Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite Songs

endsleigh03 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by NOVSTORM View Post
    Down South we always said BIlly jumped because he was gay or had been raped and couldn't live with it. That was her doll she threw away because it had been there when the rape occured. We like endings to shit ever since the damn civil war LOL
    Lmao!

a clever sheep Guest
    Thank you for the birthday greetings, Xenaswolf! Most kind of you. I took myself to Disneyland on the 3rd and had a swell time.

cachluv Guest
    Billy Joe was teasing her about her doll and it got dropped accidentally.

Billy Joe got drunk after some town hoe-down and got in line to screw some hookers but ended up willfully having sex with a man. Anybody remember when he told Bobbi Lee about it? "It's an abomination!" he screamed at her. "An abomination against God and against man!" and she tried to tell him it would be okay, that she loved him but he hated himself so much he jumped after disappearing on a three day drunk. I loved how they found his one white shoe, a white buck from the pair he was so proud of.

Fabulous book. I'm from Appalachia so their tiny town and homestead all rang so dear and familiar. I know I read that book 50 times. I was a HUGE Robby Benson fan.

DJ--I thought I would be the only one to remember 'The Death of Richie'. His mom was played by Eileen Brennan, one of my all time favorites

Yes, dude is aging well. He used to produce alot of the 'Ellen' episodes and he also produced alot of the 'Friends' episodes. He's done so much more........
    Last edited by cachluv; 06-04-2008 at 04:01 PM.

Down South we always said BIlly jumped because he was gay or had been raped and couldn't live with it. That was her doll she threw away because it had been there when the rape occured. We like endings to shit ever since the damn civil war LOL
    If I remember the book correctly, the doll "Benjamin" was tossed over the bridge. Billy Joe either had too much to drink at a dance and had sex with a man or was raped by a man. He jumped after the dance.

hoxharding Guest

I think that was how the movie went- Wasn't there a scene with him and a guy?
    I just thought the movie was based on a song.Or is it?
    Perhaps, if Billy Joe was attacked, they threw the clothes he was wearing during the attack? That way his folks wouldn't find them?*shrug*
    It is a book? Hmm-must find it.

I was young but I remember that song, and all the conjecture about it. I now think it was partly the unusual key of the music that got to people. I remember saying to my older sister... "What difference does it make that she's been cooking all morning... if she's not hungry, she's not hungry?" I said it because my sister was making way too much of the song (in my young bratty opinion) and this really pissed her off. Mission accomplished (at that time). This was a brilliant thing to bring up... thanks.

I haven't thought of that song in awhile! Thanks!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]peek-a-boo!!

**Jenna** Guest
    I saw that movie when I was little and didn't understand why he jumped off the bridge.

Heavenly Tiger Guest
    That song is just so creepy

djdeath-hag Guest
    Thank you to all of you, (Novstorm, Cachluv, Alanwench, & Hoxharding) for refreshing my failing memory about why Billy Joe or Billie Joe jumped. I'd forgotten about the gay sex storyline.....which is not like me. I rarely forget about gay sex!

Also belated Happy Birthday to a clever sheep, and welcome to our world!

HagHugs, Dennis

Old clip of singer BOBBIE GENTRY
    on THE SMOTHER BROTHERS SHOW
    singing the song . . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDktptaIgC8
    KELT' HOME FOR WAYWARD YOUTH-
    Helping Young Men To Turn Around For Over Twenty Years !

KristinEileen Guest
    Ummmm, I totally don't get...must be my age but I don't think I have ever heard this song in my life and the lyrics confuse the shit outta me! Someone please explain or send me to the right website...lol

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    One of my all-time favorite songs. I remember very clearly the summer of 1967, listening to this song, over and over, during our family's annual lazy vacation at 'the river.'

At the time, people generally thought that they were throwing flowers off the bridge, as that is referenced at the end of the song...though now that I read the lyrics again, she could be throwing flowers off the bridge simply in remembrance. Dunno, but Bobbie Gentry, who also wrote the song, said that there was purposely no reason given for Billie Joe's suicide--and that she had never conceived a reason for the suicide while writing the song...it was meant to be a moot point.

I thought the movie was an abomination, actually...just awful...the doll, the gay sex, all that expository stuff, was written in a novelization of a screenplay almost a decade later, not by Gentry--her intent was to leave it all a mystery. Hate the movie, LOVE the song.

Some questions are just better left unanswered. Regardless--thank you, simon, for the memories.

dirk diggler Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Odo'ital View Post
    Didn't Robbie Benson have some sort of major cardiac issues requiring surgery when he was younger?

I remember reading and/or hearing about this in the 1970's.
    Yes i remember hearing of that as well ..........

Benson was born with a heart defect, necessitating heart valve surgery in October 1984, and again in 1998. He recently underwent a third surgery. He is an activist and fundraiser for heart research, and wrote the book, lyrics, and music for a play called Open Heart, starring Benson and his wife Karla, which opened and closed off-Broadway in 2004.

hoxharding Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by dirk diggler View Post
    Yes i remember hearing of that as well ..........

Benson was born with a heart defect, necessitating heart valve surgery in October 1984, and again in 1998. He recently underwent a third surgery. He is an activist and fundraiser for heart research, and wrote the book, lyrics, and music for a play called Open Heart, starring Benson and his wife Karla, which opened and closed off-Broadway in 2004.

But you can buy the CD from the play on his website!*lol*=)

Thanks for the memories! Love the song.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Mrs. Watson Guest
    I I've always loved that song. The movie, ehhh. Robbie Benson is sure handsome. Hubba hubba.

True confession: I actually got Ice Castles from Netflix a while back and watched it. I loved it and saw it several times as a youngster.

It really really sucks. It's doesn't even suck so much it's good and cheesy camp.

secretsquirrel13 Guest

Cool The Diarrhea Song

http://diarrheasong.blogspot.com/

Anyone remember this song from the movie Parenthood?
    Well...someone has more free time than I do...they made a website about it...
    Of course...I still have too much free time if I not only looked at it but read all thru it....

yeah...I'm bored....

Quote Originally Posted by secretsquirrel13 View Post
    http://diarrheasong.blogspot.com/

Anyone remember this song from the movie Parenthood?
    Well...someone has more free time than I do...they made a website about it...
    Of course...I still have too much free time if I not only looked at it but read all thru it....

yeah...I'm bored....
    LOL, that's where that came from...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsvGs...feature=colike

My own, personal, Dexter...

1karenhb Guest
    I loved that song. The only line I remembered is "When you're sliding into home and your pants are full of foam ......". I used to sing it to my ex and gross him out.

Dying Breath Guest
    "When your sliding into first and your feeling something squirt..."

"When your sliding into third, and you feel a juicy turd......"

Excellent find, SecretSquirt!

I checked the site, but didn't find what I thought was the intro to the song: "Sittin' on the can, watchin' Chico & The Man..."

mcconk2 Guest
    I haven't heard the song or seen the movie so I am going with the "he was pushed" theory

Mamma Guest

Thumbs up

Thanks for the bump here. I've got the film on dvd, and the doll was accidentally dropped off the bridge when the two (Billy Joe and Bobbie Lee) were fighting over it. I always thought it funny Billy Joe's accent when he said "doll". It sounded more like "dall" when he screamed it. And yeah, as for the movie, Billy Joe got really really drunk and was taken advantage of by another man; the preacher of all people. The preacher was played by the same guy who played Rosco P. Coltrane from the Dukes of Hazzard. Remember him? He had that basset hound named "Flash'. Heh. Anyhooters ... back to Billy Joe ...

His problem was that even though he was taken advantage of by another man when he was drunk, is that he liked it, and said as much to Bobby Lee. He got all confused as a young man if he wanted to be with men or women poor fella .

And remember, even though Billy Joe and Bobby Lee never really consummated their relationship, there was rumor going around that Bobby Lee was carrying his child. SCANDAL! She never denied she was carrying his child though, and never confirmed it either. Good for Bobby Lee for keeping a strong chin and tight lip while then hens in her small town kept cackling their gossip away. Bobby Lee rocks.

By the way, and totally off topic, DJ ~ that's a mighty sexy pic on your avatar. Nicely done. As for Robby Benson melting your butter? Gimme dap on that ... especially in Ice Castles. Yummy.

mcconk2 Guest
    thanks a bunch Momma!!!

cachluv Guest
    But Billy Joe didn't sleep with the sweaty preacher who was always hitting on Bobbi Lee. He slept with Dewey Barksdale, his boss.
    Last edited by cachluv; 06-08-2008 at 09:13 PM.

