmost delicacy. Lillies of the Valley made Sidney Portire. I think we went through a period of overcompensating during the 60's and 70's trying to make the black experience accepted with horrible shows like "Good Times" which featured actors with absolutley NO talent. Blackula, Super Fly, and Cleopatra Jones were equally laughable.. But no where in early Hollywood can I find an example of racist stereotyping, against blacks. We did much worse during WW11 with the Japanese, and the Ching Chong Chinaman image has been much more prolific than watermelon eating, gospel singing blacks.

  35. #35
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,524
    I liked Rochester, and Jack Benny what I don't like is all this bickering

  36. #36
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,232
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottyMonger View Post
    [SIZE=3]Look, your having a bad day. We all have them. However, your continued defensiveness only serves to put you in a deeper hole.[/SIZE]

    [SIZE=3]You said this: "[SIZE=2]that show was the most racist thing I remember seeing as a kid. poor Rochester talking like a total whipping boy...ugh. i'm sorry, I don't see how THAT was funny."[/SIZE][/SIZE]

    [SIZE=3]You are in fact talking about the JACK BENNY SHOW, right?[/SIZE]

    [SIZE=3]You know, the same JACK BENNY SHOW that was originally on radio and then moved to television?[/SIZE]

    [SIZE=3]The same JACK BENNY SHOW that stars JACK BENNY?[/SIZE]

    [SIZE=3]The same JACK BENNY SHOW that JACK BENNY was involved in every aspect of?[/SIZE]


    [SIZE=3]Apparently, you are now saying that the JACK BENNY SHOW was racist, but that you never said that JACK BENNY was racist?[/SIZE]

    [SIZE=3]See what I mean about digging yourself a deeper hole? [/SIZE]

    [SIZE=3]Anyway, there has got to be at least 1 piece of evidence to support your OPINION! Maybe if you did some research you could find it and we could have a real debate and come to a conclusion as to whether he was racist or not.[/SIZE]

    [SIZE=3]Until you do that, AND I’M NOT HOLDING MY BREATH, you are content to post sophomoric comments simply because you got your feelings hurt when I had the audacity to challenge your unsubstantiated OPINION. It’s not even about JACK BENNY anymore, as for as you are concerned. It’s about your bruised ego.[/SIZE]


    [SIZE=3]BTW, I won’t be “running away” from anything, so you can save your arrogant comments for someone who really values your OPINION.[/SIZE]
    NOPE, never once did I say JACK BENNY was racist. if you wanna quote me as saying JB was racist, point it out. but you CAN'T because JB's name was NEVER mentioned next to the word racist.
    Last edited by Death Hag Chris; 11-02-2007 at 06:00 AM.

  37. #37
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    131
    To quote Jack:

    "Now CUT THAT OUT!"

  38. #38
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,232
    Quote Originally Posted by dbrian View Post
    To quote Jack:

    "Now CUT THAT OUT!"
    i'm willing to let it go if Scotty would stop twisting my words to say I called JB a racist. if you read my first post, I never said HE was a racist. never once.

  39. #39
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    320
    Quote Originally Posted by dbrian View Post
    Did you ever catch Benny in "To Be or Not to Be?"--way before the recent remake. Directed by Ernst Lubitsch (1942). It was not only a great film but a definite jab in the eye of the Nazis for their anti-semitism. No racial probs here, I think.
    I found a clip from this hilarious film on youtube. You have to sign in on your youtube account to view it.

    Here's the link, which for some reason is very long.

    "Heil Myself"!

    [SIZE=3]http://www.youtube.com/watch?session=ZgVy0ETyDNekHGoPRSO2O7nbe458l9OTHaly1xVche7R6QZfmhWCzN6--vOuoayXSEoIbDLOMfQY0zb6RB5JnvM6KHBiHRGt_Ddn3kKIq2vS7Bu8VfrQN4i-NWEbiHqIPoVPAfgk1ze6M2JtpOusP0oakDsK3NmNxA_BS-sJWWjJeVeAmKqiNtFiZbdq8iYzmn7FaaUP7Gf0dUAlN13qJIEnhaBTQX-_hiIvQ4MngJalhgVUpRbwUTBJJMlthjCfaK_cQm7_IvMpCtRoGYCpkPz6eVfX9nnI&v=7NnognNifY0&sessi on=MkOYmXzzXLgCz-9cxqwqQQSawsgI19Q6vNy5QC_TzfgiR1fl3OCTg6spqlUFgKtd_jH0-EctrhLVyqEwpDUowvq4jf-H_hJoV51_fKz0SD4aqd1FAiVoqfQAbtuMa10a8B_2LgAwqmYGtbHOdy3mS6T66j7jPaE7dO5pAZYWIYJgmT13 edPgDzkzn7Q8gF_WUzEwWkyiNW5RY4UA0pf3amWBVyOIj19CnG7Fy6pirSkvBkS3TJYYBZsYtrkqJNas1Urtm eFlGte9vBKQwAFPKFec4Cz0Huau[/SIZE]

  40. #40
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    320
    Quote Originally Posted by Death Hag Chris View Post
    i'm willing to let it go if Scotty would stop twisting my words to say I called JB a racist. if you read my first post, I never said HE was a racist. never once.
    Your feeble attempts at damage control are hilarious. Do us all a favor and stop wasting bandwidth while you attempt to backtrack from your unsubstantiated opinion of Jack Benny.

