Thread: Rhea Mitchell

Guest Guest

Wink Rhea Mitchell

Rhea Mitchell (10 December 1890 Portland, Oregon - 16 September 1957, Los Angeles, California) was an American silent film actress. Mitchell was slender with blue eyes. She earned the name of the little stunt girl because of her willingness to attempt thrilling scenes in motion pictures.

Mitchell began her career in 1909 playing stock in Portland. She followed a season in vaudeville with a run at the Alcazar Theater in San Francisco, California.

She starred in over 100 films between 1912 and 1952 in films such as The Diamond from the Sky (1915). Working in films, she appeared a number of times with Western star William S. Hart playing a leading role in those films. In 1916 she played in The Brink with Forrest Winant and Arthur Maude.

However after 1917 her roles became smaller and she appeared in a handful of films through the mid-30s and in several bit parts during the early 1950s often which went uncredited.

During her retirement she managed a large apartment house in Los Angeles. She was managing a second apartment, the La Brea District Apartments, in 1957 when a disgruntled houseboy named Sonnie Hartford, Jr., strangled her with the sash-cord of her blue silk dressing gown. The apartment was located in the southwest section of Los Angeles.

Officers discovered locked windows and said Mitchell likely knew her killer and had let him in her apartment. She lived alone and had never been married. The murder was similar to three unsolved slayings which occurred in the Los Feliz district in the six preceding months.

My goodness ... here is a huge Mystery to unravel !!!
    There's more to the truth than just the facts. ~Author Unknown

Vamp Guest
    What a sad ending. I am surprised the police never solved the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Vamp View Post
    What a sad ending. I am surprised the police never solved the case.

Oay think I misunderstood the text then... wasn´t it that Hartford bloke who did it????
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Love is the answer - and you know that for sure.

Vamp Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by AnneBoleyn View Post
    Oay think I misunderstood the text then... wasn´t it that Hartford bloke who did it????
    I may have misread it too. It doesn't sound like Hartford was arrested.

But it did say, that he strangled her didn´t it??
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Love is the answer - and you know that for sure.

Vamp Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by AnneBoleyn View Post
    But it did say, that he strangled her didn´t it??
    That's true. I would assume if he strangled her, they must have arrested him. I am a ditz. LOL I wonder if they arrested him for the three similar crimes.

Guest Guest
    Mysterious eh!