Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Tragic dead musicians

Robotic Chick Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cindyt View Post
    Robotic Chick, do a search before you create a new thread, please. Since these are pics of two different musicians I moved your thread here.
    I'm sorry about that. I will next time c: thanks for letting me know

Quote Originally Posted by Robotic Chick View Post
    I'm sorry about that. I will next time c: thanks for letting me know
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Anyway we can get a spell correction on this thread title?
    I am the king of all things stupid!

Quote Originally Posted by McMorbid View Post
    Anyway we can get a spell correction on this thread title?
    Fixed it as soon as I saw it in the new thread list, lol.

Those who back in the day had put out comedy records however their personal lives were anything but a comedy.

*Bill Buchanan & Dickie Goodman ( The Flying Saucer ). Buchanan would end up running a jewelry store in Texas only to die from cancer in 1996. Meanwhile Dickie Goodman never did get another hit after his 1975 smash "Mr. Jaws", he would blow his brains out in 1989.

*Vaughn Meader.. he hit it back with the 1962 comedy album the spoofed President Kennedy. Unfortunately his career died when Kennedy was shot in 1963. He died in 2004. Sad story..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaughn_Meader

*Allan "Hello Muddah..Hello Fadduh" Sherman....even though in later years he did find some work doing cartoon voices such as Dr. Seuss's The Cat in the Hat, by the early 70's her career was in major decline plus he had developed severe health issues too. Sherman died in 1973 just before his 49th birthday.

and even though he is still with us Weird Al Yankovic had his share of tragedy such as the 2004 accidental death of his parents due to carbon monoxide poisoning.

Quote Originally Posted by choff View Post
    and even though he is still with us Weird Al Yankovic had his share of tragedy such as the 2004 accidental death of his parents due to carbon monoxide poisoning.
    Good list, choff. I agree about Weird Al; it still saddens me to think he lost both his parents like that.
    "We've had threads about guys fucking picnic tables, animals and dead bodies. Third boob ain't going to stop a damn thing." - cleanskull

I never knew that about Weird Al For being 53, he sure looks great! He takes really good care of himself!

Quote Originally Posted by Squishy View Post
    I never knew that about Weird Al For being 53, he sure looks great! He takes really good care of himself!
    Not only does Weird Al looks great at 53 but he still does what he loves and he has been doing it for well over 30 years now. I can still remember Weird Al doing a a parody of the Queen tune "Another One Bites the Dust" called "Another One Rides the Bus" and he did it LIVE over Buffalo's WKBW-AM 1520 way way way back in 1980. Apparently the Buffalo, New York as well as the east coast radio audience loved Weird Al as his appearance on WKBW not only blew out the radio station's phone line thanks to so many people calling into the radio station but from what I can recall the same with WKBW-TV channel 7's phone lines as well. I assume that those outside Buffalo had called up their local phone operator and asked to get into contact with Weird Al on WKBW RADIO only to be connected to WKBW-TV instead.

I remember being 9 years old and liking "Eat It" more than MJ's "Beat It"

Meow Guest
    Was watching PBS' tribute show honouring the many wonderful and talented girl groups of the 1960s. Being a Death hag in good standing I checked my iphone periodically to see "where are they now?" or perhaps more accurately ""Are they now?" In the case of the Shangri-las---"My Boyfriend's Back" two members are deceased. However, the member from that group who most suits this thread has to be Mary Ann Ganser. There's even a note of confusion regarding the exact cause of death. As the ever popular Wikipedia puts it:

Mary Ann Ganser began having health problems in 1968. She died in Queens NY, on March 14, 1970, aged 22. The cause of her death has been variously reported as encephalitis, a seizuredisorder, or barbiturates.[4][13]

Here's a youtube offering of my favorite Shangri-las number featuring the late Mary Ann Ganser:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5YxtweUxrA

18 September 1970:Jimi Hendrix.................43 years..........

I may have posted this before but there is a website called the Dead Rock Stars Club that is a huge comprehensive list of musicians and anyone that has anything to do with the music business that's died. Some of the people listed I was really surprised. A few one hit wonders from the 80's that I had no idea that had died. Go check it out if you never have. It's set up as Decade/year/month/day. I spend a couple of all nighters going through it years ago. http://thedeadrockstarsclub.com/deadrock.html

Last edited by Domino; 12-27-2013 at 07:11 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

reving19 Guest
    Would John Belushi count on this thread? Yes, he did "Animal House" and SNL, but his work as one of the Blues Brothers was pretty good, too. Also, "Briefcase Full of Blues" (which he did along with fellow Blues Brother Dan Aykroyd) was a No. 1 selling album.

I think Belushi's rendition of "Soul Man" is better than the original.

Quote Originally Posted by reving19 View Post
    Would John Belushi count on this thread? Yes, he did "Animal House" and SNL, but his work as one of the Blues Brothers was pretty good, too. Also, "Briefcase Full of Blues" (which he did along with fellow Blues Brother Dan Aykroyd) was a No. 1 selling album.

I think Belushi's rendition of "Soul Man" is better than the original.
    Belushi most certainly would count.