    I continue to make posts that are relevant to the subject of Jack benny, while you continue to make posts that are nothing more than attempts to cover your ass.
    Last edited by ScottyMonger; 11-02-2007 at 07:53 AM.

  41. #41
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,232
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottyMonger View Post
    Your feeble attempts at damage control are hilarious. Do us all a favor and stop wasting bandwidth while you attempt to backtrack from your unsubstantiated opinion of Jack Benny.
    RIGHT! like i said, SHOW ME where i said JB was racist. can't do it can you?

  42. #42
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    320
    Quote Originally Posted by Death Hag Chris View Post
    RIGHT! like i said, SHOW ME where i said JB was racist. can't do it can you?

    Thanks for proving my point so quickly.

  43. #43
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,232
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottyMonger View Post
    Thanks for proving my point so quickly.
    i'm waiting....

  44. #44
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    320
    Quote Originally Posted by Death Hag Chris View Post
    i'm waiting....

    Waiting for what? Another chance to massage your bruised ego and waste bandwidth?


    Even to the casual reader, you clearly and obviously called Jack Benny a racist. Many posters have pointed out that your fuzzy memories of the show, upon which your unsubstantiated opinion is based, are not accurate.

    Since I challenged your bogus opinion, with hard eveidence,you have done nothing to support your original statement. Instead, you seek to attack me for having the audacity to challenge you and to backtrack from even admitting you called Jack Benny a racist.

    I must correct a statement I made earlier: Your feeble attempts to cover your ass used to be hilarious, now they are just pathetic.

  45. #45
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,232
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottyMonger View Post
    Waiting for what? Another chance to massage your bruised ego and waste bandwidth?


    Even to the casual reader, you clearly and obviously called Jack Benny a racist. Many posters have pointed out that your fuzzy memories of the show, upon which your unsubstantiated opinion is based, are not accurate.

    Since I challenged your bogus opinion, with hard eveidence,you have done nothing to support your original statement. Instead, you seek to attack me for having the audacity to challenge you and to backtrack from even admitting you called Jack Benny a racist.

    I must correct a statement I made earlier: Your feeble attempts to cover your ass used to be hilarious, now they are just pathetic.
    nope. waiting for you to quote me as saying JB was a racist. and you CAN'T. looks like i'll be waiting a long time.

  46. #46
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    320
    Quote Originally Posted by Death Hag Chris View Post
    nope. waiting for you to quote me as saying JB was a racist. and you CAN'T. looks like i'll be waiting a long time.
    I want to congratualte you for confirming, in spectacular fashion, that you have absolutely no idea what youe are talking about.

    I have provided ample evidence to disprove your original statement, that the JACK BENNY SHOW, was racist. It is obvious that you are the only person who can't grasp that fact that saying THE JACK BENNY SHOW is racist, is by definition saying that JACK BENNY is racist.

    Being unable to defend your position, you resort to sophompric rants, not realizing what a joke you are making of yourself.

    There is onlu one word to describe your feeble attempts to explain your initial assessment of Jack Benny and your subsequent attempts to cover your ass.

    [SIZE=5]FAIL![/SIZE]

  47. #47
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,232
    still waiting for that quote Scott. btw, who else get's the feeling Scottster and Milte are either the same person. or were seperated at birth?

  48. #48
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    2,895
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eddie_Anderson_(comedian)

    Benny was often protective of Anderson and this led to conflict. For instance in World War II, Benny toured with his show but not Rochester because discrimination in the armed forces would have required separate living quarters. Stateside, a similar incident was defused by Benny when, according to reporter Fredric W. Slater, Rochester was denied a room at the hotel that Benny and his staff was staying at in St. Joseph, Missouri. When it was announced that Anderson could not stay there, Benny replied "if he doesn't stay here, neither do I." The hotel eventually allowed Anderson to remain as a guest.

  49. #49
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    194
    I thought he was hilarious....... but I found that when he passed, he had arranged that a single red rose be delivered to his wife Mary everyday for the rest of her life (6 years or so) was so sweet!

  50. #50
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    497
    Death Hag Chris, I can assure you that I am a separate person from ScottyMonger, but thanks for dragging me into this argument for no apparent reason. Let me ask you this, do you have a job? 420 posts?? And the vast majority of them not even related to the forum? You are one of the top 5 complete wastes of time on this board. You load it up with posts that you obviously think are witty but which are, in reality, uneducated and poorly worded. Did you notice that only a small group of 8 to 10 people respond to you, out of thousands and thousands? Am I hostile to you right now? Yes, because you brought me into this thing that I had nothing to do with. And for the record, I agree with ScottyMonger, you are a douche for bringing a PC racism discussion into the Jack Benny board.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •