View Poll Results: Are you for against assisted suicide?

Voters
79. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    47 59.49%
  • No

    9 11.39%
  • In certain cases (explain)

    21 26.58%
  • Don't care one way or the other

    2 2.53%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 132

Thread: Assisted Suicide

  1. #1
    Guest Guest

    Assisted Suicide

    [SIZE=4]Someone very close to you is in pain, paralyzed, and will die in a month. They beg you to give them poison so they that they can die. Would you?
    [/SIZE]

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Redlands, So Cal USA
    Posts
    577
    yep. I've done it for pets. Humans should have that choice too, imo.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,494
    Yes. I do believe in Euthinasia

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    535
    I would WANT to do it, but I don't think I *could* do it. I would be OK with someone else doing it, but I would be second guessing myself the rest of my life....wondering if a miracle or something other unknown would have changed the circumstances and I took a life for nothing.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    3,917
    Geez, I hope I would never be in a situation like that...I like to think that I could & would. I've done it for my pets too JeffD, of course at the vet, not with poison. I do believe in euthinasia as computerguy stated above. After all I'm from Michigan...the home of the Doctor of Death, Jack Kavorkein. Never thought they should have locked him up, he's out now but lost a lot of years behind bars...I feel he's an angel of mercy not the doctor of death.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    5,446
    Absofuckinglutely!!!!! Not that I'd be happy about it...but what would be worse is watching a loved one suffer, begging for relief & for me to say no. I can only hope that if the dying shoe were on the other foot, so to speak, that someone would do the same for me.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Redlands, So Cal USA
    Posts
    577
    Quote Originally Posted by panda View Post
    Geez, I hope I would never be in a situation like that...I like to think that I could & would. I've done it for my pets too JeffD, of course at the vet, not with poison. I do believe in euthinasia as computerguy stated above. After all I'm from Michigan...the home of the Doctor of Death, Jack Kavorkein. Never thought they should have locked him up, he's out now but lost a lot of years behind bars...I feel he's an angel of mercy not the doctor of death.
    Agreed, not with poison. I know I could do it for someone I love. In fact, myself and 2 of my 3 brothers have orders to turn off the life support for each other if there's no hope.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    703
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruffian View Post
    I would WANT to do it, but I don't think I *could* do it. I would be OK with someone else doing it, but I would be second guessing myself the rest of my life....wondering if a miracle or something other unknown would have changed the circumstances and I took a life for nothing.
    My thoughts exactly!
    At my age I do what Mark Twain did. I get my daily paper, look at the obituaries page and if I'm not there I carry on as usual."
    Patrick Moore.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,152
    I just don't know, I think I might be too selfish, and that although i'd want to help I would just want to have them alive for as long as possible.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Lakewood, WA
    Posts
    3,270
    Yep I could

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    14,001
    No question, I would do it as long as it was painless....seen too many people die a slow and horrible death.....we do it for animals....we should let that be a dying persons choice....

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    9,141
    I would do it, because it's the right thing. Wouldn't want to somehow end up in jail like old Dr. Death tho. (also originally from MI)

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Hawaii
    Posts
    1,622
    Yes.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    801
    Wow, I hope I am never in that situation. I do believe in mercy killing, and I have promised someone I would do that if they ever get into a seriously advanced Alzheimer's situation. However, if the time ever comes, I don't know if I will be able to do that as their last wish.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    162
    Quote Originally Posted by MorbidMolly View Post
    No question, I would do it as long as it was painless....seen too many people die a slow and horrible death.....we do it for animals....we should let that be a dying persons choice....
    My thoughts exactly.
    “One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure its worth watching.”

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    illinois
    Posts
    3,415
    If I was sure there was no hope, yes I would help them do it. I would probably never tell another soul.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    357
    Quote Originally Posted by djdeath-hag View Post
    Absofuckinglutely!!!!! Not that I'd be happy about it...but what would be worse is watching a loved one suffer, begging for relief & for me to say no. I can only hope that if the dying shoe were on the other foot, so to speak, that someone would do the same for me.

    Yeah! What he said!

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Putnam CT USA
    Posts
    680
    yes
    Take care,
    Harry

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    932
    i would if i knew i wouldn't go to jail....

    having seen my mom and my sister suffer horribly from colon and pancreatic cancer (respectively) i would have done so myself.... but the idea of going to prison for an act of mercy held me back... thank god, there is hospice, where the wonderful hospice nurses helped usher them out....

    we are nicer and more humane to our animals and murderers than we are our beloved human relatives in this society....
    "Why does everything I whip leave me?"
    Homer to the universe-at-large
    The Simpsons Movie

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Portland, Maine
    Posts
    351
    Die with dignity. We let the pets go if they suffer, why not people?
    The survival of everyone on board depends on just one thing: finding someone on board who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    1,607
    If it was someone I know very well I don't think I could do it.....I think I would feel very guilty about doing the deed.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,441
    Yes, and I would hope that someone who loved me would do the same for me.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    NoHo Arts District-L.A.
    Posts
    5,802
    In a heartbeat. That's what I'd want
    peek-a-boo!!

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    23
    yes.


  25. #25
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    728
    My mom asked my dad to help her. He couldn't do it. After watching her die from cancer, she should have asked me, Lord know we had enough morophine and demerol to do the trick. I hope someone would do that for me, except, my family probably won't wait until I'm sick!!!


    It's funny the way most people love the dead. Once you're dead, you're made for life.
    -- Jimi Hendrix

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    616
    I could do it. I have pushed the morphine, pulled out the breathing tube, turned off the IV drips and monitors so many times for patients that I was very close to, or close to their family. I have seen people drowning in their own secreations and even while sedated wince in pain. I would never want my family to suffer like that.

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    541
    Quote Originally Posted by Littleroben View Post
    I just don't know, I think I might be too selfish, and that although i'd want to help I would just want to have them alive for as long as possible.
    Ditto.

  28. #28
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    3,078
    I hope I'm never in a situation like that.

  29. #29
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Who Really Cares
    Posts
    2,025
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweetsumthin View Post
    [SIZE=4]Someone very close to you is in pain, paralyzed, and will die in a month. They beg you to give them poison so they that they can die. Would you?
    [/SIZE]
    sounds like something I LIVED through...I'm glad Dr. Kervorkian wasn't around
    because I survived to make lots of cash and meet some very lovely ladies

  30. #30
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Fayetteville, Tennessee
    Posts
    3,882
    i would hope that I could because I would want someone to do it for me, but I'm just not sure

  31. #31
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    florida
    Posts
    280
    I couldn't. My mom has a do not resuscitate order and I'm not even sure I can deal with that.

  32. #32
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    801
    No poison, but enough demerol, morphine, etc - perhaps I could do it. I hope it never comes to that.

  33. #33
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Rehab
    Posts
    1,483
    I'd serve time happily if I knew in the back of my mind I'd helped a family member avoid suffering.

  34. #34
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    3,186
    I'm just not sure...I hope and pray I'll never have to face that..
    Zombie kitteh is Hungry!!

  35. #35
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    182
    I would if I could get a way with it! It's unfortunate loved ones are faced with such situations. It should be a right to choose and there should be channels available to legally do so.

  36. #36
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Lakewood, WA
    Posts
    3,270

    Assisted Suicide

    Here in WA state we are getting ready to vote on I-1000 which is the assisted suicide measure. Go here to read the text of the issue
    http://www.secstate.wa.gov/elections/initiatives/text/i1000.pdf

    So, what do you think? Yes? No? Maybe?

    WE ARE TALKING ABOUT MEDICALLY ASSISTED SUICIDE LIKE DR. KEVORKIAN TYPE STUFF

    Sorry should have made that clear.
    Last edited by xenaswolf; 09-22-2008 at 01:01 AM.

  37. #37
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Mission, Texas
    Posts
    6,469
    I have mixed feelings about this. I certainly could never assist in anyone's suicide.

  38. #38
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,046
    I agree with assisted suicide.

  39. #39
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    California
    Posts
    892
    If it were me i would want help dying if i was too weak to have a real life!
    "So, If you meet me have some courtesy have some sympathy and some taste, use all you're well earned politics, Or I'll lay your soul to waste."
    Sympathy for the Devil


  40. #40
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Bama Baby!
    Posts
    2,820
    It would depend on why they wanted to die. My brother committed suicide and from that stand point, no. If someone was in a coma in a veg state, then yes. Who knows, someone may just be having a bad day and want to end it all but the next day is an entire new day. They may not feel that way then. Its and iffy either way.

  41. #41
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    3,232
    I would not want to see it abused....only in cases of extreme physical pain associated with a terrible or terminal illness.

    Trouble is, where do you draw that line and who gets to do the drawing?

    Seems to me these days we are really getting into areas of life, death and morality that, frankly, I wish we wouldn't try to legislate. I do think some things should be dealt with very privately. Just....sssshhhhhh.

    Ah but then....oh crap, it's complicated, isn't it?
    Last edited by Noelle Page; 09-21-2008 at 10:21 PM.

  42. #42
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    canadia
    Posts
    4,601
    does a 'yes' vote mean for it or against it?

  43. #43
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    4,508
    I was never for it until I watched my father die a most cruel and agonizing death from ALS/Lou Gehrigs disease. Especially in cases such as this, where there is no cure, a patient should have a right to choose if they so desire, and they are clearly facing the end. After all, as I came to realize, it is not for us here on earth to ultimately answer in the hereafter (if that's what you believe in). But it is up to the patient, and if they are at peace with their decision is every way, then they should be given the option of doing this with dignity .


    What fresh hell is this ? ~ Dorothy Parker

    ]

  44. #44
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    2,547
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazbabee View Post
    I was never for it until I watched my father die a most cruel and agonizing death from ALS/Lou Gehrigs disease. Especially in cases such as this, where there is no cure, a patient should have a right to choose if they so desire, and they are clearly facing the end. After all, as I came to realize, it is not for us here on earth to ultimately answer in the hereafter (if that's what you believe in). But it is up to the patient, and if they are at peace with their decision is every way, then they should be given the option of doing this with dignity .
    This is my answer, too, except it was my mother that died from ALS. After watching that I am all for helping anyone in a situation like that. It was horrible.

  45. #45
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    4,508
    Quote Originally Posted by jeca View Post
    This is my answer, too, except it was my mother that died from ALS. After watching that I am all for helping anyone in a situation like that. It was horrible.
    I suppose I should have added to my answer that I am pro assisted suicide in the case of illness. But I would not be for it in the case of Joe Blow who just wants to check out because they are depressed or thinks life stinks.


    What fresh hell is this ? ~ Dorothy Parker

    ]

  46. #46
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Azusa, California
    Posts
    8,204
    I'm the same way. If I'm old and most of my loved ones are gone (and I'm in a lot of physical pain) I'd probably want to be euthanised. I would also want to do something flashy and "dramatic"...

    ...I would want to enterain my FAD followers in the process...that's very important to me...

    ...WITH REALLY JUICY FOOTAGE! Around the year 2069.

    Quote Originally Posted by Irie Ignatius View Post
    If it were me i would want help dying if i was too weak to have a real life!

  47. #47
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Lakewood, WA
    Posts
    3,270
    Yeah I am all for it in the case of terminal illness, major pain etc. Not just cuz.

  48. #48
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,384
    Medical euthanasia - yes.


    Assisted suicide - if you helped someone blow his/her brains out, wouldn't that be classified as murder?


    My Sweet George Feb 25 1943 - November 29 2001
    Many thanks to IHTT for my FAB signature!

  49. #49
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,384
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadRinger View Post
    Medical euthanasia - yes.


    Assisted suicide - if you helped someone blow his/her brains out, wouldn't that be classified as murder?
    What I mean is, if you helped someone with a traditional suicide, then doesn't it cease being a suicide, knowing that it means death by your own hand?


    My Sweet George Feb 25 1943 - November 29 2001
    Many thanks to IHTT for my FAB signature!

  50. #50
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Bama Baby!
    Posts
    2,820
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadRinger View Post
    What I mean is, if you helped someone with a traditional suicide, then doesn't it cease being a suicide, knowing that it means death by your own hand?

    very good point. I think it would be murder then. If you have the full capability to kill yourself, then you don't need any assistance. Then the answer is no I would not help. If I was unable to do anything myself or was very limited in my movment, then yes I can agree to it. But, either way, it would be murder cause it would result to you causing the life of another. Thats were the very fine line would be drawn. I think that sums up what most of us think in a round about way.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •