Page 1 of 46 12310 ... LastLast

Thread: Buddy Holly

onehunglow Guest

Cool Buddy Holly

[SIZE=3]Living just down the road from where Buddy Holly and the “Big Dropper” dropped in, we’ve heard for years that the trio was taken to the Mason City hospital to wait for the funeral homes to get them. Ah! The x-rays, how many funeral homes have those and why? The rumor is that they did the autopsies right there and the pictures are still locked up in a safe. Many of the Doctors have seen them as all of the new Directors. In 1959 the ditch going into that cornfield was 8 feet deep to allow for snow to be pushed in and half full. There is no way a funeral home would send an expensive hearse on a frozen torn up field. I’ve driven on them with tractors, jeeps and pickups. The ride from hell. You would have that thing hung up like a thug. So I have to agree that the pictures of 3 on the slab do exist. I also have friend whose Father was the head of maintenance in 1959 and he confirms they did the big cut there as the Death Certificate does say CG County. There are pictures or were on the net about 5 years ago that showed close ups of the three on the ground as well as the pilot’s legs sticking out looking more like ground round. I do have a piece of the plane. Every fall after the corn or beans are picked the metal detectors come out. I’m going myself as soon as this corn is down. [/SIZE]

i once mused what buddy would sound like on acid. the beatles was the best i could do.

in the along the fence photo in the cornfield,two fairly standard looking late forty sedans are in the top right,and perhaps an ambulance obscured by the man walking towards the plane. i went back and looked again,and what may be a 1958 ford is seen in the distance between the two older cars and what is clearly an ambulance over the mans shoulder.
    Last edited by midnitelamp; 10-07-2007 at 02:23 PM.

onehunglow Guest

That's correct

They were City vehicles and if they got wrecked no big deal. One account says the bodies were picked up by the funeral homes. No way. They take care of those rides. Also in 59 rock stars were still just a band. Right along the fence farmers use to leave a small strip of unplowed land to make it easy to drive the grain wagons along. You can see that in the pictures. If you use Google Earth and search "The Day The Music Died" it will take you to the crash site and you can see it from the air.

monhol Guest
    i did read the autopsy reports and it was not pretty so i can image what the bodies actually looked like.

i called around and Snell was the ambulance provider for CG Co.,a private concern,then,and until recently. it is their ambulance visible over the mans shoulder walking towards the wreckage. in an unpublished photo,taken from about the same angle,the man has moved closer to the wreckage,and the archivist says hearses are visible.

i did'nt push my luck on the autopsies,though. maybe i will go up there sometime.

onehunglow Guest

Good find

I lived in Charles City just 15 minutes east and remember the crash. The thing that never made sense was why would a funeral home have an x-ray machine? I have to go with the rumor they were done in MCH.

Gary Guest
    I was one of the founding members of the Buddy Holly Memorial Society back in the late 70s. At that time, I was in contact with a guy in Canada (Skip Brooks) who claimed he had b&w photos of the three bodies on the slab. Says he got them from the coroner many years before. Skip was a HUUUUUGE Buddy fan at the time of the crash and collected anything he could get his hands on then. I believe it was a year or so after the crash, Skip wrote to Buddy's parents and told them how much he loved Buddy's music and how much of a fan he was and Buddy's parents kept in contact with Skip thru the years, until their deaths. They even sent Skip some of Buddy's personal things, like a leather belt that Buddy made in school, a handkerchief, and some music stuff. Anyway, back to the photos of the bodies on the slab, I remember Skip describing them to me over the phone and I thought it was pretty gross, obviously. After Skip was done describing them, he asked me if I wanted copies of them and I politely turned him down. DUHHH!!! WHY THE F**K DID I DO THAT!?? I should have taken him up on his offer! But I just didn't want to remember seeing them that way, so left it at that. Well, Skip has died since then and I often wonder where those photos are now.

onehunglow Guest

That sounds about right.

The ME's name is on the DC. My Uncle was a Cop there and went out after the plane was moved. He found a bunch of wires and crap that had been torn off getting the pilot out. He took it with him. A bunch of us have little pieces of the plane. His daughter has a big piece and I am trying to get a chunk for Scott. The old bag wants me to buy a 1 inch piece. I'll drive up and "dig up" a chunk. Like rocks they just come up.

alexmack Guest

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    I was one of the founding members of the Buddy Holly Memorial Society back in the late 70s. At that time, I was in contact with a guy in Canada (Skip Brooks) who claimed he had b&w photos of the three bodies on the slab. Says he got them from the coroner many years before. Skip was a HUUUUUGE Buddy fan at the time of the crash and collected anything he could get his hands on then. I believe it was a year or so after the crash, Skip wrote to Buddy's parents and told them how much he loved Buddy's music and how much of a fan he was and Buddy's parents kept in contact with Skip thru the years, until their deaths. They even sent Skip some of Buddy's personal things, like a leather belt that Buddy made in school, a handkerchief, and some music stuff. Anyway, back to the photos of the bodies on the slab, I remember Skip describing them to me over the phone and I thought it was pretty gross, obviously. After Skip was done describing them, he asked me if I wanted copies of them and I politely turned him down. DUHHH!!! WHY THE F**K DID I DO THAT!?? I should have taken him up on his offer! But I just didn't want to remember seeing them that way, so left it at that. Well, Skip has died since then and I often wonder where those photos are now.
    HEY!!! What part of Canada? I'm a canadian and would go door to door if need be to find them! (LOL)

onehunglow Guest

A video of the Buddy Holly crash site

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVl6tsZ4bcA

This has been changed since 59. The ditches are not as deep etc. If you do a Google Earth and search for "the day the music died" it will give you a hell of view and you can zoom out and see the airport. Welcome to Iowa.

onehunglow Guest

More videos of the Holly crash site 4 those

That will never see it. I been there more times than I can remember and always get a lump.......yeah I tear up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UYVE...related&search=

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_hfy...related&search=

onehunglow Guest

Unhappy Video of the Surf

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wz4Ng...related&search=

Tell me how they got a hearse in there?
    Last edited by onehunglow; 10-10-2007 at 06:15 PM.

kelbons Guest
    LMAO I love the reenactment of the crash... poor Luke and Obi-Wan!

onehunglow Guest

I just posted video of The Surf & Crash site

On the Muscians board. Wecome to my world.

onehunglow Guest

Unhappy Unreal video footage of the Crash WARNING

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92AdBbmhRq8

Gruesome watch at your own risk. Pictures of Buddy & the rest.
    Last edited by onehunglow; 10-10-2007 at 07:40 PM.

Danny62 Guest
    That was a very emotional video....damn pilot!!

onehunglow Guest

Try being from Iowa.

I travel a lot. "So your State killed Buddy Holly" I've heard that in every way shape and form. From my place to the crash site in 59 was 20 minutes max. That's how I got a piece of the plane. My Uncle was a Cop and went in after they took the wreck and he pulled up a bunch of cable etc. and they told him to toss it, so he did. In his trunk. Yep were all death hags.

leppchic Guest
    Wow very interesting, and tragic. Thanks for the link. So sad three great musicians taken in their prime.

Jack Raines Guest
    Thanks, thats a good clip. So tragic...

Casanndra Guest
    A good watch, thanks.

erin Guest
    the movie la bamba makes me cry like a baby every time.

I didn't think that clip would affect me the way it did. I actually started crying when Waylon Jennings and Tommy Allsup started talking about finding out that Buddy was dead.

Thanks for the clip.

Herm

onehunglow Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by nthaniel View Post
    I didn't think that clip would affect me the way it did. I actually started crying when Waylon Jennings and Tommy Allsup started talking about finding out that Buddy was dead.

Thanks for the clip.

Herm
    Just being a death hag don't mean we don't hurt. Got to me as well, that's why I posted it. Now Rave On.

GODDESS6 Guest
    wow, that was sooooo sad, thanx for the link~

GODDESS6 Guest
    how would you get there from omaha?, i would love to make the trek~

onehunglow Guest

Easy

Take I 80 East and then I 35 N to Mason City. Right now is the best time. The corn is picked and the weather is nice. Wear some mud shoes.

Begothed Guest
    I couldn't tell those were bodies if they didn't say. So easy to blame the dead pilot.

GODDESS6 Guest
    thanx alot!!!~

buddyhollylover Guest
    i watch anythig w/ buddy in it and i cry. i've loved him all my life. is that weird though, i'm only 33? anyhow....i named my youngest daughter holly after him.

onehunglow Guest

Yep he was not the best but

Quote Originally Posted by Begothed View Post
    I couldn't tell those were bodies if they didn't say. So easy to blame the dead pilot.
    They had no idea they were on their way into a blizzard. They said the plane was doing 160. It covered 5 miles. So it was in the air 187 seconds or about 3 minutes. Do the math for the rate of climb he must have been right around 2300 feet max and then nosed in. The point of impact in fozen dirt was huge. I don't think this was pilot error no matter what. I think somethingbroke on that plane.
    Last edited by onehunglow; 10-11-2007 at 02:53 PM.

thanks low.

mommafreak Guest
    i can't watch the clip here at work. will watch when i get home. this just amazes me how many young musicians have perished in plane crashes, auto crashes, not to mention drugs. come on people, take the drugs away and save our talent. what would we all write about then? hmmmmm........

yes its a good video but why say its 'gruesome'?

Its not

onehunglow Guest

To a few here it is.

Quote Originally Posted by death_hag_slag View Post
    They know who they are and it only a heads up to them. That's all there is to it.

Its not

Quote Originally Posted by death_hag_slag View Post

Its not
    I agree. It's not like you are getting close-up shots of the bodies. The pictures were taken at a distance and you can't really see anything, and plus the flight thing was a reinactment - not the actual flight.

I'd say it was "entertaining" and "informative" - but NOT "gruesome".

Sorry...

BobbyJrsy Guest
    Thanks for sharing this! Very informative!! Did anyone see that show recently where the big bopper was exhumed by his son...or was this a part of the same show?

BTW, not gruesome, but thanks for the warning anyway.

SW4 Guest
    Thanks mate, fascinating clip. The aircraft may have been in distress during descent, but it looks as if it crashed nose-first based on the passengers being ejected but the pilot in place. I wonder what event may have caused that ?

excellent videos! does anyone know what happened ultimately to maria elena holley?

She lost the baby she was carrying of Holly's shortly after his death, and never remarried.

I don't know if she's still alive or not tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Aries65 View Post
    She lost the baby she was carrying of Holly's shortly after his death, and never remarried.

I don't know if she's still alive or not tho.
    hi aries i just read that she actually remarried, had three kids, and promotes buddy's music still, but that she didn't go to his funeral, and has never visited his grave!

Cheers for the link nice to watch shame about buddy and co my mum was a big fan of his.

onehunglow Guest
    She is also the one who shut down the Buddy Holly Winter Party that was held at the Surf since 1979. I think it was shut down about 4 years ago because she wanted a lot of money to use the name. When it 1st started a lot of the original members of that tour came back. Del S., the Crickets etc. So now they have some bull shit thing Feb. 3 and about 50 people since they don't want a law suit. It was never about making money. The guy who own the Surf is loosing money but keeps it open to honor Buddy and the rest. Most of the acts that came played for free.

Gary Guest
    Don't believe everything you hear about her being pregnant, either. Buddy never ONCE mentioned it while he was on that last tour, according to somebody who was on that tour with him. Bopper's wife was pregnant at the time (with Junior) and all he could talk about was his wife and the baby. Buddy was VERY excited for the Bopper and mentioned he was looking forward to being a father some day. Well, if Maria was preggers, don't you think Buddy would have been bragging about it as well? Fact is, Buddy and Maria were going thru bad times. So bad that Buddy was going to divorce Maria after the tour, build a home and studio back in Lubbock, and start producing his own stuff (WITH The Crickets) and other people as well, such as Waylon and Ritchie Valens. Since Buddy was on the road (he needed the money pretty bad), he was having his brother in Lubbock get divorce papers ready. Maria knew this was going on and she was NOT going to move to Lubbock, so she went for sympathy and came up with the story that she was pregnant AFTER Buddy was killed. And yes, it's true.....she never went to the funeral and has never been to his grave. Her name now is Maria Elena Santiago Holley Diaz. She's a money hungry person who refuses to allow Buddy's name to be used for anything unless she gets $25,000. Since they were still married when he was killed, she owns the name, not his family. I could go on and on, but I'll stop.

Quote Originally Posted by hell0kitty View Post
    hi aries i just read that she actually remarried, had three kids, and promotes buddy's music still, but that she didn't go to his funeral, and has never visited his grave!
    Huh, weird. I thought she never remarried. I guess I got the wrong news somewhere - thanks for clearing that up!

I also heard (and this was in the paper), that Buddy Holly's watch - the one he was wearing when he died, was given to his father, who wore it for a time, and after he died, it was sold at auction a few years back for about $50,000 (I think?).

I know Richie Valen's girlfriend Donna ended up getting married and having a few kids.

Gary Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by onehunglow View Post
    She is also the one who shut down the Buddy Holly Winter Party that was held at the Surf since 1979. I think it was shut down about 4 years ago because she wanted a lot of money to use the name. When it 1st started a lot of the original members of that tour came back. Del S., the Crickets etc. So now they have some bull shit thing Feb. 3 and about 50 people since they don't want a law suit. It was never about making money. The guy who own the Surf is loosing money but keeps it open to honor Buddy and the rest. Most of the acts that came played for free.
    Somewhat true. They started going more into the 60s acts a few years ago and not many people were buying tickets for it, so now it is known as FIFTIES IN FEBRUARY and is getting it's glory back. This year's show last Feb., 1700 fans came to see The Cleftones, Jimmy Gilmer & The Fireballs, Dale Hawkins, Bobby Vee, the "new" Jay & The Americans, Barbara Lewis, and The Crickets.
    Feb. 2008 will bring the original Belmonts back to the stage for the first time since Feb. 1959, Jay & The Americans will be back by popular demand, Big Bopper Jr., The Crickets will be back again, Flash Cadillac, and more.
    Feb. 2009 will be the 50th Anniversary and the show promises to be the biggest and best yet with a LOT of surprises already in the works.

onehunglow Guest

WOW! Rave on and keep posting!

Don't believe everything you hear about her being pregnant, either. Buddy never ONCE mentioned it while he was on that last tour, according to somebody who was on that tour with him. Bopper's wife was pregnant at the time (with Junior) and all he could talk about was his wife and the baby. Buddy was VERY excited for the Bopper and mentioned he was looking forward to being a father some day. Well, if Maria was preggers, don't you think Buddy would have been bragging about it as well? Fact is, Buddy and Maria were going thru bad times. So bad that Buddy was going to divorce Maria after the tour, build a home and studio back in Lubbock, and start producing his own stuff (WITH The Crickets) and other people as well, such as Waylon and Ritchie Valens. Since Buddy was on the road (he needed the money pretty bad), he was having his brother in Lubbock get divorce papers ready. Maria knew this was going on and she was NOT going to move to Lubbock, so she went for sympathy and came up with the story that she was pregnant AFTER Buddy was killed. And yes, it's true.....she never went to the funeral and has never been to his grave. Her name now is Maria Elena Santiago Holley Diaz. She's a money hungry person who refuses to allow Buddy's name to be used for anything unless she gets $25,000. Since they were still married when he was killed, she owns the name, not his family. I could go on and on, but I'll stop.
    I never ever heard any of that.

onehunglow Guest

Thanks for clearing that up. I'll be there.

Somewhat true. They started going more into the 60s acts a few years ago and not many people were buying tickets for it, so now it is known as FIFTIES IN FEBRUARY and is getting it's glory back. This year's show last Feb., 1700 fans came to see The Cleftones, Jimmy Gilmer & The Fireballs, Dale Hawkins, Bobby Vee, the "new" Jay & The Americans, Barbara Lewis, and The Crickets.
    Feb. 2008 will bring the original Belmonts back to the stage for the first time since Feb. 1959, Jay & The Americans will be back by popular demand, Big Bopper Jr., The Crickets will be back again, Flash Cadillac, and more.
    Feb. 2009 will be the 50th Anniversary and the show promises to be the biggest and best yet with a LOT of surprises already in the works.
    The New Jay & TA? Glad they are working around that woman.

BeanBoyGirl Guest
    I watched it, were is buddy?

Gary Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by onehunglow View Post
    I never ever heard any of that.
    I've known people in the "Holly circle" for a long time and know for all of that to be true.