I am going to add Russ Columbo to the list. He could very well be a poster boy for the phrase "if its time to go..it really is time to go".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russ_Columbo

Mammy Guest
    Those who back in the day had put out comedy records however their personal lives were anything but a comedy.

*Bill Buchanan & Dickie Goodman ( The Flying Saucer ). Buchanan would end up running a jewelry store in Texas only to die from cancer in 1996. Meanwhile Dickie Goodman never did get another hit after his 1975 smash "Mr. Jaws", he would blow his brains out in 1989.

*Vaughn Meader.. he hit it back with the 1962 comedy album the spoofed President Kennedy. Unfortunately his career died when Kennedy was shot in 1963. He died in 2004. Sad story..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaughn_Meader

*Allan "Hello Muddah..Hello Fadduh" Sherman....even though in later years he did find some work doing cartoon voices such as Dr. Seuss's The Cat in the Hat, by the early 70's her career was in major decline plus he had developed severe health issues too. Sherman died in 1973 just before his 49th birthday.

I never knew that about Weird Al either. Losing one person is hard to deal with, so losing two at the same time must be unbearable. I think "Amish Paradise" is hilarious. It's my favorite of his.

I miss Luther Vandross. He was in horrible health and died young. The most tragic part was that his mother outlived every one of her children. The murders of David "Stringbean" Akeman from HeeHaw and his wife, Estelle, were also very tragic. I was only five years old when they were killed, but I remember how upset my grandparents were over their murders. It is haunting to think about Estelle running to try to get away and the murderer chased her down and shot her as she was begging for her life. Their murderer is still alive in prison. He deserved the death penalty.
    Last edited by Mammy; 12-28-2013 at 08:45 PM.

Sam Cooke. His ending was bad, but his voice was beautiful.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=r01rjeT...%3Dr01rjeTAwf8

kurt cobain,michael jackson, amy winehouse
    "if you need anything, please don't hesitate to ask someone else first" Kurt Cobain

[SIGPIC] http://phineas4cobain.tumblr.com/post/36392280360 [/SIGPIC]

Samii_leighh Guest
    I couldn't agree more! I'm a research junkie when it comes to their tragic story...such wonderful talent short lived.

Jack Raines Guest
    The Exploding Hearts were a punk band from Portland, OR. Shortly after their debut album "Guitar Romantic" was released -- 3 of the 4 band members (the singer, drummer, and bassist) died in a van accident.

"On July 20, 2003, the band was headed home to Portland on Interstate 5 after having played at the Bottom of the Hill in San Francisco. It is believed that Fitzgerald, who was driving, fell asleep and lost control of their van near Eugene, Oregon. Cox, 23, and Gage, 21, were thrown from the vehicle and pronounced dead at the scene and Fitzgerald, 20, died at a hospital. Guitarist Terry Six, 21, and manager Rachell Ramos, 35, sustained only minor injuries.[5][6] The band ceased to exist in the aftermath of the accident."

Baron von zeppelin Guest
    To me personally,I will always grieve for john bonham,Ronnie Van zandt,duane allman,george harrison,SRV,Johnny Cash and john lennon more than any other rock star or musician.

The 27 club, with Amy and Kurt.

one very sad addition for me is Vic Chestnutt. He was an amazing singer/songwriter from Athens, GA. I just loved him. He killed himself by taking an overdose of muscle relaxers. Vic was a quadriplegic, who was denied health coverage. His song, threads just kills me. It is so beautifully haunting. I am a writer of paranormal fiction, and use that song as inspiration quite often...really amazing man.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	15.1 KB 
ID:	50298
    Hurry back...hurry back...don't forget to bring your....death certificate!! [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I bought a domain name called "Forever 27"

I'm planning to put up a site about all of these great artists and entertainers who left us much too soon and left us hungry for more of their talents.

I just can't seem to get started with it for some reason.
    A faulty hypothesis forming:
    A German scientist using Iranian physics and French mathematics.

Ted Challinor Guest
    Surely the most tragic of all is ELO's Mike Edwards who was killed by a giant hay bale. In his van at the time he could only be identified from 'photos and youtube footage ' . eeeeeewwww
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-11195393

qulevergrrl Guest
    Belushi most certainly would count.

I am going to add Russ Columbo to the list. He could very well be a poster boy for the phrase "if its time to go..it really is time to go".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russ_Columbo
    I love it when Belushi gives credit in a shout out on the live album to Booker T and the MG's (The Stax house band), he says, "Steve Cropper and Duck Dunn, yeah, Steve Cropper and Duck Dunn." Steve Cropper has been killed by several internet hoaxes. Thank God he is truly with us. I think for a rocker he has lived a longer life than most. I believe we may have also lost Donald "Duck" Dunn recently as well. Yes, but he died at the age of 70, which is young for some, but pretty good for a touring rock musician.

MissZoot Guest
    Richard Manuel, Rick Danko, Levon Helm-none of them were young by music standards, but all of them were amazingly talented and were still contributing to the music scene when they passed. Levon was a real inspiration on many levels.

Jeff Buckley-just starting to hit his stride. That head voice is to die for (pun intended).

Sam Cooke-the voice, the songwriting, he was the real deal. You Send Me was my first dance at my wedding, Twistin' The Night Away was the song I used to play to dance my babies to sleep. What a waste.