Thread: Frida Kahlo

RIPWELLSTONE Guest

Frida Kahlo

Frida Kahlo

Frida Kahlo was a Mexican painter of the indigenous culture of her country in a style combining Realism, Symbolism and Surrealism, an active Communist supporter, and wife of the Mexican muralist and cubist painter Diego Rivera; (July 61907 â?? July 13, 1954).

RIPWELLSTONE Guest
    I really love her art.. She was a tortured, talented soul.. And she had an affair with Leon Trotsky.. What's not to like!!!!

Noelle Page Guest
    Good one! Her story is not a happy one (terrible bus accident in her youth, she was impaled, I believe, and lived in great pain ever after.) Her work is deeply autobiographical, very surreal, and quite fascinating (though I can't say I "like" it).

Salma Hayek did a pretty good job playing her in a movie a few years ago. Bit too pretty, though.

Trivia: Madonna has or had a significant collection of Kahlo paintings.

If you ever get a chance to see her house down in Mexico....GO! She was quite the artist, wasn't she? And yes, Selma did a great job playing her.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]peek-a-boo!!

RaRaRamona Guest
    I thought you meant this Frida.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uz5DkTF2RW8

I haven't seen the film although it's supposed to be wonderful. The main reason is, and I apologize in advance, that unibrow is a character all by itself.

kimba Guest
    Yes- she certainly set Unibrow standards...
    but she was a phenomenal artist!
    And - on a Haggy note...legend has it that during her cremation, she sat bolt upright and opened her eyes, flames licking around her head.It was quite the exit!
    Her friends were extremely unnerved by this!

as you would be....
    Last edited by kimba; 10-30-2008 at 01:41 AM.

kimba Guest
    She was kinda like the original Death Hag..she was obsessed with death after her accident.She was severely injured, her leg broken in 11 places, her pelvis in 3..and she was impaled by the streetcar handrail which entered through her side and exited thru her vagina. She was convinced that Death stalked her.
    She made many death paintings..some more disturbing than others!
    Here's one:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	death.jpeg 
Views:	40 
Size:	164.5 KB 
ID:	9377

click on the pic to make it bigger.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	small_nips.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	53.5 KB 
ID:	9378

Here a link to one of the more disturbing ones:
    http://exterminatoryia.blogspot.com/...1_archive.html
    scroll down to the "death frida" one..on the bed...it is titled her birth, but it actually symbolizes the death of her mother...
    Last edited by kimba; 10-30-2008 at 02:20 AM.

John Connor Guest
    Madonna like her because she's the only Frida is the only female artist she's ever heard of.
    She was a very interesting person. She expressed her pain through her art which was mainly self portarits, no?

Frank 'N' Howie Guest
    I also love Frida...She was so much more talented than given credit for...I loved the movie...Especially when her baby died and she requested that he be put in a jar for her to see...That takes some steel cahones...Her art is disturbing and surreal at the same time...She had a vision of death that I am so jealous of...Mexicans have a flair for the dead...

In a book I read about her, it said that as she was being cremated her body sat up. Once a lady commissioned her to do a portrait of her daughter, who had committed suicide by jumping out of her 20+ story building. Frida painted the portrait, and it was a picture of the girl jumping out of her window. Needless to say, the mom did not want the picture after that.

Frank 'N' Howie Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by michihunt View Post
    In a book I read about her, it said that as she was being cremated her body sat up. Once a lady commissioned her to do a portrait of her daughter, who had committed suicide by jumping out of her 20+ story building. Frida painted the portrait, and it was a picture of the girl jumping out of her window. Needless to say, the mom did not want the picture after that.
    Apparently that mother didn't know what Frida was all about...

Umm...I don't know what to say. Except that it's pretty heartless to present this to a woman whose daughter just killed herself jumping out of a window.
    Last edited by michihunt; 08-08-2009 at 01:55 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

At the bottom it says:
    "In New York City on the 21st of October 1938, at 6:00 in the morning, Dorothy Hale committed suicide by throwing herself from a very high window in the Hampshire House. In her memory, this portrait was executed by Frida Kahlo.”
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I'm watching the movie right now. In real life, her husband Diego, had to be one of the most unattractive men ever grown. Yikes.
    To understand the living, you got to commune with the dead.
    Minerva

Aren't all the faces that she painted in her portraits hers, irrespective of topic?
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

Quote Originally Posted by McCourt View Post
    I'm watching the movie right now. In real life, her husband Diego, had to be one of the most unattractive men ever grown. Yikes.
    Holy shit that is one fat ugly man with an affinity for short ties and high waist pants.

A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

kandykisses Guest
    I think her life is fascinating-not into her art at all. Maybe the picture for the girl who jumped maybe the family asked for it or wanted a painting like that-if they liked her work they probably knew what to expect. A lot of her stuff is kind of gruesome like the one she did about her birth. I think Madonna once said she could never be friends with someone who did like that birth painting and I thought boohoo guess I'll never be her friend. At the time the Frieda movie project was buzzing and I think Madonna just wanted the role. It tooks years and dedication for it to finally be made and I think Selma Hayek was great.

havoc Guest
    Loved the movie of a very interesting individual.

I can't say I'm a huge fan of her art though. The Market Square (El Mercado) down in San Antonio was FULL of her prints and stuff at pretty good prices.

Quote Originally Posted by ichabodius View Post
    Holy shit that is one fat ugly man with an affinity for short ties and high waist pants.

My guess his nickname was 'tripod'.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

Quote Originally Posted by kandykisses
    I think Madonna once said she could never be friends with someone who did like that birth painting and I thought boohoo guess I'll never be her friend.
    Guess that makes two of us. Tissue?

Diego and Frida had an open relationship. He had several lovers, and so did she, including lesbian flings. Maybe it was one of these cases where the guy's personality overcomes his looks...

The story of Frida Kahlo, Dorothy Hale, and Clare Booth Luce who had actually commissioned the portrait, then, horrified, did NOT send it on to Dorothy's mother, and even CENSORED part of it:

http://lisawallerrogers.wordpress.co...-dorothy-hale/

Evidently Ms. Luce did not know of the Mexican custom of graphic portrayals of death.

The photo of Frida and Diego on this particular blog looks like she is trying to feel their unborn child which he is gallantly carrying for her. A sweet tender picture, in a way.
    Last edited by Linnie; 09-20-2011 at 07:00 PM.

Death pic: Frida Kahlo on her deathbed - July 1954

http://www.codex99.com/photography/f...he-camera.html (scroll down)

http://thecoincidentaldandy.blogspot...ican-icon.html (scroll down)

Quote Originally Posted by cindyt View Post
    There are a few who aren't happy with it including Salma Hayek. They don't like the fact she's been softened up and has no unibrow or moustache.