Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stanley Kubrick

reving19 Guest

Stanley Kubrick

A genius to end all geniuses.

(If you never heard of him, he directed "The Shining" with Jack Nicholson; "Full Metal Jacket"; "2001:A Space Odyssey"; "Dr. Strangelove"; and "A Clockwork Orange.")

I'm a huge Kubrick fan. Love Dr. Strangelove, 2001, A Clockwork Orange, The Shining....

It's a shame that his last film was Eyes Wide Shut.

ST Moron Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by reving19 View Post
    Don't forget the "driven" part.

One of the stars of The Shining was old-timer Scatman Crothers, one of my favorite people. Jack Nicholson, for all of his creepiness and dirtbag lifestyle, earned my undying respect when I read about how Kubrick originally planned to have Crothers do 70 takes for one scene and:

Jack Nicholson talked Kubrick into going easy on the 70-year-old Crothers and stopping after 40. At one point during the filming, Crothers became so exasperated with Kubrick's notorious, compulsive style of excessive retakes that he broke down and cried, asking "What do you want, Mr. Kubrick?"

Of course, his wanting 70 takes of one scene with my man Scatman was absolute slacking when compared to Shelley Duvall: apparently he did 127 takes of a scene with her.

So I agree with you when you claim that he was a genius: he was.

But at the same time, I think it's only fair to point out that he was also someone who wasn't afraid to chew people up....and spit them out once he got what he wanted out of them.

erin Guest
    most genius' are very eccentric, and i think kubric personnified eccentric.

mandi Guest
    A clockwork orange is in my top 5 of all time- in Australia we call the local shop a milk bar and since i have seen that film i never can look at a "milk bar" the same way, how odd.
    Kubrick was a genius but on the verge of craziness i feel

relander Guest
    Kubrick was one the greatest directors ever! The film "2001:A Space Odyssey" never ceases to amaze me! Pure genius!

Quote Originally Posted by Fool Moon View Post
    I'm a huge Kubrick fan. Love Dr. Strangelove, 2001, A Clockwork Orange, The Shining....

It's a shame that his last film was Eyes Wide Shut.
    I actually liked eyes wide shut... and if I remember correctly he directed it from his death bed. Maybe we should give the guy a break on this one and consider the movie prior his real last film.

Quote Originally Posted by ST Moron View Post
    he was also someone who wasn't afraid to chew people up....and spit them out once he got what he wanted out of them.
    That's show business!

reving19 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jason8478 View Post
    I actually liked eyes wide shut... and if I remember correctly he directed it from his death bed. Maybe we should give the guy a break on this one and consider the movie prior his real last film.
    I have been showing my best friend's brother-in-law Kubrick movies lately. He is 21 and has never seen most of them, until now. Anyway, I showed him "Eyes Wide Shut" the other day and he liked it. I think it was more about the dangers of infidelity rather than sex. It may mean something else to others. Kubrick once said he would never argue with anyone's interpretation of "2001." I'm sure that goes for his other movies including this one.

Darrianne Guest
    Oh yes, on the special edition DVD of The Shining that I have, it has some footage before, during and after shooting the movie. He was without mercy with Shelley. She would almost be in tears. She makes me want to smack her........but in the candid footage, it was almost like he hated her and was out to make her break down.....

smellslikealmonds Guest
    My favorite is Full Metal Jacket. The scene in the head is the best part when Leonard kills the drill sargeant and then blows his brains out. I also think Vincent D'onofrio is brilliant. But anyway....

erin Guest
    D'onofrio is an excellent actor. I don't think he's givien the credit he deserves. I liked Full Metal Jacket the most out of Kubrick's movies.

djdeath-hag Guest
    My partner pointed out to me earlier this evening, before we stumbled on this thread that Stanley Kubrick was born on the very same day as my dad.....I wish my old man could've had as long of a run.....RIP to both of those guys born on 7/26/28

mrsjorgy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by smellslikealmonds View Post
    My favorite is Full Metal Jacket. The scene in the head is the best part when Leonard kills the drill sargeant and then blows his brains out. I also think Vincent D'onofrio is brilliant. But anyway....

Did you know that Anthony Michael Hall was set to play Matthew Modine's part, but I guess he was a big complainer so Stanley fired him.

I was watching some biography channel special on the brat pack last night.

My favorite Kubrick movie is The Shining. The atmosphere is so eerie. I once dreamed the last scene of the movie, where Jack Nicholson came after me with an axe while I was running around through the hedge maze!

I once spent a couple of days at the Ahwahnee Hotel in Yosemite Park and when I walked into the lounge I couldn't help but notice that it remindend me so much of the Colorado Lounge in the Shining. Years later I found out that they actually based the sets of the Shining on this very hotel!

jesska_812 Guest
    Even though Stephen King wasn't thrilled with it, I loved what he did with The Shining. It gets scarier and scarier everytime I see it.

scarletfever1971 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by reving19 View Post

(If you never heard of him, he directed "The Shining" with Jack Nicholson; "Full Metal Jacket"; "2001:A Space Odyssey"; "Dr. Strangelove"; and "A Clockwork Orange.")
    I didn't know he directed "Full Metal Jacket".

RoRo Guest
    The Shining is a classic and just gets better every time I see it...I am always watching movies again and seeing little nuances that I missed before

HARLOWNUMBER1 Guest
    Actually, the longest take ever recorded by Kubrick was between Scatman and little Danny Lloyd when Scatman was in the kitchen explaining to him what the shining was. According to Steadicam inventor, Garrett Brown, Kubrick did 148 takes!

On a different note................

Do you all also know that Kubrick was slated to be the original director on the western One-Eyed Jacks (1961), and that Marlon fired Kubrick from the project and directed the film himself? According to Kubrick's producing partner James B. Harris, Stanley admired Marlon as an actor a great deal, but they just couldn't get along. He said that Stanley was not quite prepared for just how eccentric Marlon could be. Harris also shared a bizarre story about he and Kubrick meeting Marlon up at his Mulholland Estate, and that Marlon had them take of their shoes and pants before entering the residence. During the course of a meeting they were having, Harris said that Marlon had this gong on his end of the room and would get up and strike it anytime anyone said something he objected to. Kubrick spent nearly a year working on this project after Paths of Glory, but he just thought Marlon's screenplay for One-Eyed jacks made very little sense. Apparently, the filmed ended up being nearly six-hours long once Marlon was done, but the studio took the film from Marlon and trimmed it for theatrical distribution, much to Marlon's dissatisfaction. An interesting association often overlooked by the official family approved biographies and documentaries on both men.

Mrs. Watson Guest
    I love everything he's done but Eyes Wide Shut. I just don't get it. Am I missing something there?

relander Guest
    It's a shame that Kubrick left such a number of unrealized projects behind...

I see dead people Guest

Lobsters Guest
    LMAO. Poor Shelley....

guyinpto Guest
    whatever happened to shelly???is she alive and kicking?

D3LIVIÃ?N Guest

Eyes wide shut

I liked that movie a lot to. Years ago....For a week or so while it was raining I would watch that for a little while, then fall asleep to different parts in that movie wake up again and so on. I don't know if it was just the rain, or the creepy 3 piano notes that play over and over again until it makes you want to stab someone yourself, but I gained some sort of new found respect for it after that. It is very David Lynch like.

jhasty1210 Guest
    Back around 1987 I managed a purchasing department at a hospital in San Francisco
    and a girl who worked for me in a summer job said she was his niece or something like that. She was a nice person a little spacey though.

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    The word "genius" is thrown around a lot lately (as is the word "hero"), however I do think it applies in Kubrick's case.
    '2001' and 'A Clockwork Orange' are two of the greatest films ever made...they both get better with each viewing. Love his early stuff too: 'Paths of Glory' and 'Lolita.' Just watched 'Barry Lyndon' again, which is also a masterpiece, just glorious filmmaking, and 'Eyes Wide Shut' was also a very good film, not great, but definitely really really good.
    I'm not down with 'The Shining,' however, I felt it was by far his biggest misstep--now that has a lot to do with the fact that I'm a big Stephen King fan and Kubrick completely missed the mark with that adaptation. Compared to King's source material, the movie quite frankly sucked and I didn't find it even remotely frightening. Great cinematography, don't get me wrong, but he really screwed with the story elements and came up with a real bomb, IMO. But that's really my only problem with his filmography--his death left a huge hole in the film world.

GrinReaper Guest
    This makes watching The Shining a bit less scarey!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMlF2...eature=related

29. 11-17-2007, 07:03 AM

Noelle Page Guest
    His wife and daughter are wonderful artists, you can see their paintings in Eyes Wide Shut.

Jazbabee Guest
    shame that I can't think of a talent currently that compares to his

Quote Originally Posted by Noelle Page View Post
    His wife and daughter are wonderful artists, you can see their paintings in Eyes Wide Shut.
    I'm sorry, but I thought Eyes Wide shut was a a really bad movie. Too bad Kubrick couldn't have left this earth with something better in the can.

relander Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Aries65 View Post
    I'm sorry, but I thought Eyes Wide shut was a a really bad movie. Too bad Kubrick couldn't have left this earth with something better in the can.
    I agree. He should have retired after Full Metal Jacket.
    Last edited by relander; 11-22-2007 at 09:05 AM.

Nowereman Guest
    Apparently if you play Eyes Wide Shut backwards it says 'Paul is dead'

reving19 Guest

A.I.

I wish he had worked on "A.I." instead of Spielberg. That would have been awesome.
    (If you don't know, Kubrick was working on "A.I." on and of for years. I believe he was going to make it his next project after "Eyes Wide Shut." After he died, Spielberg went ahead and made it. But like one critic said, it was like playing a musical piece written for brass on a woodwind instrument. I see Kubrick touches, but not like it would have been if he had done it.)

tngirl1967 Guest

Talking

I liked Eyes Wide Shut too . It wasn't an "in your face" type of plot. There is symbolism strewn throughout the movie. The theme of consequences of infidelity is fairly strong, you just have to view it, actually, with eyes wide shut.....don't watch what's being presented, watch the symbolism and consequences of behavior. The hiding behind costumes and masks, the prostitute who shows positive for a disease, the consequences of the drug use of the girl at the party he treats, etc. etc.

Ceci Guest
    There isn't anyone that compares to Kubrick's artistry. By far, my favorite films of his are "The Killing" (the ending was a classic), "A Clockwork Orange" (I'll never think of "Singing in the Rain" the same way again), "Barry Lyndon" (the scene of the duel was rather classic as well as the war scenes) and, of course, "Full Metal Jacket" (although John Woo's epic about the Vietnam war was more disturbing, this one is one of the most disturbing films about Nam this side of the "Deer Hunter").

tngirl1967 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Ceci View Post
    There isn't anyone that compares to Kubrick's artistry. By far, my favorite films of his are "The Killing" (the ending was a classic), "A Clockwork Orange" (I'll never think of "Singing in the Rain" the same way again), "Barry Lyndon" (the scene of the duel was rather classic as well as the war scenes) and, of course, "Full Metal Jacket" (although John Woo's epic about the Vietnam war was more disturbing, this one is one of the most disturbing films about Nam this side of the "Deer Hunter").
    I have a really, REALLY hard time viewing any type of glazed porcelain statuary since I saw that movie without thinking of his weapon of choice against the pervy spandex queen! Also, I think about those devices that held his eyelids open every time I go to the eye doctor!