Mamma Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cachluv View Post
    But Billy Joe didn't sleep with the sweaty preacher who was always hitting on Bobbi Lee. He slept with Dewey Barksdale, his boss.
    I'll have to watch the film again, but I'd swear it was it was that preacher who took advantage of Billy Joe? It was the same preacher (Rosco P. Coltrane) who was fishing when he saw Billy Joe and Bobby Lee arguing on the bridge when the doll fell. I guess with the song talking about the preacher, they had to wrap him in the film somehow. I'll get back to you on this one, I'll re-watch .

cachluv Guest
    James Best was indeed the sawmill boss Dewey Barksdale. The sweaty preacher, I don't know that actor so quoting his name probably won't do me any good for reference sakes

What a good excuse to rewatch the movie! Good thinking Moms!!

heartbreakdj00 Guest

smooches27 Guest
    Girl, you freaking rule. It might just be me but I think Freddie Mercury had some crazy sex appeal...

Guest Guest
    Freddie Mercury is the most awesome person ever... right now my favorite
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QG-Rv...eature=related

heartbreakdj00 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by smooches27 View Post
    Girl, you freaking rule. It might just be me but I think Freddie Mercury had some crazy sex appeal...
    I so agree.....OoO and that voice...makes my knees weak. He had such an amazing voice.

smooches27 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by heartbreakdj00 View Post
    I so agree.....OoO and that voice...makes my knees weak. He had such an amazing voice.

I know!! And there is just something about the way his mouth moves when he sings...mmmm

heartbreakdj00 Guest
    I know!! And there is just something about the way his mouth moves when he sings...mmmm
    I know

oh...i totally forgot one of my fave songs by them up there....

http://youtube.com/watch?v=MMz-wi50ACU

smooches27 Guest
    I know

oh...i totally forgot one of my fave songs by them up there....

http://youtube.com/watch?v=MMz-wi50ACU

Oh to be that microphone he's holding....

heartbreakdj00 Guest
    Oh to be that microphone he's holding....

haha I know. It would be amazing if he was still alive.

he doesn't sing much anymore...
    pull the string!

Ken Guest
    Total greatness!!!

heartbreakdj00 Guest
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=9h2il09og40

So Sad I just had to hold back tears.

.... But look at the womans eyes at 3:21...SO hilarious.

heartbreakdj00 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by hell0kitty View Post
    he doesn't sing much anymore...
    Thats so sad...but true. lol.

I probably worded something wrong before.

Best Song Ever!?

No fucking around here. One choice only. No seconds or thirds or ties. What do you think is the best song ever?
    Me?

Sympathy For The Devil by The Rolling Stones.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mM-Vv...eature=related

and other outtakes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pc3f8L7Ruuk
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JQHA...eature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuTiT...eature=related
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

oooooooooooooh, I love it when you get all hardass and demanding!

Doors' Light My Fire

I'm not fucking around.

Quote Originally Posted by herekittykitty View Post
    oooooooooooooh, I love it when you get all hardass and demanding!

Doors' Light My Fire

I'm not fucking around.
    Post a link DamnIt!
    You like that?
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

Quote Originally Posted by ichabodius View Post
    Post a link DamnIt!
    You like that?
    ooooooooooooooooh! I like it!

but my PC has no sound (my speakers don't work) so I can't post a link.

errr, you're not going to resort to physical violence by any chance, are ya? big strong fella like you...

Hank Williams-I can't help it if i'm still in love with you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNt_BB-oQK0

smellslikealmonds Guest
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1Ygm9bvjUE
    Buck Owens
    Love's Gonna Live Here

Quote Originally Posted by eca1094 View Post
    Are you a gay man trapped in a womans body?

Quote Originally Posted by ichabodius View Post
    Are you a gay man trapped in a womans body?
    I got to learn to be more careful

Quote Originally Posted by eca1094 View Post
    I got to learn to be more careful
    Ha! Did you mean to link to a Doors song or a Laura Branigan song?