Thread: Jam Master Jay Anniversary

epicentre Guest

Jam Master Jay Anniversary

Documentary on this still-unsolved murder by those who knew the man best:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/1xtra/tx/docume...ster_jay.shtml

Run DMC were cool... thanks for the link Epic, I gotta check this out!

Death Hag Chris Guest
    i'm still shocked and saddened by this muder. why JAY? I STILL don't get it. it's not like he was one of those "gangsta" rappers, throwing up the gang signs and calling out other rappers. Run DMC were the kings of POSITIVE rap. they didn't sing about violence. they were a good time group. and Jay is missed by all of us who were touched by their music in one way or another. like rap or not, you gotta admit this was tragic.

I agree Chris.. very tragic but one never knows what happens behind closed doors. This very well could have been a random murder but it could have also been provoked some how. I'm not too informed on the topic but I would like to know more about why this happened.

Death Hag Chris Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jason8478 View Post
    I agree Chris.. very tragic but one never knows what happens behind closed doors. This very well could have been a random murder but it could have also been provoked some how. I'm not too informed on the topic but I would like to know more about why this happened.
    you're right. he could have been a real dirtbag in his personal life. but I don't are how big of a dick you are. NOBODY deserves to be murdered.

True

Noor 7ayaty Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Death Hag Chris View Post
    i'm still shocked and saddened by this muder. why JAY? I STILL don't get it. it's not like he was one of those "gangsta" rappers, throwing up the gang signs and calling out other rappers. Run DMC were the kings of POSITIVE rap. they didn't sing about violence. they were a good time group. and Jay is missed by all of us who were touched by their music in one way or another. like rap or not, you gotta admit this was tragic.
    That's right Chris -- you tell 'em! Run DMC: One of the true progenitors of rap, and leaders of social conciousness within it.

I don't know if this is news to anyone, but they do have a suspect, but no way to tie the culprit to the murder, and if anyone else was there, they weren't talking. (There literally was someone else there who was injured in the attack, but police believe him that he did not see who actually did it. I'm not so sure about that; this guy was in very close proximity to Jay when it all went down.)

There is a huge morally repulsive 'sub-movement' within rap about the "no snitching" 'rule' in recent years. It is staunchly supported by the man-in-the-street or what some would call the hood, and yes it even includes withholding information about those who murder. There are an ample number of rap-related crimes -- some of which were certainly high-profile -- in which the killer is known but for whatever reasons either evidence can't link them to it, or the witnesses refuse to talk.

This movement is so strongly supported that rappers have chosen to go to jail rather than "snitch," and were pretty much treated as heroes when they got out. In a recent 60 Minutes profile which included numerous top sellers such as 50 Cent (fiddy!) and Busta Rhymes, some artists admitted that if they were to snitch, it would be just as good as career suicide. It's THAT rampant.

Several 'star' rappers have paid homage to those who did not snitch in loads of songs. I know one superstar who had a guy shot literally within short feet of him, they even profiled this guy on the same 60 Minutes segment, ferchristssakes. He insists he didn't see it, and pretty much everybody knows he did.

I helped this guy get discovered and marketed and frankly, rich as shit. And now he's encouraging crime, well aware of the fact that there's a great deal of chance that it will be black-on-black crime. It's so morally repugnant. Currently I'm on extended medical leave; if I were on the air I wouldn't play his music for love nor money. (If that mindset offends anyone, I make no apology of it.)

I missed hooking up with Run DMC at one of the big conventions, and they were so sweet and sent me this cool embroidered knapsack w/goodies and matching hat. I recently talked to a fellow DJ from NYC and had not realised before how affected this dear person was by The Master's passing, so I'm surprising him by sending him the hat. (He's been drooling over it anyway lol)

A very, very tragic loss to the community. All members of Run DMC have a richly charitable background, often involving themselves in noble causes, rather than just funding them. "Lead by example" could have been their motto.

Jam Master led what turned out to be a musical revolution in the rap industry when their "Raising Hell" album solidified the success of the rap/rock hybrid within the genre; led by their famous remake of Aerosmith's "Walk This Way" they pioneered into crossover categories, and Raising Hell was a smash in rap, rock, and pop. Jay did that. IMHO Jay is no less than responsible for reviving Aerosmith's flagging career, they owe that 'return to popularity' to him.

A true master of his craft, leader, and friend -- he often had problems balancing his own money because he helped out others so much, and was known to help artists and others right out of his pocket.

And his killer's walking about free. It's so disgusting, the discrimination, the lack of a better investigation. JMJ deserved far better than that.
    Last edited by Noor 7ayaty; 10-31-2007 at 08:54 AM.

I have just ordered the cliff notes of the post above, anybody need a copy let me know

Noor 7ayaty Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Death Hag Chris View Post
    you're right. he could have been a real dirtbag in his personal life. but I don't are how big of a dick you are. NOBODY deserves to be murdered.
    Amen on the comment, and he certainly wasn't a dirtbag. He did have occasional money troubles, but it was due to his poor managing & planning skills rather than an illegal activity. He was well loved and very respected in his communities. His murder was just senseless.

Yeah but as I mentioned... nobody knows what happens behind closed doors, Jay could have owed money... he could have slept with somebodies lady... it's very risky to run into a room and kill somebody and run out, most people have a reason. Unless he was 18 and being initiated into a gang... then it would be senseless. He did seem like a nice guy but i didn't know him personally... just knew he was a talented musician. R.I.P
    Last edited by Jason; 10-31-2007 at 09:08 AM.

Noor 7ayaty Guest
    I have just ordered the cliff notes of the post above, anybody need a copy let me know

LOL

Glad I can make ya laugh

(I also like this little guy, very clever)

Noor 7ayaty Guest
    Yeah but as I mentioned... nobody knows what happens behind closed doors

Quote Originally Posted by Noor 7ayaty View Post
    (There literally was someone else there who was injured in the attack, but police believe him that he did not see who actually did it. I'm not so sure about that; this guy was in very close proximity to Jay when it all went down.)
    1.) Open package.
    2.) Eat peanuts.

Short enough for ya?

I was talking about him as a human being...

1) pay attention
    2) then respond

don't feel like starting a war over this... just don't like reading long posts, my attention span sucks.
    Last edited by Jason; 10-31-2007 at 09:21 AM.

Noor 7ayaty Guest
    I was talking about him as a human being...

1) pay attention
    2) then respond

don't feel like starting a war over this... just don't like reading long posts, my attention span sucks.
    Yes, I believe you've gotten that point well across now. Do you wish to stress it again, or may I go on my way?

(last word freak) no I'm done and not stressing btw. I'm probably not alone though, if I want the story I'll go to Wikipedia but thank you for taking the time to post that...

and thanks for this guy...

Ok now I'm done take care and much love
    Last edited by Jason; 10-31-2007 at 09:38 AM.

monhol Guest
    from what i have heard jay was not a "scum bag". he was a nice guy. after his murder fifty cent was taken into protective custody. for his safety.they thought it may have had something to do with fifty because jay actually discovered fifty not dre or eminem. fifty did do some work with jay. in that studio. so who knows. i think it was someone who wanted to make a name for his or herself by killing a well known and respected person also there are rumors that jay may have owed someone money. he probably did. he had a wife and kids and back in the run dmc days rappers did not make alot of cash. so he may have been strapped for cash at one time. as you can see rev run whom i love still has dough and that is because his brother russell was the mastermind and made sure his baby bro was taken care of. alot of those rappers under russell have no type of dough now. i wonder why?? the old motown beery gordy syndrome strikes again.

Quote Originally Posted by monhol View Post
    from what i have heard jay was not a "scum bag". he was a nice guy. after his murder fifty cent was taken into protective custody. for his safety.they thought it may have had something to do with fifty because jay actually discovered fifty not dre or eminem. fifty did do some work with jay. in that studio. so who knows. i think it was someone who wanted to make a name for his or herself by killing a well known and respected person also there are rumors that jay may have owed someone money. he probably did. he had a wife and kids and back in the run dmc days rappers did not make alot of cash. so he may have been strapped for cash at one time. as you can see rev run whom i love still has dough and that is because his brother russell was the mastermind and made sure his baby bro was taken care of. alot of those rappers under russell have no type of dough now. i wonder why?? the old motown beery gordy syndrome strikes again.
    If that is true and somebody just tried to make a name for themselves then I hope they find that guy, tie his balls to a turn table and push the button until it goes "click".