I love Full Metal Jacket of course, but somehow have gotten the mere mention of that movie connected in my brain with the Too Live Crew song. Also, "Alabama black snake" in the "too bookoo" scene makes me laugh so hard I nearly pee.

leevancleef Guest
    My favorite kubrick films are, in this order:

A CLOCKWORK ORANGE
    FULL METAL JACKET
    DR STRANGELOVE
    BARRY LYNDON
    SPARTACUS

reving19 Guest
    This is sort of a bump, but I am surprised Kubrick hasn't received more attention here since his name comes up a lot in Illuminati conspiracy theories (not saying I believe them, but a lot of people believe he was killed by the Illuminati for revealing too many secrets in his movies.)

Ted Challinor Guest
    I love the majority of his work too, especially Barry Lyndon - which I went to the NFT in London in 1987 to see on a big screen - and Paths of Glory. Does anyone else see the very English electricity pylon on the horizon as a copter lands in the Bird is the Word sequence of Full Metal Jacket ? Craftsman, yes, but so scared of flying he filmed as much as he could nearby to where he lived......

He was certainly inventive. He found out about a camera lens that NASA had developed which had an F-stop of 1.0 or 0.5 thereabouts, which was to be used in a mapping satellite which got cancelled. He bought it and had it adapted for a Panniflex camera.

The scene in Barry Lyndon at the ball where they are gambling was shot using the NASA lens with the light of the candles only, no additional light. Brilliant!

It gives you an impression of what the ambience was like in those days in a space illuminated by candles only.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	barry_lyndon.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	43.3 KB 
ID:	44807
    Last edited by neilmpenny; 01-27-2013 at 09:45 AM.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

DarkFlax Guest
    Rob Ager is a movie analyst that has created many videos on the meaning of Kubrick's (and other directors) films. Very interesting stuff. Here are his channels -

http://www.youtube.com/user/robag555

http://www.youtube.com/user/robag88

A lot of his videos are not hosted by him on youtube, but if you search "Rob Ager" you will find just about all of them.

RIP Stanley

Sadly, they don't make films like
    his anymore.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

Whitdal Guest
    Kubrick was the reason I am so interested in film today. He was kind of a strange man to other people but wow, the talent and artistic ability he has with his work is unmatched. I read a complete breakdown and explanation of the Shining as far as theatrical elements and hidden messages in the film and it was crazy how much he would analyze a scene (read: the elevator full of blood scene in The Shining. There is a body in there among the blood) to get it just right. Very meticulous man.

Recently heard on Coast to Coast AM (overnight alternative/conspiracy theory/nutcase radio) that he faked the moon landing for NASA.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    I enjoyed eyes wide shut as well. Frankly I think it was brilliant in its own way. It got panned initially, but I've seen it differently upon rewatching it years later than I did upon release. I also believe Tom/Nicole and their ultimate divorce and relationship probably tainted it for a lot of people.

Quote Originally Posted by Fool Moon View Post
    All great.

I remember the debacle of The Shining as well. (Saw it at a midnight screening the first night it came out. A big deal back then.)Going over budget and taking much longer to film than originally planned. He was a perfectionist though like most exceptional directors being why ofcourse.

I loved his work. I read a schlock magazine called Atlantis Rising; it's hilarious - full of faulty reasoning from which "logical conclusions" are drawn. The other night I read an article about how Kubrick was recruited by NASA to fake footage of the moon landing because he was the only one with the technical skills to make it look real. Naturally; decades later he had to be killed to keep him quite. I kind of liked Eyes Wide Shut, btw.
    A faulty hypothesis forming:
    A German scientist using Iranian physics and French mathematics.

I only like the first half of Full Metal Jacket - once the boot camp stuff is over, is when I usually turn it off.

I really like Clockwork - my favorite part is when all the hooligans are riding around in that car together doing crazy shit. I usually laugh my ass off at that scene.

And love The Shining also.

See if you can track down the documentary 'Room 237', which deals with the underlying meaning of Kubrick's films. They pull the movies as well as the key scenes in each of them apart. Layer upon layer. Fantastic stuff.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny