Thread: Ever been on a plane you thought was done?

onehunglow Guest

Ever been on a plane you thought was done?

I've been on so many planes I lost count. All Over the world. Helicopters held together with wire. I have had bummpy flights, but that is normal. A few years back I took flying lessons for about 3 months. The stall was too much, but a part of the deal. Pass it of fail it. The whole time my instructor is telling me this is what kills people. They stall! Just what I needed at that time. I know my limits.

I was on a fight in 1983 from Reno to Phoenix. We were up about 5 minutes and over Tahoe when we heard a grinding and the plane started to shake. My Pal Ben looked at me and said " are we crashing?" I said " don't know look at the fight attendant" We looked back in the 737 and she was white as a ghost. We were at the point of no return since out 1st stop was San Fransico and landed at San Fran on a runway full of crash trucks. We made it and they terminated the flight. We still had to get on another plane and fly to LAX and then to Phoenix. Not my best day, but I now know the fear that one feels when shit goes wrong. I still fly a lot and try to forget that day. I find 8 martinis does the job.

attackatdawn Guest
    back in 2000 my family went to Orlando, Florida on a plane to visit my brother & family the plane ride there was unevental but on the way back we passed thru a storm and I have been thru turbalance but this was terrifing! The plane dropped suddenly, the pilot just told us the turbalance was bad but people around us looked rather scared. We had to land in Nashville for a little while, everything turned out ok but for my son who was 11 yrs old at the time & first plane ride the poor little guy was scared shitless and now he refuses to ride on a plane again. And yes I did have a few drinks on the plane on the ride home which helped alot because every bump was very unnerving.

mommafreak Guest
    been through bad turbulence and it's rough. the dropping not only drops the planes, but stomachs as well. at least all the drinks were put up and nothing was too bad, except nerves.

Death Hag Chris Guest
    never been on a plane. don't wanna fly either. 9/11 took care of that for me.

SlippyInvader Guest
    We were about to take off from Florida heading back to the UK when a bad storm started. The plane stayed on the runway for about 10 mins as the lightening was really bad but it took off anyway while the storm continued. I was absolutely crapping myself as I was convinced the lightening was going to hit us but luckily were ok until the bad turbulance hit about an hour later. As the plane dropped my cup of tea stayed in the air then spilt all over me burning my legs. Thank goodness we got home in one piece but the next day the planes hit the towers on 9/11 which put the wind up me and I don't know if I could ever fly again.

Danny62 Guest
    I hate flying so I think every plane I am on I am done! I usually have to get something from the doctors to relax me, Thank God I don't fly that much!

I also have alot of bad dreams dying in a plane crash!!

PvN73 Guest
    I was on a plane going to the Gold Coast when we were told it was being diverted to sydney cause of a technical issue WTF? anyway as we were flying into Sydney, there a a mega storm happening and the plane dropped. I swear half of the people on the plane started vomiting, including my friend next to me, I had to block my ears so I didnt hear the heaving but the smell was PUTRID! There was a que to the toilet to deposit the sick bags!

We got off the plane and waited for over an hour and then had to board the SAME plane - the smell was still there and had to sit in it for another couple of hours.
    No wonder that company went BUST.... ugh

djdeath-hag Guest
    I've been flying since I was 3 months old.....there have been numerous flights that were unremarkable...but my worst flight was in the fall of 2000....a last minute hop from Miami back to Tampa. I'd just been released from the hospital & my right leg was still quite a mess from a subdural hematoma. Had I known that I'd be required to climb stairs to get on & off of the crop duster & that my knees would be thrust against my chest due to the location of my seat...I'm pretty sure that even without the turbulence, I'd have elected for a bus trip home. Since then....nothing compares to pre-flight vodka medication.

Kathyf Guest
    Just a few turbulents nothing too bad.

GrinReaper Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by onehunglow View Post
    I find 8 martinis does the job.
    Yeah. So do some of the pilots

GrinReaper Guest
    I was flying on a prop puddle jumper from Chicago back home. The thing was dipping and shaking sometime before landing that I was having fantasies of 10' 0 clock newscasts of our plane crash.
    My gf at the time suggested that we take this damn thing instead of the bus. From now on I'm taking the bus.

Jaxxx Guest
    Being a pilot, been on quite a few flights of excitement, one in which the windshield broke, we were flying a group of people to canada so they could go hunting, somewhere over Montana the windshield shattered, (the outer layer) but we dropped like a rock, knocking everything over. Some of the passengers were praying and my co-pilot as well seem scared, but as luck would have it, we radio Billings, and they were waiting with fire trucks, amb. etc. But it was as smooth a landing as possible..and the applause was great. We had to stay in Billings while Falcon sent another windshield and the passengers chartered another plane for Canada. Just another day... I retired from flying about 7 months later.

djdeath-hag Guest
    Can't blame you one little bit for retiring after your brush in the sky, Jaxxx! Glad to have you here among us, morbid mortals that we are.

ComputerGuy Guest
    Twin Turbo prop (Army Pilots) 10 seater, 14500 feet flying to Incirlik from Pirinclik and hit a weather front.

All of a sudden a FLASH and then sirens, horns and nothing else. We were struck by lightning. lost about 2000 feet while the pilots worked to get everything restarted.

As long as you don't loose the wings, you can glide and look for a place to put it down.

magblax Guest
    Yes. Landing in Phoenix in the heat of summer causes the plane (for some reason) to jolt pretty severly. One time it was so bad I thought for sure I was done.

onehunglow Guest

Yeah

Quote Originally Posted by ComputerGuy View Post
    Twin Turbo prop (Army Pilots) 10 seater, 14500 feet flying to Incirlik from Pirinclik and hit a weather front.

All of a sudden a FLASH and then sirens, horns and nothing else. We were struck by lightning. lost about 2000 feet while the pilots worked to get everything restarted.

As long as you don't loose the wings, you can glide and look for a place to put it down.
    That's what Steve F thought as well. You don't piss on the cape. Keep it low in and out and real time data. Not smart Steve. The country hick don't always wash.

Lobsters Guest
    Yep.

I was on a return trip for the company I was working for. We flew down to Louisiana to visit a factory of one of our suppliers.

We were in a twin prop puddle jumper. Suddenly it got very cold and the plane dropped a 1000 or so feet. We lost all cabin pressure. Thankfully we weren't up high enough that we had to drop alot so that everyone wouldn't pass out.

As we were making our landing at the nearest airport, the co--pilot turns to me and says...feel the back wall behind you. Is it warm? It was. She says "great! we're on fire!

We landed quickly with the full range of fire trucks chasing us down the runway.

We got off, and they got the fire out. No one hurt.

We had to wait for the company to send us another plane, and then had to circle our local airport for an hour because stupid President Clinton was here and the air space was restricted.

LAST.TIME.I.EVER.FLEW.A.COMPANY.PLANE.

poppie Guest
    I was on a C-47, flying from Offutt AFB, Nebraska to Tinker AFB in Oklahoma. We were not in the air very long, an hour or so, and the plane began to make loud noises and shaking like it was spastic. Red lights were going on/off in the plane,too. A sergeant came over to us each, and told us to put on our parachutes!!!!!!!!! OMG!!! Then he and another crew member came by us all and made certain the straps were pulled as tight as possible. After that, we all went over to the other side of the place, in a line, and hooked a line from the parachute to a thick wire running down the side of the place. WE WERE GONNA HAVE TO JUMP!! Before the crew could open the door, the plane began to settle down, and we were smooth flying again. We all sat back down, but we all kept on our parachutes til we landed at Oklahoma.

ComputerGuy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by poppie View Post
    I was on a C-47, flying from Offutt AFB, Nebraska to Tinker AFB in Oklahoma. We were not in the air very long, an hour or so, and the plane began to make loud noises and shaking like it was spastic. Red lights were going on/off in the plane,too. A sergeant came over to us each, and told us to put on our parachutes!!!!!!!!! OMG!!! Then he and another crew member came by us all and made certain the straps were pulled as tight as possible. After that, we all went over to the other side of the place, in a line, and hooked a line from the parachute to a thick wire running down the side of the place. WE WERE GONNA HAVE TO JUMP!! Before the crew could open the door, the plane began to settle down, and we were smooth flying again. We all sat back down, but we all kept on our parachutes til we landed at Oklahoma.
    Way Cool

Guest Guest
    I moved from Walla Walla Wa to the Tacoma area when I was 10 years old, when I was 12 my parents sent me to WW for a Christmas gift and I spent the holiday with family and friends their that year...there was an airline that once existed that served Washington as well as the west coast called CASCADE Airlines...I flew by myself and my experience was so memorable that it kept me off a plane for another 20 years...now I love it

Cascade didn't have big planes, the one from Seattle to Spokane fit maybe 80 people...I had to get off in Spokane and get on another plane to WW...that one held about 10 people including the pilot and co pilot...there wasn't a cockpit door but a set of curtains separating us from them...I had a drunk guy sitting beside me and a sister sitting in front of me, I swear you couldn't move 3 inches in any direction...there was a storm and there was turbulence, a lot of it, I was doing my best not to cry and this drunk guy says to me..."you know they call this airline CRASHcade" just then there was this very loud POP! and we started to nosedive...everything was in slow motion...people were screaming, the sister was praying, the pilot and co pilot told us to get into crash positions, stuff was flying all over and I got hit in the head with someones purse,the drunk guy puked all over the back of the seat and all could keep saying is "whats happening?" the plane made a whistling sound and then slowly it started to stabilize..it went on for about 3 minutes but it felt like forever...we came in for an emergency landing and damn near crashed again on the runway because of the ice and snow...as it turns out, the bearings in the left engine totally seized up and the band supporting it to the wing broke off in mid air...the pilot told my grandfather that we should all have been dead and he doesn't know why we weren't...We dropped over 8 thousand feet in less than a minute and that alone should have broke us up...I like to think that it's because there was a drunk AND a nun on board! Scary experience but it doesn't keep me from flying now...I love it!

Andrea Guest
    Yes indeed once on a plane to Germany the turbulance was so bad the oxygen masks dropped down and people were crying and vomiting. The next worse was on a flight from Atlanta to LEX and we were seated in the back and it felt like a rollercoaster the whole time. I don't enjoy flying, and now when I have to the Dr. gives me Xanax --- just enough for the flights.

SanDiegodeathhag19 Guest
    never been on a plane so i cant really say..

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    Yes, in Greece, in '97...Olympic Airways flight from Crete to Santorini...late at night, high winds, engine failure, emergency landing. Lots of broken bones on the plane, no deaths thank God.
    I've never forgotten it, everyone on the plane thought we were through...

Quote Originally Posted by SlippyInvader View Post
    We were about to take off from Florida heading back to the UK when a bad storm started. The plane stayed on the runway for about 10 mins as the lightening was really bad but it took off anyway while the storm continued. I was absolutely crapping myself as I was convinced the lightening was going to hit us but luckily were ok until the bad turbulance hit about an hour later. As the plane dropped my cup of tea stayed in the air then spilt all over me burning my legs. Thank goodness we got home in one piece but the next day the planes hit the towers on 9/11 which put the wind up me and I don't know if I could ever fly again.
    Woah... now that's gotta scare the crap out of ya.

I was on a plane coming back from Florida, very foggy and dark out. When it came time to land it felt like an eternity with the turbulence and not being able to see anything. Eventually we just landed and I'm convinced the pilot was going entirely on his equipment as there was no way in hell he could have seen anything around him or in front of him.

Bigfoot Guest
    Back in 2003 SJU-BOS we were over tha atlantic and all from the sudden we hit turbulence. Nothing bad, but the the plane hit an empty air pocket and we dropped like 1,000 ft. The scariest so far. Last year, PHL-CLE was on a CRJ-200 and stormy weather around. Shortly after T/O, we shook up and down and side ways. I felt for a minute like a cowboy.

onehunglow Guest

Good one

Quote Originally Posted by Dearheart View Post
    I moved from Walla Walla Wa to the Tacoma area when I was 10 years old, when I was 12 my parents sent me to WW for a Christmas gift and I spent the holiday with family and friends their that year...there was an airline that once existed that served Washington as well as the west coast called CASCADE Airlines...I flew by myself and my experience was so memorable that it kept me off a plane for another 20 years...now I love it

Cascade didn't have big planes, the one from Seattle to Spokane fit maybe 80 people...I had to get off in Spokane and get on another plane to WW...that one held about 10 people including the pilot and co pilot...there wasn't a cockpit door but a set of curtains separating us from them...I had a drunk guy sitting beside me and a sister sitting in front of me, I swear you couldn't move 3 inches in any direction...there was a storm and there was turbulence, a lot of it, I was doing my best not to cry and this drunk guy says to me..."you know they call this airline CRASHcade" just then there was this very loud POP! and we started to nosedive...everything was in slow motion...people were screaming, the sister was praying, the pilot and co pilot told us to get into crash positions, stuff was flying all over and I got hit in the head with someones purse,the drunk guy puked all over the back of the seat and all could keep saying is "whats happening?" the plane made a whistling sound and then slowly it started to stabilize..it went on for about 3 minutes but it felt like forever...we came in for an emergency landing and damn near crashed again on the runway because of the ice and snow...as it turns out, the bearings in the left engine totally seized up and the band supporting it to the wing broke off in mid air...the pilot told my grandfather that we should all have been dead and he doesn't know why we weren't...We dropped over 8 thousand feet in less than a minute and that alone should have broke us up...I like to think that it's because there was a drunk AND a nun on board! Scary experience but it doesn't keep me from flying now...I love it!
    Mine wasn't that bad! Wow! I'll bet 99% on there never flew again.Glad your here.

mike Guest
    My plane ride from hell,was in 1990 coming back from Denver.We ran into a storm and the plane just all of a sudden dropped from the wind currents and i just knew i was gone that day and the lady next to apologized for spilling her gin on me.I'm think to myself that i had other things to worry about than that.

onehunglow Guest
    [SIZE=3]My instructor called it “hitting bad air”. I’ve been on a lot of flight that have done that drop but when you’re at 38,000 feet you have some room. I think wind shear at low altitudes is the bad one. If I am not mistaken the major airliners have some sort of warning that they may be in bad air. I just put my trust in the pilots and go on with life. I know I have more of a chance of dying from a cut and a staph infection than I do going down in a commercial airliner with a real pilot. [/SIZE]